Mt Buller - All you need to know

benannear

Likes Bikes
Official Season Opening Event December 1st: Summit 2 Summit Stud Poker Ride

Poker Ride 2012.jpg

It's officaly game on this weekend, with a new event scheduled for Saturday, followed by a free BBQ in the Village square for all, and a free screening in the Mt Buller cinema of Where the trail Ends on Saturday night.

benannear

Likes Bikes
Will the chair lift or shuttles be running for the DH this weekend?
At this stage the only shuttle service for the weekend will be the Mirimbah Store shuttle. Chairlift opens Boxing day 26th December. You are welcome to run your own shuttles from Lwr Tyrol car park this weekend. And just a heads up that Abom is the only clear DH trail trail ATM, along with Copperhead. International, Outlaw and Yellow Post are closed until further notice.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know if International will be open after Boxing Day?
Yes. It's basically rideable now, with only one fallen tree across the track just before Dam run (just above the switchbacks).

I was up there working on the trails over the weekend and they're in immaculate condition at the moment. They're probably the best they've ever been. There's lots of jumps across the top of ABOM, new berms and repaired/realigned sections throughout the track.
There's also some new jumps on the fire road section of International with a nice big kicker (5m-ish gap) towards the bottom.
Outlaw Express has also been opened up with lots of trees cut out to make it possible to ride. It's also been widened in lots of sections to allow it to flow better and maintain speed through some of the flatter sections of the track.

I'll definitely be up there on boxing day!

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's also some new jumps on the fire road section of International with a nice big kicker (5m-ish gap) towards the
It's always good to hear the DH trails progressing, very positive. My only question would be I hope the speed was taken into consideration when building jumps on the fire track, the existing jump was to short and small making it act like a speed bump, it didn't match up at 60kph. If its fast, the jump needs to be big.

Washa!

Likes Bikes
Looking good.

I have been meaning to head up to mt bulla for a while i just moved to castlemaine (about 1 1/2 hrs out of melbourne) I have been to bulla before for some snow sports.. Whats the best way around there? is it crowded in the summer (it was full up last winter) is it easy driving up and parking ? Thanks for the good article ! :D

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's always good to hear the DH trails progressing, very positive. My only question would be I hope the speed was taken into consideration when building jumps on the fire track, the existing jump was to short and small making it act like a speed bump, it didn't match up at 60kph. If its fast, the jump needs to be big.
Yeah I should have got some photos but I was on a tight schedule trying to get as many runs in as I could before heading home. The jump is big enough that you have to think twice before hitting it, but I do think once you're comfortable it'll be pretty easy to overshoot the landing.

I have been meaning to head up to mt bulla for a while i just moved to castlemaine (about 1 1/2 hrs out of melbourne) I have been to bulla before for some snow sports.. Whats the best way around there? is it crowded in the summer (it was full up last winter) is it easy driving up and parking ? Thanks for the good article ! :D
Summer's always quieter than winter. Parking is easy and you can park in the village to head out for some XC or park outside the Arlberg hotel and ride across to the lifts (if you're DHing).

dmc

Likes Bikes
There is no gate entry fee and once in the resort you can use nearly any existing car park.
That includes being able to park right at the unload of the chair if your downhilling. It is not even close to being as busy in summer as you would have experienced in winter(unfortunately)

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
As long as it is not a race weekend, it is a pleasantly quiet. Lift queues are short, but still plenty of people riding.

Not a lot open either shop wise, not a bad idea to hit the supermarket on the way up for the essentials.

Mt Buller

Likes Dirt
Some images of recent work on International (DH) and Copperhead (Flow Down) trails

Just 6 more sleeps or there abouts until our lifted bike season begins so we thought we should tease you with a few snaps of some recent trail works. With two dedicated crews on the hill, Buller Ski Lifts looking after all DH trails and World Trail on Copperhead, an amazing amount of work has been completed in the past few weeks.
photo (3).jpgphoto.jpg

The above two shots showing a booter low down on the fire road of International, and a hip/wall ride construction below the old ski jump.

Berm panorama.JPGberm resurfacing and shaping.JPGRyan and Cam installing culvert drainage.JPG

Three shots above show the massive improvements to Copperhead. The trail crews have been installing some 20 or more drainage culverts allowing for steeper berms and a new surface to be laid out. Early feedback from those lucky enough to have already hit it up are very positive.

So just a reminder chairlift starts spinning 10am Boxing Day, December 26th. Just be here!

Last edited:
man i'm pissed i've missed this chance!!
i was talking to orco and he was setting up a weekend ride on the 5-6 of jan.
i'm not sure if i can make it but man i hope i can seeing some of these pics.

anyone else aware of this trip?

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I was up there. ABOM is running great. Still bone rattling but there are a few changes which make it flow a bit better. I got the inside word that they're looking at doing something to showoff corner so you actually have some form of momentum exiting the corner.
International hasn't had much done to it other than the jumps on the fire road (they're both about 5m too small) and a couple small improvements on dam run (zigzags after the old ski jump) as well as the berms pictured above.

I had a great time up there and definitely plan on getting back before the lifts close.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new double on international is wayyyyyyy too small for how fast you come into it, braking into the take off and you can still sail well past the landing.