My current bike is a 2017 Evil Insurgent. It's a 150mm rear/160mm front 27.5 in wheeled monster, however I'm slightly mullet curious. From my barely decipherable scribbles:
- With a 160mm Fox 36 on the front the current Axle to Crown height is 549.1mm.
- With a 150mm Fox 36 29er on the front, allowing for the additional size of the wheel, the Axle to Crown height is 576.1mm (an extra 27mm).
- I read on single tracks somewhere that an extra 20mm of A-C height equates to approximately 1deg different in head tube angle.
- The Insurgent has adjustable flip-chips. In the low setting, head angle is 65.6 deg (or roughly 64.6 in 29er guise), and in the X-low setting its 64.8 (or roughly 63.8 in 29er guise).
- My plan was to run it in X-Low to keep the BB height down (it should lower it about 11.6 mm, and then run a 1 deg Works Components headset to steepen it up to 64.8 degrees.
- An obvious downside will be the seat tube angle which in X-low is already a pretty slack 73.4, and I'm assuming will only get slacker with the longer fork. Not too phased by this, it's going to be a winch and plummet bike. I have a 120mm trail bike for when it's necessary to go uphill for fun.
- To deal with the 27mm higher front end, I had planned to swap from 35mm riser bars to 10mm riser bars.