Mt Coramba trail maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have another suggestion, tell me what you think.
After the top pallet drop you go over the two logs, turn left over the roots, crank it in the fats bit and hit the right hand small berm. Just after that is a section called pinky which leads into the right then left hand tyrns and over the rocks. In the steep pinky section I'm suggesting we look at filling it with rocks and making it a bit trickier. Any ideas? Either that or make the line to the right of it more rocky and more technical..........

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I had another idea..........
Some of us have discussed making a new line to cut out the little uphill section after the pallet drops near the end of the course. An alternate line would be straight and come out just behind where the shuttle cars turn around on race weekends.........boring! This would also mean cutting bulk trees down and we ain't doing that.
My suggestion is this:
-Remove the pallets and all of the logs that the pallets, sit on.
-Clean the section up so it is just dirt (obviously there will be a smooth downward slope instead of the pallets.
-Built the berm higher and longer that leads you out of the pallets into the uphill.
-Build a berm on the left hand side of the section where the pallets are and use that to hold a higher speed into the berm at the base of the corner.
See the attached pic.
I reckon we could build it so the new berm would start high and feed you into a really nice flow that could be done without brakes. Your speed into the next turn would be much higher therefore the uphill would be a breeze.
The berm would slope downward and be built solid.
Let's face it, the timber on the pallets isn't going to last much longer and this section is kind of trivial and straight forward - you go off the highline or you go low............yawn. More flow is where it's at! It will keep in character with the rest of the section preceeding it too.;)
I'm refreshing this idea as I may start building this early on Friday. The pallets are beginning to decay so we'll need to do something anyway.
Any objections to removing the timber work and having it all dirt? I will make the berm after it more appropriate and we'll have a quicker speed through the whole thing.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm refreshing this idea as I may start building this early on Friday. The pallets are beginning to decay so we'll need to do something anyway.
Any objections to removing the timber work and having it all dirt? I will make the berm after it more appropriate and we'll have a quicker speed through the whole thing.
no objections here, lets do it on Fri.....;);)

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I object your honor

No I just wanted to say that. Sounds tops. we do it on friday. Hire a digger.....

maybe put a little kicker before the downwards slope so that the downwards slope is the transition?

Quintin

Eats Squid
I had another idea..........
Some of us have discussed making a new line to cut out the little uphill section after the pallet drops near the end of the course. An alternate line would be straight and come out just behind where the shuttle cars turn around on race weekends.........boring! This would also mean cutting bulk trees down and we ain't doing that.
My suggestion is this:
-Remove the pallets and all of the logs that the pallets, sit on.
-Clean the section up so it is just dirt (obviously there will be a smooth downward slope instead of the pallets.
-Built the berm higher and longer that leads you out of the pallets into the uphill.
-Build a berm on the left hand side of the section where the pallets are and use that to hold a higher speed into the berm at the base of the corner.
See the attached pic.
I reckon we could build it so the new berm would start high and feed you into a really nice flow that could be done without brakes. Your speed into the next turn would be much higher therefore the uphill would be a breeze.
The berm would slope downward and be built solid.
Let's face it, the timber on the pallets isn't going to last much longer and this section is kind of trivial and straight forward - you go off the highline or you go low............yawn. More flow is where it's at! It will keep in character with the rest of the section preceeding it too.;)

im thinking that this is a good idea, but you may consider addressing the steepness of that uphill section. you loose so much speed its incredible. also where the pallets currently are, how about a nice steep hump to pump so you can get a mega speed increase.

also while your down in that area, how about looking at the last drop berm that seems to send you into the black stump or the little tree. maybe lift the berm up and give it a bit more support so you can smash it like the otherr 2

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Locked in for Friday. We will need a chainsaw to remove a big solid bugger but I'll have other tools to do the excavation work (that means a mattic and a shovel ;)). Bring your pocket knives and we'll cut through the log.
Many hands make light work, cheers boys!:D

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
im thinking that this is a good idea, but you may consider addressing the steepness of that uphill section. you loose so much speed its incredible. also where the pallets currently are, how about a nice steep hump to pump so you can get a mega speed increase.

also while your down in that area, how about looking at the last drop berm that seems to send you into the black stump or the little tree. maybe lift the berm up and give it a bit more support so you can smash it like the otherr 2
Once we move the pallets we'll have a good idea of what we can do there. I'm liking the idea of a hump myself, we'll see how it looks.
The berms that you mentioned will need some more fill soon. The last one is really all over the shop now which is good and bad. I'll check it out.;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Another point of interest is the top rock garden. The bulk of thi section is in good shape but the entry into the first drop is suffering. The small ledge before it has become a drop in itself and the rocks on the edge of the actual drop are beginning to come away. The only way to fix it is to cement everything in place and that will take plenty of man hours a nd a few dollars from the locals to pitch in for the repairs.
I'm propsoing a working bee in the very near future on this section (at least four people). We'll need a few buckets, some shovels etc. Hopefully Troy can bring his box trailer and carry some of the material again and we can fix it.
Troy, how much cash did you and I spend last time? we could work out a figure and confirm some costs shortly and get it underway if we can.
Another suggestion is opening up the left hand side of the first drop by about 300mm. This would make the drop roll off more solid rock and spread the wear fairly evenly. Any suggestions?

siz

Eats Squid
Murder in the dark

Locked in for Friday. We will need a chainsaw to remove a big solid bugger but I'll have other tools to do the excavation work (that means a mattic and a shovel ;)). Bring your pocket knives and we'll cut through the log.
Many hands make light work, cheers boys!:D
Cool, i cant lay my mitts on a chanisaw, so i'll have a look for and sharpen my axe, plus i'll chuck in a rake and mattock or shovel.....and some kero for those goddam jumping jacks!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Cool, i cant lay my mitts on a chanisaw, so i'll have a look for and sharpen my axe, plus i'll chuck in a rake and mattock or shovel.....and some kero for those goddam jumping jacks!
Good lad, very much appeciated. Don't forget the six pack also..........:D

shortyf

Likes Bikes
what time are you gonna start up there on friday? I have the day off so i was thinking of coming up a bit earlier and helping out.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
what time are you gonna start up there on friday? I have the day off so i was thinking of coming up a bit earlier and helping out.
I'll be there about 9am mate. I'm borrowing Troy's chainsaw so I'll head out to grab that then I'll meet you at the shuttle turning point. Bring a shovel champ and we'll shape some new goodness.;)
I reckon this section will be quite good after the alterations. The speed will increase and there will be more need to build the berm that follows the line to hold that speed for the short uphill. We'll give that entire section an overhaul and a tidy up.

bigkevthumper

Likes Dirt
Another point of interest is the top rock garden. The bulk of thi section is in good shape but the entry into the first drop is suffering. The small ledge before it has become a drop in itself and the rocks on the edge of the actual drop are beginning to come away. The only way to fix it is to cement everything in place and that will take plenty of man hours a nd a few dollars from the locals to pitch in for the repairs.
I'm propsoing a working bee in the very near future on this section (at least four people). We'll need a few buckets, some shovels etc. Hopefully Troy can bring his box trailer and carry some of the material again and we can fix it.
Troy, how much cash did you and I spend last time? we could work out a figure and confirm some costs shortly and get it underway if we can.
Another suggestion is opening up the left hand side of the first drop by about 300mm. This would make the drop roll off more solid rock and spread the wear fairly evenly. Any suggestions?
Hey dozer this is another prity good idea but would we be able to cut another line though the top section? Like say if your facing towards the sea you could make another line on the left hand side?
Top section good but you get a bit over just ridding the same things

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It isn't necesarily a new line, it is just trimming the bushes back about two feet to use the covered edge of the existing rock.
THe concrete that Troy and I put in place is holding up very well but the areas that aren't concreted are a bit unstable and need some repairs.
There is other lines that could be made as an entry point which I think would suit the line into the first drop better. I've always wanted to build a flatter line to the left of the first opening and turn in just before the first drop. It wouldn't have the savage roll in that is getting chewed away and people wouldn't stuff it by dragging their brakes as much because it is a flatter entry.
Don't anyone suggest we make another line altogether.........cutting through that lantana the first time was bloody hard yakka!:eek:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Franky, don't forget to pack your lunch and a couple of tools for tomorrow, It'll be a long day.;)
This new alteration will be good! I can picture it now. A lot faster with more flow......:D

shortyf

Likes Bikes
Yeah it should be good section. If we have time, can we try and fix up the last olg drop into berm just before that? I have an idea for there...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yeah it should be good section. If we have time, can we try and fix up the last olg drop into berm just before that? I have an idea for there...
Sounds good to me. With any luck we should be finished the pallet drop section by lunchtime and we can move up the hill a bit. Does your idea involve shifting much dirt?

binner

Hath shat hymself
bright sparks

Sounds good to me. With any luck we should be finished the pallet drop section by lunchtime and we can move up the hill a bit. Does your idea involve shifting much dirt?
I got some ideas too.....can I share?

ok ,thanks

I think you guys should bust yr guts on Fri morn then when we rock up bout 1ish, we crack a few tinnies and walk the areas you guys have been working on all morning just to pick out the problems and what needs to be addressed for the future......;):D

how does that sit with you guys???

zap

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
As long as you spot me a tin or two I'm all for it.;)

I do have to make one request for tomorrow afternoon. As you know we have to remove the Soul Jacker structure. We should've done it yonks ago but meh, we'll do it tomorrow afternoon eh? Should take ten minutes I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.