Mt Keira Top in the Wet?

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Its been raining. Just when I thought the sun would dry things out. Its raining again tonight. bummed!

My Brother has advised me the top of Mt Keira XC trail is really sippery and dangerous in the wet just after rain. (not the downhill uni track or the holy trail)

And its best not to ride there until it dries out. I tend to agree with him!

Have never ridden th trail at all. Seen a few you tube/vimeo clips. And have heared it is super fast and uber steep. I ride XC and to make it worse a hard tail.:eek:

Have been invited to go ride there this weekend (not by my bro) with some dudes who are planning to go rain hail or shine!. Dont want to do the "Marty Mcfly" thing and pike out, so no one can call me chicken but would rather be safe than sorry!:confused:

Just want to know local peoples thoughts on riding this trail during or just after in the rain? Or Is somewhere like appin more suitable to ride rain hail or shine?

Anyones thoughts anyone, anyone bueller, bueller, bueller

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Your brother is right. Riding Kiera in wet is bad for bike, bad for trail.

Appin is 15 mins away and drains like like a sieve, so even if coastal showers make it there unless its raining at the time of your ride you can get away with it...

(by the way kiera isn't THAT steep...)

carbs

Likes Bikes
Riding in the wet destroys these tracks, wait 2-3 days after the rain.
Years of hard work has gone into making and maintaning these tracks.

Last edited:

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,:)

I am actually supposed to be going tommorw (THUR) with the dudes and then on SUN with my brother.

So If the rain stays away SUN should be OK. But tommorow is only one day of drying out it rained with the recent big winds but it only stopped a day ago.

Even If I chicken out to save the trail, the others will more than likely go. even if i tell them not too! So the trail willl be ridden but hopfully not too much damage will be done.:(

Ill suggest Appin and see what they say!

simon80

Likes Bikes
Your brother is right. Riding Kiera in wet is bad for bike, bad for trail.

Appin is 15 mins away and drains like like a sieve, so even if coastal showers make it there unless its raining at the time of your ride you can get away with it...

(by the way kiera isn't THAT steep...)
FWOR!! Keira to Appin in 15 mins!! What do you drive????