MTBA AGM- presidential vote

LeeD

Likes Dirt
Agm

I think the AGM will be cancelled and rescheduled as not all members were notified within the allowable time frame.
So its game on all over again.

So get ready to get your nominations in again Girls & boys.

MBPL

Banned
Messed up MTBA

MTBA WEBSITE
MTBA wishes to advise that the Annual General Meeting set down for this Saturday - 14th January - has been postponed.
The reasons for this are that we discovered that many members received neither an email or postal notification as is required by the MTBA constitution.
A new date is yet to be set by the committee but will be posted here when known. All Nominations received have been voided.
MTBA apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.
LeeD gets it right
Did anyone else here not receive notice of the AGM via email?

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
It is not a question of whether the email or postage is received it is a question of did MTBA send the email or letter.
And how do you propose the average person who does not have access to MTBA's internal systems prove that it was sent in the first place?
Members can only tell us whether they did or did not receive it without the assistance of MTBA.

MBPL

Banned
By the look of the MTBA cancellation they realised that they did not send some notices - seems they did this recently also. Repeated mistakes ya have to wonder who is responsible?

Last edited:

serowe

Likes Dirt
By the look of the MTBA cancellation they realised that they did not send some notices - seems they did this recently also. Repeated mistakes ya have to wonder who is responsible?
Postponement, not cancellation - big difference! Albeit neither are covered in the constitution, but hey! That's for others to fight over :)

Knut

Troll hunter
Those clowns you are referring to are possibly the majority of the members. It would be fair to say that a large portion of our community were on leave on December 28. By the time they returned to work, the closing date was gone. Fairly average planning. I can confirm that I did not receive notification of the nominations for the AGM. By any form. As far as I am aware, all members must be notified. Who could forget the debacle of a couple of years ago over one single member, not receiving notice.

Tim does know enough about constitutions to get him by. The real issue is, a mistake was made. Now there is the opportunity to learn from it and get it right this time around.

Who knows Ross, you might be able to nominate for more positions this time eh?

MBPL

Banned
The point

The point being, sending the notice is the determinate NOT if you received it.
Simple concept I would think - there are a few reason why you might not receive something by email or snail mail. I suggest you contact the sender and find out whether they sent it to you.

akashra

Eats Squid
The point being, sending the notice is the determinate NOT if you received it.
Simple concept I would think - there are a few reason why you might not receive something by email or snail mail. I suggest you contact the sender and find out whether they sent it to you.
No, it's not.

I could send mail to an SMTP server that pipes to /dev/null and claim it was "sent". And I could prove very quickly in court how this claim should be thrown out.

It's well known that people frequently fail to receive mail supposedly sent using the RegisterNow system. Out club has frequent problems with it, and has had to essentially stop using it for anything important because it is unreliable. We have raised this numerous times yet the system remains broken with no sign of improvement.

MBPL

Banned
No idea

Dude, off course a court would rule that as inappropriate as you would have deliberately ruined your own attempt to send.
No idea what a Register Now is?
MTBA have, by the cancellation and statement admitted to a stuff up some way some where - so what is the issue now?

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Sabotaged or not, the point is ever since MTBA have been using the RegNow system, we've seen a pattern of people reporting never receiving things clubs send - it's effectively the same thing, deliberate or not.
The point remains - their attempts to send are irrelevant if they're sending via a system which has shown repeated problems since it's inception - it is, effectively, as if a percentage of mail is getting piped in to the ether, not the eth :)

MBPL

Banned
change of subject

My comments were specific to the send / receive position.

I will leave all that to so called experts.
Shoot MTBA or RegNow or make your complaints known to anyone who can fix it......

Last edited:

serowe

Likes Dirt
I read a website, announcing a cancellation, and people making statements about receiving where as the sending is the issue - which you finally acknowledge - by calling this Reg Now as the "suspect".
I will leave all that to so called experts.
And like most here couldn't care less, I have a legal knowledge-simple. That is my job.
Strange then that you aren't using that 'legal knowledge' because the meeting hasn't been 'cancelled' as you keep trying to say - it has been POSTPONED and your 'legal knowledge' should be telling you that there is a very distinct difference between the two.

Do Kellogg's still issue legal degrees with their Corn Flakes or Wheeties packets?

MBPL

Banned
Family ties?

Strange then that you aren't using that 'legal knowledge' because the meeting hasn't been 'cancelled' as you keep trying to say - it has been POSTPONED and your 'legal knowledge' should be telling you that there is a very distinct difference between the two.

Do Kellogg's still issue legal degrees with their Corn Flakes or Wheeties packets?

Along with much said in this thread recently - little truth, fact, research or understanding.

Last edited:

faz

Likes Dirt
Postponement, not cancellation - big difference! Albeit neither are covered in the constitution, but hey!
I believe there are a general set of rules/regulations relating to this as set down in their incorporation. All clubs would have that as an underwriting feature even without it being in their specific constitution. And as MPBL has stated notice is given by sending not necessarily receiving provided there is some proof of sending. In any case MTBA has given everyone the appropriate measures for a legitimate AGM to be held when they reschedule the date.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Hmmm Ross - now you (read MTBA) are starting to get themselves into a nice legal minefield - did you forget that about a dozen or so messages back YOU (yes you, yourself) posted a message with a cut and paste message from the MTBA web site -

MTBA wishes to advise that the Annual General Meeting set down for this Saturday - 14th January - has been postponed.
The reasons for this are that we discovered that many members received neither an email or postal notification as is required by the MTBA constitution.
A new date is yet to be set by the committee but will be posted here when known. All Nominations received have been voided.
MTBA apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.
Note the word POSTPONED.

Given that your constitution doesn't cover the canellation or postponement of it's own MTBA (in reality it doesn't really cover much) the question has to be asked then - are you just trying to cover your own arse or are you simply trying to cover up something you have done and shouldn't have?

So Ross - what's the answer? The only reason a subsequent decision has been made to change it from postponement to cancellationwould be because under a postponement you can't void nominations. What does your legal training and the ACT Act say in this regard then?

As for the 'arogance and ignorance' is this also part of 'legal training'?

akashra

Eats Squid
I find it amusing that the post on the site has now changed to say 'Cancelled'... though the post slug still says 'postponed' (and wayback machine will always show 'postponed' for the page cache :)
I like to ride bikes
While I understand the sentiment you're trying to get at, if there weren't any of us who like to bitch about this kind of stuff on your behalf, you may find yourself unable to ride bikes - since the only people rallying for change and action would be the cyclist-haters you read in The Age :)

Reading a Kelloggs packet is a skill you may have, but as you have not obviously read the website, the voracity of your statement is incorrect. http://www.mtba.asn.au
Big words Cancelled.

Along with much said in this thred recently - little truth, fact, research or understanding. Plenty of arrogance and ignorance.
Yeah - it says 'canceled' - and it's been changed very recently. I wonder why. There's also a new AGM date published now (Feb 18) - which is, amusingly, the same day as the biggest annual MTB race in Victoria. I hate to go all conspiracy theory, but would this have been a deliberately inconvenient date picked? What was wrong with holding it in Adelaide at the National champs if we're going to hold it off that long?

I believe there are a general set of rules/regulations relating to this as set down in their incorporation. All clubs would have that as an underwriting feature even without it being in their specific constitution. And as MPBL has stated notice is given by sending not necessarily receiving provided there is some proof of sending. In any case MTBA has given everyone the appropriate measures for a legitimate AGM to be held when they reschedule the date.
What you're saying here is like saying "I delivered it" by giving it to your runner rather than AustraliaPost :)
The service has to be proven as recognised and reliable, and quite simply we've seen a history of the set-up they're using to not reliably deliver email.

faz

Likes Dirt
I
What you're saying here is like saying "I delivered it" by giving it to your runner rather than AustraliaPost :)
The service has to be proven as recognised and reliable, and quite simply we've seen a history of the set-up they're using to not reliably deliver email.
No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying what I wrote. :)