MTBA AGM- presidential vote

MBPL

Banned
Cancelled

As LesD can testify the compliance and content of an Associations Constitution is up to the Association to enforce.

Last edited:

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Did anyone receive info on this.... ie. email or Snail mail,

I am interested because i have received nothing, yet i receive stuff from MTBA all the time, i am the MTBA admin, and president for a club.

and have received nothing....

rrace

Squid
I received it OK

Did anyone receive info on this.... ie. email or Snail mail,

I am interested because i have received nothing, yet i receive stuff from MTBA all the time, i am the MTBA admin, and president for a club.

and have received nothing....

I have received the MTBA emails on the AGM ok. I'm also amazed at some of the nitpicking tripe and vitriol above. I hope some of the those above are not on the Committee.

serowe

Likes Dirt
I believe there are a general set of rules/regulations relating to this as set down in their incorporation. All clubs would have that as an underwriting feature even without it being in their specific constitution. And as MPBL has stated notice is given by sending not necessarily receiving provided there is some proof of sending. In any case MTBA has given everyone the appropriate measures for a legitimate AGM to be held when they reschedule the date.
Correct - all clubs usually have to have a set of well defined rules but the unfortunate part is that the MTBA constitution does not do this. In fact, if you read the constitution (dated 17 January 2010 and as published on the MTBA web site) there are a number of glaring errors - one of which (Rule 22 (3) ) is the rule which refers you to another rule supposedly saying HOW the notice of the AGM notification should be laid out. The only problem? The rule it refers you to (rule 38 (1) ) is a rule about what MBA should do with any assets in the case of MTBA being wound up!

Also missing, which is usually found in most associations constitution, is any reference to HOW an AGM, Special or general meeting should be handled if it is postponed or cancelled.

Either the constitution posted on the MTBA web site is not the correct one OR changes have been made along the way over the years and mistakes and ommissions haven't been picked up. So, maybe someone with a little 'legal background' can state how this should be handled?

And the obvious reason for the sudden turnaround to 'cancel' the meeting and not 'postpone' it? Simple really - the initial announcement that nominations had been voided was ummm how do I say this <cough> not quite legal would be a good term. Now, if anyone wants to trawl through the Acts Incorporations Act 1991 and the Associations Incorporation Regulations they may find some interesting reading (if any statute can be said to be 'interesting'). If you read Rule 22 (3) and the rule it refers to, the the stated reason for 'voiding' the nominations simply does not hold up ergo any nominations received should still be valid (and if push comes to shove - or court, whichever happens first :) ) they probably would be found to still be valid. I'm sure there is at least one of the nominees who would prefer it to happen this way!

Now isn't that right Mr. Andrew G. T.?

serowe

Likes Dirt
As LesD can testify the complaince and content of an Associations Constitution is up to the Association to enforce.
Actually it is up to the Association to ensure compliance. Enforcement is left to the relevant government department entrusted by Parliament to administer the Act.

LeeD

Likes Dirt
Actually it is up to the Association to ensure compliance. Enforcement is left to the relevant government department entrusted by Parliament to administer the Act.
Unless you are prepared to mount a supreme court action (at least in Qld) to challenge any decision an Incorporated Association makes, they the Executive have the final and binding say. The Attorney Generals Dept, who administers the said act, does'nt want to know about it as it is deemed to be an internal matter.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Provided they have followed the 'rules' - if they haven't then the appropriate govt department (in this case ACT) can, and will, act on behalf of the complainant. This however, isn't and doesn't necessarily apply here yet - the postponement/cancellation of the meeting, however, isn't covered in the constitution and, therefore, up in the air (principally in relation to the so-called 'voided' nominatons and the reason(s) behind this action).

Knut

Troll hunter
Take a step

Can we move on now? New meeting, more voters and good people to fill the roles.

serowe

Likes Dirt
What position do you want to be nominated for? Pres, Sec, Vice-Pres, Treas? Or all of them :) (Oh hang on - thought you were someone else... whoops :( )

akashra

Eats Squid
Indeed - there are a lot of people I've spoken to who now that they actually know the AGM is coming up where they had no idea about it previously, plan to put their hands up and get involved. This can be only a good thing.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
OK, so i still haven't recieved any info about this, where do i find out where i can vote, or who has nominated.

I also have a heap of IMBA members, what are there entitlements re: voting.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I am an MTBA member and the only email I have ever received on the subject is the one announcing the AGM had been postponed...

Anyway, for my two cents, I can tell you that my Club president is very pissed off at MTBA given that no clubs up here (e.g. not just ours, but most) receive no assistance from MTBA for pretty much anything, and I'd like to point out that the clubs give MTBA the majority of their funding.

I just hope that the breadth of this debate indicates that there is actually some talent out there and will give MTBA some direction. Whoever gets in, please remember that regular communication with your stakeholders (especially those that pay the bills) will go a very long way. If your long term vision is X, then let it be known!

paulb

Likes Dirt
Anyway, for my two cents, I can tell you that my Club president is very pissed off at MTBA given that no clubs up here (e.g. not just ours, but most) receive no assistance from MTBA for pretty much anything, and I'd like to point out that the clubs give MTBA the majority of their funding.
Bit puzzled by this, after being a member of a CA affiliated road club I thought MTBA had a light touch, apart from license costs which I think are largely insurance (and still cheap compared to CA). I think it's quite possible for clubs to do a lot if they have motivated members.

akashra

Eats Squid
What kind of assistance do would you like to receive? Seriously, get this stuff out in the open, and if people are passionate about it, they'll champion it.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I am an MTBA member and the only email I have ever received on the subject is the one announcing the AGM had been postponed...

I just hope that the breadth of this debate indicates that there is actually some talent out there and will give MTBA some direction. Whoever gets in, please remember that regular communication with your stakeholders (especially those that pay the bills) will go a very long way. If your long term vision is X, then let it be known!
Forgive me for not knowing, but where is "up here". Your state rep should be your first port of call for any discussions. Unless MTBA is approached for assistance it's sometimes hard to know what a club really needs.

MBPL

Banned
Help

NormDouglas is correct BUT I have approached the mountain bike powers and they did nothing. I gave up and went away to become a keyboard expert.

Last edited: