MTB light which one?

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Not saying Lupine lights aren't awesome, but if you look at the wilma beam pattern shots on mtbr it's clearly too spotty for a handlebar flood for the amount of light it can pass out? Also is around $900 Aussie dollars which is blipping stupid compared to other comparable lights. $550 for a exposure six pack for example. How are they qualifying the extra $300-400 bucks?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Not saying Lupine lights aren't awesome, but if you look at the wilma beam pattern shots on mtbr it's clearly too spotty for a handlebar flood for the amount of light it can pass out? Also is around $900 Aussie dollars which is blipping stupid compared to other comparable lights. $550 for a exposure six pack for example. How are they qualifying the extra $300-400 bucks?
'Cause it doesn't look like you have a can of baked beans on your handlebars? Which when it runs flat you still have to run an external battery on? USE have modelled their lights on a platform with a self contained battery which is fine for shorter durations however for long night riding it doesn't cut it (I have previously used both the six-pac, maxx-d, and diablo)

Now that aside, lupine currently still pack a lot more tech into their lights than their competition including USE such as the Bluetooth 4.0 remote, phone app for custom tuning of output, and their smartcore batteries.

How much you choose to spend on your lights is up to each individual, put if they are used them nightly such as in winter for several hours the cost/ benefit ratio certainly increases if you have to get them past the chief-financial-controller.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I will also add lupine support their older models. I just upgrade my light heads with new boards, optics, and lens (+300 lumen, and a colour change from the standard 6K) for less than $200 per light. I believe Lupine are the only ones that offer this ability with out having to purchase a whole new light.

John U

MTB Precision
I will also add lupine support their older models. I just upgrade my light heads with new boards, optics, and lens (+300 lumen, and a colour change from the standard 6K) for less than $200 per light. I believe Lupine are the only ones that offer this ability with out having to purchase a whole new light.
My Wilma is 5 years and still going strong. My piko is a couple of years old and going strong. Do not see the need to upgrade either head unit at this point. That is pretty good going for the Wilma given how quickly light technology evolves.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
My Wilma is 5 years and still going strong. My piko is a couple of years old and going strong. Do not see the need to upgrade either head unit at this point. That is pretty good going for the Wilma given how quickly light technology evolves.
Talk to Bill about the colour upgrades, especially if you ride somewhere that is sand based. It changes the light colour from that pure white (6k)/ blue to a slight yellow tinge.

Ricker

Likes Dirt
Interesting perspective. I can't say the can of beer on my handlebars would annoy me that much, its got a very useful readout display on its rear, automatically adjusts to speed and terrain to vary brightness. I can also pick up another one in 4 years time for the same price as buying 1 Wilma now. And in 4 years it'll have 3x the lumens and technology as the wilma has now....

I think the lupine remote is perfect, and I reckon next year every light will have such a function. Even the exposure equinox right now has that function and i'm quite interested in it, as it can double up as a bar light for my roadie, where as the piko has a battery pack, which is just annoying.

My main quarm at the moment is how well the exposure's can handle a decent crash. Its a lot of weight strapped to the highly exposed bars of my mtb. I've been known to eat it hard, and wouldn't want to watch $500 bucks disappear in the impact....

Still I do feel that any light can break in a crash, regardless of how much weight is behind it.

For $850 I could grab a equinox and a six pack....

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
bear the bear and John U, thanks for your insights re. Lupine. I'll pick up a Piko R from Virtuascape with the 6.6Ah smartcore battery for the extra runtime. If it's not adequate I'll get a Wilma later in the year. Sorry for the untimely replies, I'm a new member and my posts still have to get reviewed.

Ricker, thanks for the info re. the Exposure lights. I was put off Exposure by the lack of water resistance info and lack of consistency between lights in their range regarding features like remote control.

Exposure all the way!! Quality Products.

I use a Diablo mounted on my helmet and I find the spread is enough, excellent actually from such a small compact in-built battery design. No wires no fuss! Not to mention the strong aluminium body.

I also use a Exposure TraceR on the rear, super bright for such a small thing also well built and water proof! Excellent for the commute in the rain.

Ivan

Eats Squid
anyone have an opinion or other option on the Gloworm CX Trail (1300 Lumens)

BIX6221.jpg

its $233 AUD and that is way up at the upper limit of what I'll spend on a light, but I do like the integrated form factor for commuting and night riding on the MTB.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
I have an USE Exposure Equinox Mk II that I am looking to sell if you are interested. It is a single form factor light with loads of modes and some amazing power output. Bought it as a helmet light but it doesn't fit my helmet very well (TLD A1 has small off centre vents). Anyway, it has a wireless switch, fuel gauge, and an additional cell that you can extend the burn time with, and a box to put it all in.

Haven't considered a price yet but if you are interested I'll photograph it and put it up in the trading area.

mtn_bike_geek

Super Moderator
For shits and giggles, I accepted an offer to review a Kogan 1400 lumen bike light. I'm in the middle of reviewing it, but it's surprisingly good so far.

Yes, I did say Kogan.

mtn_bike_geek

Super Moderator
That's true, they are. However, the price tag on this light is merely $35, and although it looks like the back end of a robber's dog, it's functionality is above the standard I hold for products of that type!

stinky 510

Likes Dirt
I have just got 2 TrailLED XXX and used only one on my helmet for 3 night laps at the mont24, (My wife had the other)

Great spread of light , I did have a cheap ebay 1800lm on my bars as back up as you are supposed to have two lights but didn't feel I needed it on. very happy with the light and the service from full beam Australia.

I now commute on my CX using only 1 XXX on the bars and find it has heaps of light for what I need.