MTB parts interchangeability for beginners?

2DIE

Likes Dirt
I just bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 (large) for $100 which seems like a solid bike apart from the suspension forks feel crappy and the gears feel really clunky.

I roughly know most forks will fit with a 1 1/8 stem but I have no idea about the gear selectors and derailers, the brake levers and gear selectors seem to be made on the same mounting bracket. Would I need to change the selectors and brake levers if I changed the derailers or could I keep the ones on there?

I'm probably just going to buy another bike and swap parts over rather than buy new due to costs but I don't know what I should be looking for.

I have very little knowledge of mountian bikes so any advice will help, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I just bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 (large) for $100 which seems like a solid bike apart from the suspension forks feel crappy and the gears feel really clunky.

I roughly know most forks will fit with a 1 1/8 stem but I have no idea about the gear selectors and derailers, the brake levers and gear selectors seem to be made on the same mounting bracket. Would I need to change the selectors and brake levers if I changed the derailers or could I keep the ones on there?

I'm probably just going to buy another bike and swap parts over rather than buy new due to costs but I don't know what I should be looking for.

Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

Best to get a cheap set of hydraulic brakes such as these or some second hand shimano deore or avid elixir brakes and separate shifter pods for a new derailleur.

You can generally get second hand things on here that will get you going for now and can upgrade later if you enjoy getting out on the bike.

Forks might actually be harder to find than you think as brands started to move away from straight 1 1/8th steerers about 5 years ago or more. The higher level forks are all tapered now and it can be hard to find good quality second hand forks at the size you need. There are still a few option for mid level forks though...

Hope that helps.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'll sell ya some lightly used Shimano brakes for small $$$ that would be perfect for your bike...?

(after you check with the guys on here for compatibility of course)

2DIE

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the info, I don't mind the V brakes on it actually apart from they sprayed the bike down with WD40 to make it look shiny for sale. I've got most of it off with all purpose cleaner but I bough some new pads (online) and will degrease the rims before putting the new ones on.

I've found the chain and rear sprocket is really rusty, perhaps that is causing some of the clunkiness and grinding as well as the cables don't appear pull smoothly.

Is it possibly to clean up a rusty sprocket or is it best to get a new one? I'll probably just get a new chain regardless.

As for the fork it kind of grips and feels notchy and I can hear air in it, I might have a go at stripping it down, cleaning it and greasing it all back up again.

I've ordered some new parts for it, the seat on it feels like I got kicked in the butt after just a few minutes of riding so I bought a Giant Cruiser seat as well as some other stuff to freshen up the bike a bit.

stirk

Burner
What year, take photos or include parts model if you want specific answers on compatibility when swapping parts about or just buying new ones. I'm guessing the fork has a coil spring not air and most likely won't have post mounts for a hydrolic brake, the rear part of the frame might though but you'll need a new rear wheel/hub to fit a disc.

If the cassette is rusty the chain could be flogged and you can't just throw a new chain onto an old cassette without it skipping under load and in general giving poor shifting.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Don't waste any more cash on it. This thing is a total lemon...from what you've said you'll be up for a whole new drive system and that is going to be more beans than you've already spent.

You will be pushing it pretty hard to find forks that will fit, that work reasonably well, and have v-brake mounts. This means you'll need to upgrade the brakes too. Does the frame even take disc brakes?

And we haven't even touched on wheels...at this rate you're already up for enough to either buy a whole new bike with reasonable spec or a really well built second hand bike. One that hasn't been covered in WD-40.

Save your pennies and get something newer that won't give you so many headaches. Set a budget...follow the friendly advice of folks on here...you'll have a sweet ride in a matter of days if you're motivated.

And yes...bike riding is going to be lots of fun,cso don't worry about not liking it and having wasted your cash.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure it's a 2003 Avelance 3.0 going by images I can find online, I can't find a year on the frame.

Here are some pics of the parts and bike in no particular order.

There are no markings on the front derailer I cak see other than the Shimano badge.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
@pink poodle
Thanks for the input, perhaps I'll just try to clean it up and lube every and ride it until I can sell it and put the money towards something else.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I hate to throw bad news at you...the best way to look at it may be in terms of what does the bike weigh? It may hold some value for recycling.

What do you want to do with the bike? Ride it off road and become a mountain bike rider? Cruise to the shops, beach, work, etc? Punch out road kms on a comfortable upright bike? What you want to do with the bike would influence what to do next.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle
Thanks for the input, perhaps I'll just try to clean it up and lube every and ride it until I can sell it and put the money towards something else.

Other than selling it, that is what I'd be doing in this situation. You might struggle to resuscitate that chain though...best bet would be pull it off the bike, clean it up, and soak it for a few days in vinegar, then clean it, then soak it in some lube.

Wire brush the cassette too. It should be pretty hardy compared.to the chain.

Put a new inner and outer cable on the gears and they will be a little better. Maybe new pads on the brakes as well, the rubber decays.

The forks...nothing you can do there.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I reckon you did well for a hundred bucks. Aside from the rusty chain and cassette, it looks like it's in pretty good nick.

Start with a new chain, it'll cost you peanuts, and give the cassette and chainrings a hit with a brass wire brush. Bit of chain lube, tune the gears and it will feel a whole lot better. The shifter cables might need some love too.

Poodle is right that you don't want to overcapitalise, but give it a good ride before buying another bike. You'll easily spend 10x what you just paid for something more contemporary that's half decent - arm yourself with knowledge and ask away here before making that leap.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
I'm out of shape and wanted to use the bike to go to the shops to get used to riding again (it's been about 15 years) and eventually ride for exercise.

Yeah I'd like something upright and comfortable, I'm 6'6 and around 120kg which is about 20-30kg over my ideal weight.

I don't have much money unfortunately, I'm on a pension and spent over my budget of around $200 already on the bike and parts. Although I could possibly save more and sell the bike to put towards something else but I'm about a 4.5h round trip from the city where most bikes on gumtree are sold.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
Other than selling it, that is what I'd be doing in this situation. You might struggle to resuscitate that chain though...best bet would be pull it off the bike, clean it up, and soak it for a few days in vinegar, then clean it, then soak it in some lube.

Wire brush the cassette too. It should be pretty hardy compared.to the chain.

Put a new inner and outer cable on the gears and they will be a little better. Maybe new pads on the brakes as well, the rubber decays.

The forks...nothing you can do there.
Cheers, I'll have a look at new cables. I'll see what I can do with the chain and rear sprocket on the weekend. I think chains should be reasonably if I can't clean it up good enough.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok...this thing will do you for fitness ridong, until your body starts to feel the pain from being a bit small for you. In this order: new chain (hopefully cassette isn't too worn), new inner/outer gear cables, new brake pads, new inner/outer cables for brakes and you should be sweet for getting fit. You don't need to buy all those parts at once.

Fuck Gumtree. You'll be buying more of the same problems. When the time and cash for a new bike comes, find a bunch of options and line them up for a day of testing if you can. Or you'll (in theory) find a bunch of friendly cunts on here that will lend you a hand. I've been lucky enough to have people help me out interstate (autocorrected to intestate! No thanks...) and I'm not even remotely nice. And don't expect to repair and oneself for a positive margin either...that is rare. Oh so rare. Though I know a guy in Pennant Hills that will help you out with that if need be.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
I reckon you did well for a hundred bucks. Aside from the rusty chain and cassette, it looks like it's in pretty good nick.

Start with a new chain, it'll cost you peanuts, and give the cassette and chainrings a hit with a brass wire brush. Bit of chain lube, tune the gears and it will feel a whole lot better. The shifter cables might need some love too.

Poodle is right that you don't want to overcapitalise, but give it a good ride before buying another bike. You'll easily spend 10x what you just paid for something more contemporary that's half decent - arm yourself with knowledge and ask away here before making that leap.
Thanks for the info, I didn't see your post before. I'm still not sure what I'll do but maybe making the best of what I've got for now is the best option.

I did spend about $100 at chain reaction cycles the other night but looking back my money probably could have been spent better. I'll post up what I got for it in a minute.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
Ok...this thing will do you for fitness ridong, until your body starts to feel the pain from being a bit small for you. In this order: new chain (hopefully cassette isn't too worn), new inner/outer gear cables, new brake pads, new inner/outer cables for brakes and you should be sweet for getting fit. You don't need to buy all those parts at once.

Fuck Gumtree. You'll be buying more of the same problems. When the time and cash for a new bike comes, find a bunch of options and line them up for a day of testing if you can. Or you'll (in theory) find a bunch of friendly cunts on here that will lend you a hand. I've been lucky enough to have people help me out interstate (autocorrected to intestate! No thanks...) and I'm not even remotely nice. And don't expect to repair and oneself for a positive margin either...that is rare. Oh so rare. Though I know a guy in Pennant Hills that will help you out with that if need be.
I was thinking earlier about fixing it up on the cheap just to get my money back, not for a profit. But from the advice of you 2 guys I'll just keep it for now.

This is what I ended up buying the other night, from memory it was like $260 saving or perhaps $260 worth of parts at full price that I got for $99.90.

I bought the shorter neck and riser bars thinking I'll be able to ride a little more upright with them, the handle bar end caps won't be very useful but I needed to get the minimum order amount to use the $10 off code and if the ends of the grips wear off I can plug them in until the grips wear out.

And I bought this seat from an Australian bike (not the shop in the images) for about $44 posted.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well you c wo t break the see bars in a hurry! I had a set a few years ago and they survived ride-pocalypse.

Don't put any of that lube on until you've cleaned the chain up.

Tine for a post your ride thread I say.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I started mountain biking about 14 years ago in a GT Avalanche 2.0. Looked similar to that but had disc brakes and maybe slightly better forks.

It took me on many great adventures before some prick stole it in Clifton Hill...

Good luck with it and don't be afraid to ask for help on here. Just try and give as much info as possible about what you are trying to achieve and you will find useful suggestion (and a few useless pieces of bullshit every now and then too)

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Thanks for the info, I didn't see your post before. I'm still not sure what I'll do but maybe making the best of what I've got for now is the best option.

I did spend about $100 at chain reaction cycles the other night but looking back my money probably could have been spent better. I'll post up what I got for it in a minute.

No problem - we're all here to help, even Poodle seems to have been unusually nice over the past few weeks - I think someone has hacked his account. And while we're admitting to missing posts, I also didn't see Poodle's post on the bottom of the previous page, which is pretty much identical to my first post on this page.

2DIE

Likes Dirt
Another question, it's 3 gears on the front and 7 on the back. Do I need a "7-8 speed" chain if I was to buy another one?

Cheers.