Mt Buller - All you need to know

cyberphobic

Likes Bikes
What are the tracks Outlaw Express and Yellow Post like?
Just got back from Mt Buller today. Outlaw is super over grown and fairly flat as it does a lot of traversing across ski runs. Yellow post is a really nice rough track that winds its way between trees and overs rocks. I found it to be an easier version of International.

Beej1

Does anyone know if the chair lift is operating tomorrow (New Years Day)? Thinking about riding off my hang over. :)
Christ .... I can think of nothing worse that doing that today. I have only just raised from the horizontal position - such is my pain.

Hopefully it wears off before Friday - heading to Buller for the day to escape the 39deg here.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just got back after 7 days of riding, x4 lift days, 1 Delatite day and 1 XC day with a day off in the middle. Hands are destroyed, blisters, bruised and swollen... all worth it. The weather was awesome except for the sunburn.

Copperhead is still slippery as f*&k, watched 5 crashes in 15 mins just past wear Abom joins (off camber + loose gravel), only ego's bruised. There is also a few corners that people are cutting - better traction on grass? The bottom is still great fun.

Loved the improvements made to Abom, it feels to me to flow a lot better now in quite a few places, the extra logs on show off corner put in after boxing day are great and the top section with the 9 or so jumps of various size is also great.

International, I only rode it a few times, as I just preferred the better flow on abom or abom/copperhead, the road jump is to small as others have mentioned. Out of curiosity, do people find international flows ok? maybe i need to ride it more and a lot faster to get the lines right, but to me Abom is more fun.

All Buller needs now is a pump track and some rhythm jumps to practice progression, somewhere near town centre as it would be very popular with riders and spectators both - one can wish :D

Going back in a weekend or two once the hands heal.

dl79

Likes Dirt
International is a more technical track than Abom and is harder to find the "flow" you are talking about. It just takes more laps to get dialled than the easier ABOM.

Roid Rage

Likes Dirt
Possibly stupid question (in the DH forum) seeking a serious answer or two though.

I will be riding at Mt Buller for 4 days very soon with a few other people who will be bringing their 'All Mountain' bikes.

I have had a look at the Mt Buller website, some of the XC trails sound really attractive, plenty of descending and lots of corners etc.
The vids attached to the DH trails probably didnt do the trails justice, but they just didnt get me stoked to want to bring a DH bike, and I really like DH riding.

I struggle to comprehend why I thought taking an XC bike to a place with chairlifts is a good idea. Having said that if the work by World Trails is anything like what they did at Stromlo I am intrigued.

Question:
If I could only take an XC or DH bike to Mt Buller for 4 days of riding which should I take and why?

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
International, I only rode it a few times, as I just preferred the better flow on abom or abom/copperhead, the road jump is to small as others have mentioned. Out of curiosity, do people find international flows ok? maybe i need to ride it more and a lot faster to get the lines right
It does take a while to get the track worked out but once you learn to carry your speed through it, you'll love it more and more.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
International is a more technical track than Abom and is harder to find the "flow" you are talking about. It just takes more laps to get dialled than the easier ABOM.
It does take a while to get the track worked out but once you learn to carry your speed through it, you'll love it more and more.
Next time I am up there I'll give international a full day or two of riding and actually stop to watch the lines people take in various sections. I did about 40 complete runs down Abom + 14 abom/copperhead over the last week (and walked the track one pleasant evening)... I now know most of the rocks/roots/features on a first name basis.

Question:
If I could only take an XC or DH bike to Mt Buller for 4 days of riding which should I take and why?
I'd take the DH bike and make the most of the short time frame the chair lift is open for the year. 3 good tracks to ride of progressive difficulty and quite different character, you will not be getting bored.

That being said, I took both my DH and AM bikes and had a great time, the XC trails at Buller are really enjoyable.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Christ .... I can think of nothing worse that doing that today. I have only just raised from the horizontal position - such is my pain.

Hopefully it wears off before Friday - heading to Buller for the day to escape the 39deg here.
I was trying to get DunnDog to escape the heat and head to Buller as well, but he seems to think Torquay is better. I don't know, I think it has some sort of beach thing going on down there or something. :p

Anyway, I didn't exactly have the most exciting New Years last night. A wife and 2 very young kids kept me indoors. After a couple of quiet beers I got to thinking, stuff it, I'm going to Buller and I'm not going to be hungover in the morning.... but I still was, and it was still worth it. :)

Aaahhahahahaaaa!! How'd that turn out mate??
After dragging my ass out of bed and gritting the teeth, it turned out to be a ripper of a day. I felt like Electric Johnny though because I didn't stop until the last lift. Now I'm knackered.

[video=youtube;2qxqAcSBgQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qxqAcSBgQg[/video]

^Best in HD

I have posted a video of International for anyone interested. Not to gaze in amazement at my epic bow hunting skills and bike skills (cough.. I'm a noob still), but so you can see the minor changes to the track. Apparently they have made some. I wouldn't know though as today was my first time there. :)

I really liked all the tracks. I don't know why people are complaining about the double on the fire road at the bottom. It's not that small and no matter what (fast) speed you hit it, I found the landing butter smooth. It is a long gradual slope for the landing and the kicker doesn't have any stupid pop, so you can the jump safely at speed.

There, some balance to the argument.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Geez mate super effort! The beach has been lovely haha.. Just what the corkie from hell needed too. Back in action now!

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Geez mate super effort! The beach has been lovely haha.. Just what the corkie from hell needed too. Back in action now!
Maybe I need the beach too, but to cure my F'n Arm Pump, F'n Arrrrrmmmm Puuuuummmmmp!

Glad to hear you're back in action. When are you going to Buller? I will try to get there as well.

BOOFDTL

Squid
Mate just getting in to the sport from coming off dirt bikes your vid has pumped me up more cant wait to start getting some skills down hope to get new bike soon so i can get and start learning...
Thanks again Boof

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[video=youtube;2qxqAcSBgQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qxqAcSBgQg[/video]

^Best in HD

I have posted a video of International for anyone interested. Not to gaze in amazement at my epic bow hunting skills and bike skills (cough.. I'm a noob still), but so you can see the minor changes to the track. Apparently they have made some. I wouldn't know though as today was my first time there. :)

I really liked all the tracks. I don't know why people are complaining about the double on the fire road at the bottom. It's not that small and no matter what (fast) speed you hit it, I found the landing butter smooth. It is a long gradual slope for the landing and the kicker doesn't have any stupid pop, so you can the jump safely at speed.

There, some balance to the argument.
Love the stacks at the end - I've come a cropper on that bridge too - scary! looks like the changes are pretty insignificant...

Shredden

Knows his goats
I was up there a few days ago, great fun.

International is so prime, I love it. The second jump on the fire road at the bottom is probably about 30ft short but the landing isnt at all harsh, its good fun pedaling hard from the wallride and sending those two jumps as far as possible. Anyone know if we will be racing wallride or corners for VDHS and nats?

Still hate Copperhead. Still like ABOM.

All up a good 2 days and I look forward to another weekend up there some time before the races.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Was speaking to a couple lads doing maintenance and they said the decision on which route hasn't been decided yet, however will most probably be wall ride side.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I was there for 5 days ...

Had a little sit down on the jumps at the top of ABOM.

I had a great time and can't wait to get back....