Mt Zoon Carbon Bars Snapped - Replacements?

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Hi all.

Playing with the kids at home today, pulled up on the bars to accelerate towards a jump and the bar snapped on the inside of the brake mount.

Came pretty undone, face plant, only bruised, but thankfully didn't happen on the jump or at landing speed!

Bars are Mt Zoom Ultralight, carbon, 31.8mm, 710mm, 15mm rise 5deg rake.

Not expecting any warranty (bike purchased used), but after some recommendations for a replacement.

I'm 95kg, I feel fairly heavy on the bars/bike. Need to stick with 31.8mm but wouldn't mind a bit more bar width.

The key thing, now I've come undone, would rather some degree of bar strength over weight.

Suggestions for what and from where AAP?

moorey

call me Mia
Carbon bars. Not even once.
I’ve mainly run RF atlas and Renthals for years. Recently put on some Spank Spikes, and really like them. Not even the fancy vibracore. Nice feeling sweep.

Shredden

Knows his goats
From a quick look on their website MT ZOOM looks like rebranded chinese/aliexpress crap. I definitely wouldn't trust anything carbon from them.

Any alloy bar from a reputable manufacturer will be more than strong enough for anything a normal person would put it though, and probably weigh only 10's of grams more. Renthal and Thomson are personal favourites (pricey though), but anything from Raceface, Nukeproof, Spank, Truvativ, Funn etc will be suitable too.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hate to be the devils advocate, but the following don't go together well: Heavy on the bars/bike, Questionable brand, Carbon, Ultralight, jump.

As above, any of the above reputable brands are going to be fine. I'll also add that i've been thrashing Nukeproof Horizon carbon bars for the last 2 years (both V1 & V2) and they've been faultless. Had some heavy flat landings on them too.

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.
Had no idea they were a cheapie bar.
No pref carbon or alloy and not too worried re cost. Just don’t want a bar to break again!
Running a Renthal stem so might just go the same in alloy.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks guys.
Had no idea they were a cheapie bar.
No pref carbon or alloy and not too worried re cost. Just don’t want a bar to break again!
Running a Renthal stem so might just go the same in alloy.
Although it's a little more expensive, the Spank Vibrocore bars are excellent. They are alloy so are unlikely to have a sudden failure like carbon bars, but have much better vibration damping then alloy bars.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Any half decent alloy bar will see you right, in all honesty.
In 25 years of riding, I’ve never snapped one...bent a couple in really bad crashes, but never badly enough to stop me finishing a ride or race run.
I’ve got numerous mates who moved to Mid-high level carbon (Renthal and Enve for starters) and snap them before returning to alloy bars.
These are anecdotes, not evidence, but you will never ever see me on carbon bars (or cranks FWIW).

AaronJ

Likes Dirt
Thanks again guys. Going to order something alloy today.
Quick Q... never liked the 710mm bar width. Thinking to go 760-780mm. If I change nothing else (ie stem) and to keep overall riding position, Going the 50-70mm wider bar should I go a slightly higher rise?

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks again guys. Going to order something alloy today.
Quick Q... never liked the 710mm bar width. Thinking to go 760-780mm. If I change nothing else (ie stem) and to keep overall riding position, Going the 50-70mm wider bar should I go a slightly higher rise?
That’s a big jump if you’ve always ridden 710. Maybe go 750?
Wider will change your riding position. I’ve been 750mm on everything except DH bike for many years. Only just fitted 800 to enduro/trail bike with intention of trimming slightly, but actually like it. It’s brought my weight forward slightly and I feel a bit more in control. Feels better pedaling and climbing too.

Biggest factor is what bike and riding is it for?

Where you located? I’ll wager a burner is nearby and willing to loan you bars to test out for feel.

moorey

call me Mia
Just for context... @moorey also shuns carbon frames, carbon rims, 29" wheels and quiet suspension designs and his perfect bike is an early noughties 26" filling cabinet

If you're going alloy bars (gross), you'll have plenty of option to cut them down if you don't like wider.
Partly true (carbon DH bike and daughter used to run carbon havens) but with a reason. I also have around 1/2 the fleet 27.5 these days. The oranges are a fetish, not the bikes I pull out for most rides. And yes, I realise you’re just having a dig. ;)
My main point, if you aren’t worried about weight, and don’t want to spend a fortune, carbon is pointless. :p

Oddjob

Just for context... @moorey also shuns carbon frames, carbon rims, 29" wheels and quiet suspension designs and his perfect bike is an early noughties 26" filling cabinet

If you're going alloy bars (gross), you'll have plenty of option to cut them down if you don't like wider.
You forgot to mention the baboon butt and the Sam Hill blow up doll.

Oddjob

I don't take advice from cat ladies who smell like piss either, if that's any consolation.