NSW Mt Keira - general track maintanence and changes discussion.

koe/extreme dh

Likes Dirt
This has happened before and it will be happened again. From now on we must ride at the risk of getting fined or dont ride there at all. I for one could not give a rats ass about a few rangers and will continue riding and if need be ride straight past them if they flag me down. They won't be able to catch you down the track unless they have steve peat as their patroller seriously.

Koe

tim2

Likes Bikes
we got stopped by NPWS staff today, the guy who seemed to be the authority demanded we remove our helmets and give names and addreses, like that was gunna happen, i recomend any riders in the same position as us do the same thing, dont give details to anyone but police (definately never give info to the disgusting leaches from national parks). tell them you apreciate the warning and leave the area, dont swear dont threaten anyone dont be abusive just leave for the day. these people cant detain you or lay a hand on you unless they are defending themselves so dont give them the opportunity, walk youre bike around them and leave quietly.
my 2 cents.
PS NPWS are the most useless organisation to steal tax dollars.

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
we got stopped by NPWS staff today, the guy who seemed to be the authority demanded we remove our helmets and give names and addreses, like that was gunna happen, i recomend any riders in the same position as us do the same thing, dont give details to anyone but police (definately never give info to the disgusting leaches from national parks). tell them you apreciate the warning and leave the area, dont swear dont threaten anyone dont be abusive just leave for the day. these people cant detain you or lay a hand on you unless they are defending themselves so dont give them the opportunity, walk youre bike around them and leave quietly.
my 2 cents.
PS NPWS are the most useless organisation to steal tax dollars.
Agreed. Hopefully these guys where up there only this weekend, and not next.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
i was up there today and there were 3 or 4 national park rangers at the rock jump after the step down. wen i got there, there was a few crowd already but they where saying no riding fines and shit.
And very stubborn about not even looking at options about coming to a compromise.
spoke to some head honcho and he was a massive jerk.

i cant see then actually making a difference tho, so many people ride that track all the time that it will take so long before they can completely stop ppl riding.

its annoying to see them but im not really worried because if they did shut it down tracks will spring up again before they can blink.

kezza.
Hold up, that isn't even public land!? It's owned by BHP as Dobbo said (sorry mate, thought Bluescope was the same thing).
So this is obviously not an authorised crew, something smells fishy here...

nskz

Likes Dirt
Hold up, that isn't even public land!? It's owned by BHP as Dobbo said (sorry mate, thought Bluescope was the same thing).
So this is obviously not an authorised crew, something smells fishy here...
Man sounds like the shit has hit the fan up there. This happened at Bulli in about 2001-ish (can't remember exactly). The riding there was massive at the time and Nat Parks went on a blitz which effectively shut the place down for years...mainly because the big crews stopped riding there, i'm sure it was still 'ride-able'.

Nat Parks must be getting a directive from someone to do this, it's not the sort of thing a few rangers would just decide to do. Maybe there have been a lot of complaints from local residents and a decision has been made to act. It does seem a little odd though as Nat Parks do not usually confront people on such a blanket level, the taking of names etc on multiple days...i've never seen it before.

As has been said above don't provoke/be abusive etc as that won't solve any issues, but also don't think you have to give them your details, they have no power of authority in that situation. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, not looking good.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Ok, if anyone see these so called "rangers", please ask them on everyones behalf:

• who they actualy are, if the say the are NPWS (National Parks rangers), ask for proof (badge, ID, etc.)
  • Ask whether they have have been asigned the task, and by who (specific name and contact number)
  • Ask what their objective is, and whether they are willing to come to an agreement with us, the riders
  • what the consequences are for riding the track
  • long term plans for the trail network
  • AND, if they are premitted and legit, where they are permitted to patrol
If someone gets all these answers out of them, we can start to work out a plan/stratergy for short, medium and long term goals for the track up at Mt Keira. I have been riding there for a couple of years now, and I would hate to see the tracks we have all rode, mantained, built and enjoyed be destroyed and shut down.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a thread someone in RB about NPWS rangers, couldn't find it but this has been discussed many times.

Anyway, my recollection from reading some of the legislation (for other reasons) is that NPWS ranger do have rights of stop, detain and ask for information much in the same way that the Police do if you are on NPWS land, of which part of Holy and Uni trails are. Note that NPWS are the land managers for state rec.

The National Parks have significant legislation behind them and some pretty heavy powers.

....of course this doesn't help that it all sucks.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK, I'm moving up to the Gong in December, permanently....*snip*

Is anyone in the Gong really (and I mean seriously) pushing hard and professionally to THE RIGHT PEOPLE to gain access and building permission to create something sustainable on Keira?...*snip*
Its not DH yet, but slopestyle and freeride are on the cards at GreenValleys FreeRide Park early next year pending council approval....which has been ongoing for the last 2 years. This is the real deal but it all rests on getting approval.

I know its facebook, and not everybody likes FB, but in this case it is the best source of info for this park. http://www.facebook.com/greenvalleysfreeridepark?ref=profile

Also some info in this thread....http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?174587-GreenValleys-Freeride-Park-the-approval-process.

Last edited:
The approval for greenvalleys IS for a legal DH competition track...

the Slopestyle, Freeride and Dirt Jump areas will be to support the park when DH competitions are not being held...

I personally enjoyed kiera, though it was hacked up over the years by "young dudes" blazin new trails, and not really preserving the environment..

Rubbish, fires, painting of trees, soil erosion, rubbish in the creek etc.. all issues which need to addressed from time to time if there is no solid land management practices in place... hence the activity from npws

Doesn't the Wollongong MTB club have a bloke who looks after the DH side of things ???

Get him on the case....

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
The approval for greenvalleys IS for a legal DH competition track...

the Slopestyle, Freeride and Dirt Jump areas will be to support the park when DH competitions are not being held...

I personally enjoyed kiera, though it was hacked up over the years by "young dudes" blazin new trails, and not really preserving the environment..

Rubbish, fires, painting of trees, soil erosion, rubbish in the creek etc.. all issues which need to addressed from time to time if there is no solid land management practices in place... hence the activity from npws

Doesn't the Wollongong MTB club have a bloke who looks after the DH side of things ???

Get him on the case....
WMTB aren't in to DH at all, it's all the lycra bandits up at Appin really, that's why I stick with CORC (Canberra Off-Road Cycles) so I can race a bit of DH.

Seriously, why do you need approval to build a complex on private property?
Excuse my youth-fueled ignorance, but I really can't see why the local council would care.

If you want mate, I will get started building a DH track out at Green Valleys for you ASAP. Give me tools, some wood and stakes, and I would be more than glad to get a bunch of people together to do some serious work.

Last edited:

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can build whatever you want on private prperty (within reason and local planning laws) for your own private use. The problem is you don't own the land and you want it to be a public facility. As soon as you want this it changes it all together.

Public use requires council approval, a wide variety of studies and plans including flora, fauna, water, heritage, public facilities, traffic, parking, amenities........get the picture.

Then it has to go to public exhibition and comment, fit into local and state planning laws, etc, etc. Unfortunately this is why it has taken GV so long, not from lack of action.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
You can build whatever you want on private prperty (within reason and local planning laws) for your own private use. The problem is you don't own the land and you want it to be a public facility. As soon as you want this it changes it all together.

Public use requires council approval, a wide variety of studies and plans including flora, fauna, water, heritage, public facilities, traffic, parking, amenities........get the picture.

Then it has to go to public exhibition and comment, fit into local and state planning laws, etc, etc. Unfortunately this is why it has taken GV so long, not from lack of action.
Ah thought it might have to do with public access. Sounds as iof Shellharbour council are being a bit slack, it's been months, almost years since I first heard about the park requesting approval. It will be a great facility once completed.

Unfortunately by the time it's done I probably won't have time for riding anymore! Damn HSC/Uni!

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Ok i was the first person they stoped on the trail on sunday. All were in national parks uniforms and had their notebooks at the ready but took no names. I told them that if these trails get shut down, the masses that ride around the area will move on to a new place as simple as that. The past bans in the area have proven this.
I suggested setting up a meeting or something with the riders, council and national parks to try and get a legal place for us to ride.
They were actually kinda nice and said they are on the trails because they have a new manager and apparently by reports from others he is a TOOL to put it nicely. He doesnt want to hear from us, what we are doing is illegal and he doesnt give a stuff.
I went to another trail and apparently the boss turned up to confirm his status as a tool, moving riders on from the hairpin.
At the other trail, the lady ranger drove straight past us and waved so i think the fines are coming from above.
I dont know but maybe we can band together and get all the riders that ride the gong trails and protest. I dont think writing a letter will do anything. We could all start doing runs down ouzley or something.
I have seen the fall of bulli and kembla and im sorry but i think we will see keira go by the wayside very soon and alot of people fined for doing what we all love.

sslam60

limited brainpower
Ok i was the first person they stoped on the trail on sunday. All were in national parks uniforms and had their notebooks at the ready but took no names. I told them that if these trails get shut down, the masses that ride around the area will move on to a new place as simple as that. The past bans in the area have proven this.
I suggested setting up a meeting or something with the riders, council and national parks to try and get a legal place for us to ride.
They were actually kinda nice and said they are on the trails because they have a new manager and apparently by reports from others he is a TOOL to put it nicely. He doesnt want to hear from us, what we are doing is illegal and he doesnt give a stuff.
I went to another trail and apparently the boss turned up to confirm his status as a tool, moving riders on from the hairpin.
At the other trail, the lady ranger drove straight past us and waved so i think the fines are coming from above.
I dont know but maybe we can band together and get all the riders that ride the gong trails and protest. I dont think writing a letter will do anything. We could all start doing runs down ouzley or something.
I have seen the fall of bulli and kembla and im sorry but i think we will see keira go by the wayside very soon and alot of people fined for doing what we all love.
I have always wanted to ride down there!

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Seriously, how are they going to catch you if you just ride off when they try and fine you.
Who cares about what kind of a reputation it gives you, no-one wants a fine, and I'd understand if you just rode off.
NPWS are tossers. Most of them jsut mistake up for being just as bad to the environment of motos, and that gives me the shits, because it assosciated us with rev heads who polute the environment and put foot-deep holes in the ground.

I really think we need to reach an agreement with these guys, because I don't think it will make the situation better for anyone if they just "shut the tracks down".

keira

It shits me all this talk on the news about obesity and young people should be getting out and being more active not sitting at home playing playstation and alike, but then councils and national parks go and start shutting down the very thing that is keeping these young people active .

dh1

Likes Dirt
Seriously, how are they going to catch you if you just ride off when they try and fine you.
Who cares about what kind of a reputation it gives you, no-one wants a fine, and I'd understand if you just rode off.
NPWS are tossers. Most of them jsut mistake up for being just as bad to the environment of motos, and that gives me the shits, because it assosciated us with rev heads who polute the environment and put foot-deep holes in the ground.

I really think we need to reach an agreement with these guys, because I don't think it will make the situation better for anyone if they just "shut the tracks down".
thats is fine if your couldn't give a shit aout them but eventually you will get done. I already posted here that on saturday arvo my mate got chased down the fire trail and then down the uni track by moto cops. they were sitting on the fire trail waiting. lucky for him he held enough speed down the chute to fly up the little up hill on the fire trail and beat them to the start of the track.

so yeah what we are doing is illegal and if they try and stop us and fail then they will only try harder. tht could be cops.

we have to be really carefully about how we go out things, and appearing like dicks isn't going to help.

sslam60

limited brainpower
I also think all teenagers are generalized as kids on bikes. they see us as the same people that sit at the bowl all day while smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol and then going around the streets tag peoples shops. they are seeing BMX riders and MTBer's as the same group. of course not all BMX riders are like that.

what about a protest at the track? if we can get all the riders in the Illawarra to come up to the track and ride . it would kinda be like a show of force that we are serious and were not gonna move.