Mtb gym routine

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I grabbed a copy of the enduro mtb training MTB strong training plan. I found that a lot of the exercises really helped my mobility and stability and would recommend them to anyone. They were focused a lot on gym and targeted on those who couldn't ride through winter, but I was able to incorporate them into my usual routine.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Three days in and I can hardly move. I had forgotten about the massive gym men who run from equiptment hither and thither smashing reps and grunting for 20 minutes then sit back on then one thing you want to use and flick through instagram looking at babes until its time for you to go.
Have to get back to 5 am sessions i think.
Focusing on just getting myself moving at the moment but will transition into core work and freewieghts.
Definately going to check out some mtb specific workout things from the internet.
Im sitting in the garden at the moment having a sandwhich and convincing myself its my rest day. Going kayaking tomorrow and want to be able to actually lift the paddle.

Minlak

custom titis
Three days in and I can hardly move. I had forgotten about the massive gym men who run from equiptment hither and thither smashing reps and grunting for 20 minutes then sit back on then one thing you want to use and flick through instagram looking at babes until its time for you to go.
Have to get back to 5 am sessions i think.
Focusing on just getting myself moving at the moment but will transition into core work and freewieghts.
Definately going to check out some mtb specific workout things from the internet.
Im sitting in the garden at the moment having a sandwhich and convincing myself its my rest day. Going kayaking tomorrow and want to be able to actually lift the paddle.
With most DOMS - once you get moving again the soreness goes away - the hard part is convincing yourself you don’t hurt enough to not go. :) After you warm up a bit you will be fine. :)

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm thinking of dropping down to two days a week doing free weights.

I'm currently following the 5x5 routine (on and off) and I find I'm really tired when it comes to riding. Not sure if that will sort itself out over time or if three times a week is too much if I ride two or three times a week too?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah its hard to do 3 gym sessions and ride more than 1-2 times in a week.

I've dropped back to 2 sessions a week since Sept so I can get in a couple more rides in the good weather, but once I do my next powerlifting block I'll drop back to 1 ride a week, maybe 2 if its a deload.

climberman

Likes Dirt
I grabbed a copy of the enduro mtb training MTB strong training plan. I found that a lot of the exercises really helped my mobility and stability and would recommend them to anyone. They were focused a lot on gym and targeted on those who couldn't ride through winter, but I was able to incorporate them into my usual routine.
How does it seem, and price?

tobbogonist

a registered member
I'm thinking of dropping down to two days a week doing free weights.

I'm currently following the 5x5 routine (on and off) and I find I'm really tired when it comes to riding. Not sure if that will sort itself out over time or if three times a week is too much if I ride two or three times a week too?
I went too hard when the gyms opened up, expecting the same performance i had precovid. Ive since dropped back to 3 days a week simply to get back into the rythym.
Its as much mental health as it is physical for me so i usually push myself to exhuastion.
3 days is still way better then none and im feeling improvements. Once your body gets used to the excecise it will be easier.
Im no expert but i understand if you are tired and struggling your body is more in survival mode then 'get stronger' mode and it doesnt really benifit.
Diet plays a huge role, i eat a lot of lentils, beans, nuts etc to keep energy up, but i think thats a different thread. Last two weeks ive been having fresh fruit and muesli for lunch and i can notice the difference, specially when compared to my coupla potato cakes and a coke routine.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently following the 5x5 routine (on and off) and I find I'm really tired when it comes to riding
the principle of 5x5 is to lift as much as you can on those 5 sets, and increase it next time, only reducing it if you fail 3 times in a row to hit 5x5. This is great if you can recover enough, which depends on age, other activities etc. Going that close to failure every visit is not a sustainable program in the longer term, especially when you have another sport added in. Once you get past the beginner phase almost every recommendation is for some sort of cycle - start at high reps low weight and move down in reps and higher ion weights. Week off then start again with a bit more weight. you might want to look at something like that.

Im getting on a bit and find going just 2 times a week yields good results as i can recover between sessions, and time to get to the gym just isn't available. 2 days full body split, alternating squats and deadlifts. but still fit some legs in both times to avoid the DOMS that comes if i squat once a week and nothing else for legs.