MTBA AGM- presidential vote

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tend to agree with this stance - however to my knowledge there are no club level downhill races in Victoria, everything goes straight to state level. If these club level downhill races do exist, clearly I'm not aware of them - maybe they're like some kind of underground sport.

As said, I'm also not exactly against the idea of requiring a full license for state level racing.
Personally, I still like the BMXA model - you can't race state unless you race club, you can't race national unless you race state, and are nominated by your club, etc.
I agree with the BMXA model, it ensures everyone is within their ability when they race national etc.
However, I think if we start doing that, we won't have enough to fill a podium!

There are 'ride days' and evening racing at Long Gully, if you look around, most places hold irregular monthy ride day/social races - at club level

akashra

Eats Squid
I agree with the BMXA model, it ensures everyone is within their ability when they race national etc.
However, I think if we start doing that, we won't have enough to fill a podium!

There are 'ride days' and evening racing at Long Gully, if you look around, most places hold irregular monthy ride day/social races - at club level
You're exactly right - the BMXA model works because they have enough members. If every event had the participation level of an Otway Odyssey or Dirtworks 100, yeah, it would work. But we don't.

Wait... I've just named two non-MTBA events as examples. Hmmm...
I think there's something in that :(

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
(Maybe when a MTB is sold at a bike shop to social only rider, that an IMBA membership is waved before the bike purchaser's eyes and persuasive encouragement of all the benefits that IMBA-aus is bringing to the recreational rider in trail advocacy etc ). IMB-aus would then become the body with the bigger political, trail advococy role and MTBA the body solely responsible for racing development. management etc. MTBA cannot hope to be all things to all people.
I think that this could be a great starting point to solve some of the issues that are being raised here in this thread.

MTBA = Racing (Nat & State series/champs - including things like 24hr Champs)
IMBA AU = Trail work, participation events (club level events, general enduros/marathons/24hr events that are not qualifiers for worlds, etc). Recreational riders (I'm assuming anyway) like riding a marathon course because of three main reasons:
1... It is a marked/marshalled trail, little chance of getting lost, and if hurt yourself, there is an excellent chance you will receive prompt attention;
2... It is an opportunity to explore unchartered trail to the individual; and
3... It is a personal challenge that tests the rider's preparation, mental and physcial capabilities and the usually fantastic atomsphere that surrounds these events.

Private promoters achieve this because they have the resources to do so (the main admin/management are paid). For clubs to put on these type of events, takes an enormous amount of volenteer time, and hence, there a very few (if any now?) club marathons.

Personally, I think private promoters should stick to marathons as they are a lot more logistically challenging, however, 3/4/6/8/10/12/24 hour enduros can be run by a capable and willing club as they are on a 8-15km circuit rather than 100km one.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
And everyone pays the $90 or so event fee.......whats it to you if someone has a full liscence or buys a day liscence. Shouldnt matter to the club running the event.
It does matter to the club because it's a pain to administer and DLs give nothing to the hosting club whilst offering buggar all insurance to the rider.

Taking out a full license means you also join the club. Sure the extra $10-$20 club membership fee isn't going to change the world for that club but the more members they have the more barganing power they have with council, land managers and potential sponsors.

It also gives the club a bigger membership base to hopefully draw volunteers from.

Part of your full license fees comes back to the state as the State Development Fund. Which is to be spent on projects that offer "A lasting benefit" to mountain biking. You state body can decide to use that on local advocacy issues, volunteer training, junior develop etc

Besides why should non members get the same entitlements and benefits as full members?

I mean if you come up to Lithgow and we go up to the Workies for a few drinks I get cheaper beer and food than you and also earn points to go into prize draws and stuff. Why? Cause I'm a full member and that's some of the benefits I get for being a full member of that organisation. No different here.

Last edited:

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
I think that this could be a great starting point to solve some of the issues that are being raised here in this thread.

MTBA = Racing (Nat & State series/champs - including things like 24hr Champs)
IMBA AU = Trail work, participation events (club level events, general enduros/marathons/24hr events that are not qualifiers for worlds, etc). Recreational riders
I'd change this to:

MTBA = Racing (Nat & State series/champs - including things like 24hr Champs, club level events,)
IMBA AU = Trail work, participation events (general enduros/marathons/24hr events that are not qualifiers for worlds, etc). Recreational riders

I'd agree that promoter run events such as Angry Doctor, Fling, Dirtworks, Husky 100 etc be placed under the IMBA membership (and those who ride these events contribute say $5-10 each to IMBA) and for insurances be arranged through alternative companies rather than MTBA. IMBA would then be developing the financial resources to really push the boundaries as to future trail and track development. It would be financially viable to stand on it's own 2 feet. Maybe, one day we will see great trails as they do in UK and other o/d destinations.

Perhaps this is what has already been going through the potential president's mind or already on mtba agenda??

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
You're exactly right - the BMXA model works because they have enough members. If every event had the participation level of an Otway Odyssey or Dirtworks 100, yeah, it would work. But we don't.

Wait... I've just named two non-MTBA events as examples. Hmmm...
I think there's something in that :(
You've just hit my pet peeve... I'm a member for 2 reasons (1) I need a license to race MTBA events and buying a day license every time is a pain and (2) cause its a good thing to do (don't have huge amounts of time to contribute to trail days etc but can contribute by paying membership etc).

However... it seems that more and more events are being set up outside of MTBA (Dirtworks, CP, OO, Angry Dr, Highland Fling... in fact most marathon events!)... my MTBA insurance doesn't cover me when not racing in sanctioned events... my health fund runs a mile from anything called a race (yes I checked) so I am more or less compelled to take out insurance for that event which... costs about the same as a MTBA day license!

F'n annoying!

What is it about the MTBA 'product' that means that private promoters would rather source their own insurance than just use MTBA and day licenses (don't explain that it is saving money for the punter as to me... it seems like a day license and third party event insurance is about the same... I guess it is optional so I could choose to take the risk whereas for an MTBA event everyone has to have a license... be interested to see what would happen in a legal sense with people 'choosing' to be uninsured... its not like the duty of care from the promoter is any different)

akashra

Eats Squid
What is it about the MTBA 'product' that means that private promoters would rather source their own insurance than just use MTBA and day licenses (don't explain that it is saving money for the punter as to me... it seems like a day license and third party event insurance is about the same... I guess it is optional so I could choose to take the risk whereas for an MTBA event everyone has to have a license... be interested to see what would happen in a legal sense with people 'choosing' to be uninsured... its not like the duty of care from the promoter is any different)
Mention the words 'rule book' or 'commissaire' around a private promoter and watch them run for hills. It's an added headache where they have to answer to someone who isn't themselves.

Most of these PPs already have their own insurance providers that cover all their events (remember, some of them run maybe 50 events a year, many of them multisport).

I think the problem is it hasn't been sold to them well. Ie, we need someone who's awesome at sales. They don't get that from every day license sold, they get $x. They don't get that it's 'only' $300 to affiliate. But then they're also being told they have to be "professional". By an organisation that primarily focuses on volunteer clubs.

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
.............. that it's 'only' $300 to affiliate. But then they're also being told they have to be "professional". By an organisation that primarily focuses on volunteer clubs.
Is it possible to know which PP are affiliated with MTBA? Is this accessible to the general public?

(I presume that if affiliated they then fall under the commissaire guidelines of MTBA as indicated?? It certainly makes it easy as members of MTBA to go in these PP events, but obviously not all punters want to be MTBA members. Why not though have them as IMBA members?)

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Is it possible to know which PP are affiliated with MTBA? Is this accessible to the general public?
Yes. Go here and browse through.

Here in NSW, off the top of my head we have Chocolate Foot, Rocky Trail Entertainment and Wannaride regularly running events.

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
Another light read! I was asked to prepare a 1000 word vision that was consequently not required...For those interested here it is:

MTBA PRESSIDENTIAL CANDIDATE VISION- SIMON FRENCH

SUMMARY

MTBA has made some significant advancements over the past two years with the redevelopment of the National Series and the development of IMBA Australia to name but two. It is now time to consolidate these achievements and to begin looking forward towards developing new services and products that will cater for the masses. I believe I have the experience and ability to develop effective relationships with the new committee to ensure a productive and successful year for MTBA. I am a consultative person who is ultimately seeking this position to represent the riders of Australia- I don’t have all the answers and I certainly am not always right. What I am is committed to the sport of mountain bike riding in Australia. My vision for the following year is as follows:

THE NATIONAL SERIES

I believe the notion of splitting the National Series into a Gravity and an XC/trail series should be explored. This will allow better-focused marketing (i.e. The Gravity Cup etc), access to better venues (we don't need to service all disciplines in one place- we can choose the best tracks possible), and a more workable/less rushed schedule. We can then run concurrent weekends if destinations are remote to reduce cost structures (i.e. two Victoria rounds back to back weekends, gravity one weekend, trail/XC the next).

By taking the elite level of the series to the next level our series will gain greater international recognition and relevance- this would flow on to more international teams supporting and encouraging their elite riders to compete. If our very best were at every round I believe our overall numbers will increase.

Lastly, I would like to explore the notion of revising our National Series into an invite-only 'pro tour/series' which has ‘support races’ attached. This places our elite riders at the absolute top and allows us to develop more challenging courses that would otherwise exclude newer/lesser skilled riders. The support race where possible could be run on an easier trail, which I believe would result in a significant increase in participants. The simpler schedule of the split series would allow us to work two events in to one weekend without too much difficulty.

BEYOND THE NATIONAL SERIES

COMMISSAIRE POLICY

MTBA needs to become more relevant and supportive to our clubs. The first rendition of the commissaire policy was too rigid and in many cases made running a club level event overly officious (and as a club president I know this first-hand). The revised policy (to be released soon) will go some way towards correcting this, though ultimately I believe we need to provide better support to our clubs, who ultimately service most of our members. I believe the commissaire policy is a good thing and is essential to raising the standard of all MTBA events, though I look forward to working with clubs to ensure the policy is tailored to suit their needs.

STATE BODIES

I believe ultimately there needs to be better structure through the states with a formal state body in each. This will ensure there is a clear contact point for land managers and government, providing the picture of mountain biking as an organised and professional entity. The formation of state bodies would allow a better plan for future trail developments, with recognition of the broader state picture. The chance of success in grant funding is also much greater with a recognised, state authority.

I believe MTBA as the National governing agency should support and administer this process from the top down, and I am committed to driving this process. I believe ultimately this will provide a better use of resources, greater recognition, more trail development, and more relevance to the current and prospective members of MTBA.

MEMBERSHIP

The big question currently faced by MTBA is one of relevance- how does MTBA become more relevant to the riders of Australia? For one, we need to develop a fresh suite of services and products that cater to mass participation. I believe a marathon series and a stage race series would be one way of achieving this. This could be done in the off-season to provide year round opportunities.

I believe our National Series junior clinics can be ‘ramped up’ to become an excellent gateway for younger riders to get into the sport, and not just into the competitive realm. These clinics have been hugely successful and deserve to be a focus of further development and attention.

For the ‘everyday’ rider not at all interested in racing the focus for MTBA and IMBA should be on trail advocacy and a repackaged insurance/social membership. MTBA needs to better communicate what it has already achieved to the riding public, so much has been achieved already with little public awareness of these successes and commitments.
I don’t have all the answers here, but I am prepared to engage and listen to others views on how MTBA can become a relevant organisation that supports the Australian mountain bike community.

COMMUNICATION

I believe I have the personality traits and communication skills to steer the incoming MTBA committee towards positive outcomes. I am committed to building positive relationships with all MTBA’s staff volunteers and affiliates- I believe this change in attitude will have huge flow-on benefits to the goals of MTBA. I would be a consultative president who encourages, supports, fosters and enacts the vision of the members and the committee through positive communication.

SUMMARY

The presidency of MTBA is a tough role, and the following year will undoubtedly present many challenges. My time in the committee has I believe prepared me well for the role of president; I am aware of the challenges facing MTBA and believe I have a vision to face these challenges. My 14 year involvement in the mountain bike industry has always included a strong focus on the development of the sport in Australia. I believe the MTBA presidency would provide me with the platform to make a huge difference to Australian mountain bike riders.

I believe MTBA is about all riders, from elite level racers through to first time weekend warriors- I am committed to the evolution of MTBA as an organisation that is relevant and representative to all these riders and racers.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep absolutley but should they be encouraged to try their first race at a state or national level or should they be trying club level first?

I maintain it should be the latter.

In NSW we haven't allowed Day Licenses at State champs for several years. The last 2 years we haven't allowed Day Licenses at all at state level DH. Entry numbers have grown and events have run more smoothly.

DLs at state level really are a pain in the arse for clubs and, as I said, State level isn't the place to "try it out to see if you like it"

If young johnny wants to try racing to see if he likes it go to a club race and take out a "cheap" day license. be aware that it offers you pretty much no insurance at all. It's kind of like compulsory thrid party, it covers others against you but not yourself.

If little johnny wants to continue then buy a full license, MTBA now offer a discount off a yearly license if you've previously bought a DL.
I disagree that a state event is not the place to try......Hell, by that thinking, more than half the riders (lets think sport div etc) who are not competitive, shouldnt turn up either? Lets face it, they arent really competitive. Just like little johnny in his first race. There simply isnt enough club, or social events for DH to say to newcomers, dont come to the State events, its not really for you!

It really feels like the sport (DH) is being turned into an elitist game - the way road riding has been going for years. And I think it sucks. Heres the new committee candidates getting hammered on this thread for what they need to do to promote the spoirt etc, and certainly things like this do not help the cause.
Im actually flabergasted that the VICE piped in in a post above to say that the club can do the hell what ever they like.
Well, thats a sign of real leadership from MTBA.....I can see now why we're all going to hell in a handbasket.......

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I disagree that a state event is not the place to try......Hell, by that thinking, more than half the riders (lets think sport div etc) who are not competitive, shouldnt turn up either? Lets face it, they arent really competitive. Just like little johnny in his first race. There simply isnt enough club, or social events for DH to say to newcomers, dont come to the State events, its not really for you!

It really feels like the sport (DH) is being turned into an elitist game - the way road riding has been going for years. And I think it sucks. Heres the new committee candidates getting hammered on this thread for what they need to do to promote the spoirt etc, and certainly things like this do not help the cause.
Im actually flabergasted that the VICE piped in in a post above to say that the club can do the hell what ever they like.
Well, thats a sign of real leadership from MTBA.....I can see now why we're all going to hell in a handbasket.......
So would you prefer that the governing body dictates to the club what they can and can't do? Interesting, because this is precisely one of the major differences between MTB and Road cycling... and road clubs look upon us in envy. What I mean is that the club is free to run and promote (entry fee, prize money etc) however they see is best for their fit.
For example my club here in Forrest chose NOT to be involved in a state series, because we wanted to do things a little different. I'm glad I had that choice, and frankly I hope it always exists.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So would you prefer that the governing body dictates to the club what they can and can't do? Interesting, because this is precisely one of the major differences between MTB and Road cycling... and road clubs look upon us in envy. What I mean is that the club is free to run and promote (entry fee, prize money etc) however they see is best for their fit.
For example my club here in Forrest chose NOT to be involved in a state series, because we wanted to do things a little different. I'm glad I had that choice, and frankly I hope it always exists.
Well, actually you DO dictate what can and cant happen. I Believe its all in that 88 page or so document thats called The Membership Guide and Rules.

My original concern was the un-ethical fees being charged for day - liscense. (extra $15 in previous posts).

Im seeing an attitude contrary to YOUR adopted statement about promoting MTB for the benefit of all members.

I now realise that this means -NON-Members can be screwed by a day liscense fee charged to what ever an organising body wants to charge, in contravention of the code applying to all persons acting on behalf of MTBA ( organisers collecting liscense fees) in relation to the para on Day racing liscense, and the MTBA published scale of fees.

But thats ok, because it appears you are saying they can do what they want. MTBA has rules. CA has rules etc etc. Yes,they are different. Given. The Envy appears it will be short lived if the rules and policies we do have, are not applied.....

Im happy for your choice about not being involved in a state series. Cant see where that is compulsory, so whats your point there? I believe new comers to the sport should have the choice to attend a state event and not be priced out of attending due to bad policy or application there-of.

I see charging "extra" MTBA Liscence fees contrary to the first point in the Key elements. Acting in a manner compatible with MTBA interests, and not misuse provided funds or property belonging to another.....

In any case, this isnt a direct attack at the MTBA executive, I just hope you can take my points for discussion.
If you think Im disillusioned, hey, theres lots more out there, but at least I have a voice, and I think MTBA needs to listen to all concerns, and act appropriately to keep the sport alive, and affordable for ALL.

swanny

Likes Dirt
Mate, like a famous Trav said in the other thread....... "are you for real"

The MTBA guidelines advise clubs to charge a minimum of $20.00 for day licenses. Anyhow, why is it that as soon as someone gets an idea in there head, they find it appropriate to blurt it out all over the www, and not go straight to the source, and it discuss it maturely with the appropriate people. You will find that everyone in the VDHS is extremely approachable, and in fact, completely open to ALL suggestions. The VDHS was designed specifically around the riders suggestions over the years, and we charge accordingly to cover the cost of running and administering these events. Every extra dollar and cent that may come from the events goes either a/ into a MTB club, or b/into the VDHS Capitation fund that is used to fund the development of our series through rider development, trail work, prizes, prizemoney, infrastructure, etc. If you, and any of your so called critics, EVER want to know more information about the financials of the VDHS, MTBA or your Club, just ask. Its your money and you are entitled to know. The VDHS has never tried to hide its financial position.
With regards to your specific concern, are you a MTBA member or do you take a day license at each event. If you are a member, how issue even affect you?? If you are not, the only reason it would affect you is if you are doing more than, say, 4 events a year, in which case, take out a bloody license.
The VDHS is constantly growing and evolving, and right now we are needing to put a limit on how many people turn up. It doesnt seem to me that we have people worried about the extra $10.00 on their $500 (minimum) weekend.
These are probably the same people that come to my shop at the races and wonder why their forks are not working, and want a fork service in the middle of the fucking bush........ "its only been leaking since November, and i thought you guys could just fix it for me"

By all means join the VDHS committee, and make your difference. Its great fun.......

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
frenchie;2327838 SUMMARY I believe MTBA is about all riders said:
MTBA=racers
IMBA=non racers interested in riding trails.

What do you do with PP event? This is where IMBA membership becomes relevent.

Can MTBA and IMBA be sensibly split, so that MTBA can concentrate on what it's prime audience is.. developing high end racing??

KISS

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

The MTBA guidelines advise clubs to charge a minimum of $20.00 for day licenses. Anyhow, why is it that as soon as someone gets an idea in there head, they find it appropriate to blurt it out all over the www, and not go straight to the source, and it discuss it maturely with the appropriate people. You will find that everyone in the VDHS is extremely approachable, and in fact, completely open to ALL suggestions. The VDHS was designed specifically around the riders suggestions over the years, and we charge accordingly to cover the cost of running and administering these events. Every extra dollar and cent that may come from the events goes either a/ into a MTB club, or b/into the VDHS Capitation fund that is used to fund the development of our series through rider development, trail work, prizes, prizemoney, infrastructure, etc. If you, and any of your so called critics, EVER want to know more information about the financials of the VDHS, MTBA or your Club, just ask. Its your money and you are entitled to know. The VDHS has never tried to hide its financial position.
With regards to your specific concern, are you a MTBA member or do you take a day license at each event. If you are a member, how issue even affect you?? If you are not, the only reason it would affect you is if you are doing more than, say, 4 events a year, in which case, take out a bloody license.
The VDHS is constantly growing and evolving, and right now we are needing to put a limit on how many people turn up. It doesnt seem to me that we have people worried about the extra $10.00 on their $500 (minimum) weekend.
These are probably the same people that come to my shop at the races and wonder why their forks are not working, and want a fork service in the middle of the fucking bush........ "its only been leaking since November, and i thought you guys could just fix it for me"

By all means join the VDHS committee, and make your difference. Its great fun.......
What's involved with the role of the VDHS committee swanny? just out of curiosity, we've got such an amazing series and as you said it's growing so much! and how what are the thoughts for dealing with the expanding numbers, and interstate riders coming to it? Getting involved on that level/mtba level is something I'd like to do in later years.

and agree to the above, how can MTBA possibly cater for those recreational cyclists, racing gives a focus/an area of which is possible to apply effort and funding too, how does MTBA get people to see joining MTBA as an positive if their a casual rider or don't race? I'm guity of no longer being a member as I haven't raced for a quiet a while, I know I should be to support a body that does what it does for cycling in Aus but then I see the issues with private bike parks and would rather see MTBA help places like greenvalley etc get on their feet as this could attract those recreational riders ( aswell as better public viewing events, easier media coverage, evolving an aspect of the sport thats basically non-existent in this country yet so big elsewhere). Places like You Yangs seem to do some much: I hear about this place from non-riders just because of it's ease of access and the great work by Trav and the crew.

Also how heavily does MTBA play a role on things outside the XCO/marathon/privately held events? I'd like to see more public presence eg banners etc. i think that would help people realise where and how their money is being spent, I don't think I've ever seen an MTBA marketting device ( and thats what it is in the end), you've got to also show/give appearance of people getting something for their money, this would help me feel better about it, and probably many others.

RE: I think the state/vs club races shouldn't make a difference to a person starting out their racing, heck the price difference between a club race and the state race isn't that much of a difference anyways, and it's mostly the same crew. I for one am excited about a possible winter series, to have a year round race series could really see even more of our youth come through the ranks, just look at our junior runks, already freaking amazing! with year round racing that would potentially push it to a level not yet seen.

edit: good point by Brad below, when i do race it is the club races and not the state ones. I also ride and know alot of riders who have no connection with MTBA would should, but again they see no appeal from 13-50+ for just riding/od club race.

The splitting gravity based events from MTBA came up last year aswell didn't it? if this happened what would be the consequences for both sides, which leads to me ask, % wise what part of the membership base and fees come from each of the genres? is one catering for a larger part of the pie but not seeing it returned? is any genre carrying the other?

would splitting them see a better development for the languished 4x/dual slalom racing or Dirt jump/Free ride style events?

my question is also, how does MTBA go about attracting the bigger sponsors like Nissan, Oakley, Red bull etc. we've got one of the best series going around and yet we lack so many non-bicycle sponsors, how are the presidents going to attract the bigger companies into a sport that still flys so under the radar for the number of people who participate?

Lastly, anyone planning a enduro-downhill series, so many people have the bikes here in aus for it, yet there is only wellington!? the Buller brake burner has the potential, surely another part of the sport going under-developed as what seems to be failed XCO/XC/marathons compete with the private enduro events of DW 100km, golden square epic etc

longest post I've made on this site for a long time...

Last edited:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I am for real, I am fully MTBA, BMX/CA Liscenced. And I am an MTB/Roadie club President. And Ive been executive for state level MTB events in states other than Vic, where I now reside.
I can afford the fees, my concern is not for me. Its for the sport.

And I raise these concerns in a PUBLIC forum, because its of PUBLIC concern. (read MTB fraternity). At least Ive raised your responses, (not likely if it was aletter or email) And people get the opportunity to see the issue and discussion points. It is appropriate, as the issue was not a PRIVATE one or I would have raised it with individuals only. Its an issue at the core of MTBA, and I was seeking the views of anyone, but particularly interested to see what the candidates for MTBA presidency had to say. These issues affect how people VOTE for their committee.

You obviously would prefer people to lay down and be A**F***** by MTBA or event organisers. Im happy to pay the $90 event entry fee (that covers costs appropriately). Im happy to pay my annual liscences.
But to hear that its a pain to do day liscences just flies in the face of what you want -people to pay a full liscence on the same day, and organisers still have the same amount of work to take the money and send it in with the form. You are kidding me! Charging extra to do a DL rather than a full liscence takes away a persons choice. Its a Government style cash grab that does nothing to promote the sport!

Id even be happy if they scrapped the day liscences. Lets see what happens then ...Or to hell with MTBA. Why doesnt Downhill go separate, or get event by event insurance and include a component with the event entry. At least any of these ways appears honest.

Like I say, this doesnt affect me, but I have 100s of "club" people whom ride and wont go the way of MTBA. But they do enter other public events.......And our privately run ones.

So Ill ask directly then, how can the taking of the extra "MTBA Liscence fees" be justified?

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
You obviously would prefer people to lay down and be A**F***** by MTBA or event organisers. Im happy to pay the $90 event entry fee (that covers costs appropriately). Im happy to pay my annual liscences.
Here is where many people fail in their understanding of a MEMBER driven organisation...

YOU ARE MTBA... so you are A**F**** yourself?

You claim to be an MTBA member... and you're not happy. But instead of doing something about it, you just whinge here on RB behind a non identifiable forum name.

I just don't get people like you. Don't blame the Bloody organisation (MTBA) unless you are willing to do something about it. OR Create something better...
Sure there is heaps wrong with MTBA. But whilst I have kids coming through my club who want to be the next Cadel and need a pathway... then I'm going to put my NAME and my MONEY where my mouth is.
I'm stepping down at this coming election... but that won't stop me from defending MTBA. Whilst I may have had disagreements with some on the committee... and visa versa... I still believe in the organisation.

Signed.
Norm Douglas
of Forrest. No hidden name here.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Liscenced, liscences, liscences, liscence, liscence, liscences, Liscence
It doesn't matter how many times you write it like that, it is wrong. LICENCE, LICENCES.

Licence is a noun, as in "Day Licence". License is a verb, as in "I am licensed to sell alcohol". There is no such word as Liscence.

bigev

Likes Bikes
If you have local cheap club racing going on then let us know about it.
Your are definitely looking in the wrongs places for events. Obviously you arent going to come to Adelaide to race but surely theres clubs up your way that are similar to us. Adelaide MTB Club run 4 x 6hr enduros a year and 6 x XCOs, and entry is $25 and $12 resspectively. I think what you will find is the reason all those races you are talking about are so expensive is because they are run by private promoters looking to make a profit and you are paying for their insurance as well.