MTB cops

wombat

Lives in a hole
Matt J said:
It doesn't matter how much training they have they still have know chance of catching most people hahaha
Be careful, one of the Hawkesbury bicycle officers raced for Australia at the last BMX world champs (I believe he's also one of the instructors at Golburn). He may be old and ugly :p , but I guarentee he'll out sprint you, and can jump and handle a bike well enough to keep up; especially if the local bike shop has removed all the crap from that's meant to be on the rack at the back...

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
Me and the lads had a "brush with the law" recently in the form of the MTBPD on a city ride one Sunday. We were all on big rigs and the cops were more interested in our rides and where we ride em than what they actually pulled us up for. They knew shit all but were keen as. They let us go and we saw em later on when we were sessioning a spot at North Sydney, they just waved and rode on by, pretty cool. We didnt try to outrun em but im sure it wouldnt have been to hard! Maybe next time just for kicks! :D

MTB11R

Likes Dirt
The NSW Policehave there own mountain bike club that is affiliated with MTBA called, NSW Police and Emergency Services Mountain Bike Club. I know some of the members race at state and national rounds.

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen a fair few cops on MTBs in the CBD of Melbourne, most of them were on XC race bikes....looked pretty well specced too, I saw a pack of 3 of them with Meridas with full XT hydros and manitou blacks and such. Not too shabby. I wouldn't try and outrun 'em.

wombat

Lives in a hole
MTB11R said:
The NSW Policehave there own mountain bike club that is affiliated with MTBA called, NSW Police and Emergency Services Mountain Bike Club. I know some of the members race at state and national rounds.
And they race dirty (Floody, if you're reading, this means you!).

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
scottmeister said:
I've seen a fair few cops on MTBs in the CBD of Melbourne, most of them were on XC race bikes....looked pretty well specced too, I saw a pack of 3 of them with Meridas with full XT hydros and manitou blacks and such. Not too shabby. I wouldn't try and outrun 'em.
It's usually just what a particular Station's LBS sells them. I know the Nunawading Police Station uses Cycle Science in Mitcham so they're all riding around on Cannondales with Headshox, full XT etc.

I'm pretty sure BikeNOW is the official supplier of bikes to the Victoria Police so alot get around on Kona Caldera's.

Either way, not too shabby.

Cya, John.

wtr

Likes Dirt
:D It will be very interesting to see a copper posting a reply to this thread..:D

"...man, I hucked a gutter today, it was raaaaaad..."

And if your a cop and your reading this... I'm not wtr, I'm...umm...his...umm...other friend that also ride the same bike as him...

Rik

logged out
Why do you guys have the impression that bicycle police are uncoordinated gumbies, and why do you also try and give the impression that you guys are such x-treeeeeeeeeeme madcore riders that you can take on anyone in a race?
Chest thumping is lame, as is undeserved criticism of people that are just doing their job.
It's like car fanatics going on about how they can outdrive a cop in a race, because they see an V8 highway patrol car as a challenge to their immature and insecure selves.
Just because that's their vehicle of choice doesn't always mean they're enthusiasts, but at the same time just because they're police doesn't mean they're totally useless at using their vehicle of choice.

genie

Likes Bikes
norco mad said:
what they going to do it they do get up next to u?
if they push u over,i would be sueing,because thats using un due force & they will end up falling over any way so what would the point be?
im interested
if you try and out run a cop you deserve what you get
you break the law you get caught and then what you do go get a lawyer and have a whinge ...

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
genie said:
if you try and out run a cop you deserve what you get
you break the law you get caught and then what you do go get a lawyer and have a whinge ...
i wasnt saying i would try to out run if the time came,i would probley stop....
but i was just wondering what would happen if someone did run what would happen?

do th right thing guys,stay out of trouble with the cops as much as "possible" kids

Reptileman

Likes Dirt
I work with an ex police mtb cop (now army sargeant) and he told me they get no training except the basic riding skills and how to put chains back on ect. So im pretty sure it would be quite easy to outrun them if you had any sort of street skill, but you better be headsmart when they ring in the patrol cars.

schacksta

Western Sydney MTB Club
Reptileman said:
I work with an ex police mtb cop (now army sargeant) and he told me they get no training except the basic riding skills and how to put chains back on ect. So im pretty sure it would be quite easy to outrun them if you had any sort of street skill, but you better be headsmart when they ring in the patrol cars.
...army sergeants know everything... just ask them. If he's an ex-cop, and now an army sergeant (no-less), then he's got to have been in the army for quite a while - say maybe 8 years... you don't think that things might have changed just a little in 8 years?

Cheers,

Schacksta

Reptileman

Likes Dirt
schacksta said:
...army sergeants know everything... just ask them. If he's an ex-cop, and now an army sergeant (no-less), then he's got to have been in the army for quite a while - say maybe 8 years... you don't think that things might have changed just a little in 8 years?

Cheers,

Schacksta
He was in the army for many years before the police force, he left the army as a sergeant and re-enlisted as a sergeant. So nah, t'was about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
norco mad said:
if they push u over,i would be sueing,because thats using un due force & they will end up falling over any way so what would the point be?
im interested
I'm pretty sure that if you are willfully evading a police officer, pushing you off your bike isn't undue force. It would be quite reasonable to consider you a danger to pedestrians, hence they could coathanger you off the bike with a maglite if it was the only way of stopping you.

It's like saying "If I was running away from a cop, and they crash tackled me, I'd sue..."

After all if you are evading them in a car they can run you off the road.

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
grrrr why wont this allow me to post my full reply?

I see your point, but I didn’t mean it that way, of course if you have done something or they believe that you are a danger to the public (are armed or etc....) they will do what ever they deem the right way of stopping you.
i was just saying if you were riding somewher say Uni andwe all know uni doesnt like people riding around,what are they allowed to do?
its not like we are a real threat to the public,just more of a pain in the butt or some one who may damage property?
maybe I'm just ill informed?

<SPAN style="COLOR: black">

Last edited:

Colonel

Likes Bikes
Matt J said:
It doesn't matter how much training they have they still have know chance of catching most people hahaha
I agree with Wombat, don't mess around in the Penriff area and expect to pin it away from the bike cops. There are quite a few of them do race DH and I have no doubt will catch you in a sprint off. Officer Kyle (not his real name) comes out regularly with me for shuttle runs and he can rip it up.

You've got to give these guys their due respect, I want one of you wannabe Billy Bad Arses to put your money where your mouth is and see how you get on......C'mon physical challange!!
If you don't have photo's (or at least 2 mates that were there) it didn't happen.
Cheers,
Colonel (not wanting to condone acts of civil disobedience).

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
norco mad said:
if they push u over,i would be sueing,because thats using un dueforce& they will end up falling over any way so what would thepoint be?
im interested
Why is it undue force when you are fleeing the scene, or havejustcommitted a crime and they need to detain you. FYI, they aretrained on how to dismount and tackle you in one swift move. A femalecopper out at my Reserve unit is a bike cop, and she's done it numeroustimes, ye old dismount n tackle. Works a treat apparently.

Last edited:

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FuTAnT said:
Why is it undue force when you are fleeing the scene, or havejustcommitted a crime and they need to detain you. FYI, they aretrained on how to dismount and tackle you in one swift move. A femalecopper out at my Reserve unit is a bike cop, and she's done it numeroustimes, ye old dismount n tackle. Works a treat apparently.
\

i guess it is down to how they look at it from their point of view,one cop may tackle and one may see you as less of a threat(and it depends on what you have just done,i was saying that you have just been riding around uni being a pain to the rent a cops,not murder)

but as i said before maybe im miss imformed

*prepares to be shot down*

Arete

Likes Dirt
norco mad said:
\

i guess it is down to how they look at it from their point of view,one cop may tackle and one may see you as less of a threat(and it depends on what you have just done,i was saying that you have just been riding around uni being a pain to the rent a cops,not murder)

but as i said before maybe im miss imformed

*prepares to be shot down*
If you are simply riding where you aren't mean't to be, I doubt the first you'll know a bike cop wants you to move on will involve a crash tackle.

By saying "get's up next to you" in the previous post, I thought you meant in a chase of some description.

If a security guard crash tackled me from my bike, I'd be seeking legal advice quick smart.