My day at the race track(cars)

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Original post and pic hosting on HCOR.net

Gutty said:
So every few months my stepfather and his mates hire out one of the local(actually about 2 hrs away) race tracks and they all take their cars out for a fang. I used to tag along in whatever i had at the time but for the last few years i've had a Moto to cart around so am driving a ute(thats aussie for a pick up). Well last week i got a call asking if i'd like to have a drive, of course i jumped at the chance. So i tagged along with an old mate and was very surprised at what i'd driven by the time i got home. I got to drive a couple of really fast WRXs, a super nice Porsche, an R34 skyline and my stepdads 355. Probably one of the funnest days in my life.
here are some pics from the day.

This thing was so sweet, all ready to race(GT production class), i had a little trouble with the rear stepping out but nothing too scary.

Didn't get to drive this but it's so nice i had to take some pics, puts out some biiig horse power and sounded great full song at the end of the straight.

One for the Bullit owners

One of the WRXs i had a play with, this was my mates old car, running around 18psi boost and lots of STi upgrades, not a bad car for the $$$. And really good fun on a tight track.

My mate Daves new WRX, this is quite heavily modified and is getting somewhere around 400-450hp so he says. he's replaced the standard block, crank, pistons with 2.5litre jobs, bigger turbo(26psi boost, adjustable), new intercooler and a whole bunch of other internal mods...........i got confused after a while. maybe too much power, he melted a piston on his third lap.......i never got to drive this on the track but did drive it down the freeway for an hour or so, mind blowing power for such a small car.

Under the bonnet

This replica was nice, but for some stupid reason the owner put an automatic transmission in it........wierd IMO.

I got to do a coupla dozen laps in my stepdads 355 Berlinetta, it's currently in "Challenge" spec minus the roll cage and full slicks(they are left at home on play days). the braking power of this car is simply mind blowing. I would never ever get bored again if i owned this car.

And finally one for all the Aussie on here, this was apparently the last LE Monaro sold in Oz, around 1976 i believe. It has won the burnout comp at the summer nats twice and has some fuck'n huge amount of horse power. Pitty it didn't handle for shit and was quite a handful around a race track. Deffinately a nice street legal drag car though.

Sorry Taz, not many Vettes in Oz mate :wink:

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice cans man, shame they all got too many wheels.
now if you had a couple of SP1's or maybe a couple of the older 888 dukes, then you'd be onto something :lol:
looks like it was an awesome day.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lupine128 said:
now if you had a couple of SP1's or maybe a couple of the older 888 dukes, then you'd be onto something :lol:
looks like it was an awesome day.
Hahaha, yeah i'd be all over them too. :D

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
oooooh,

someone or some people are RICH!

I wish i were you!!

To bad im not 18 yet!!

MrPlow

TMBC
Nice rides Gutty 8)
Are they Sparco wheels and drivers seat in the 355?
Interesting that your mate has done all that work stroking out the WRX, and still has a top mount "interwarmer" :? No wonder he melted a piston! Should really get a front mount or a water/air IMO.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice ponies and that cobra is sweet as.

Remember "there is no replacement for displacement"

Got the bike now here is my next dream

(Capa supercharged XR8 put out 340kw, in the latest motor mag, hahahaha take that HOLDEN)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Mahoney_007 said:
(Capa supercharged XR8 put out 340kw, in the latest motor mag, hahahaha take that HOLDEN)
Nice car, but read the rest of the mag, specifically the bit with the Corsa coupe, sure it's bored/stroked, but it's also N/A and it's well in excess of 340.
Anyway, whichever way you frame it they're all based on a family car, hardly the best basis for a sports car.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MrPlow said:
Nice rides Gutty 8)
Are they Sparco wheels and drivers seat in the 355?
Interesting that your mate has done all that work stroking out the WRX, and still has a top mount "interwarmer" :? No wonder he melted a piston! Should really get a front mount or a water/air IMO.
Yes, i believe they are Sparco from memory, they are what you get in the "Challenge spec" pakage(basiclly a race kit, bigger breaks, roll cage, wheels, seat etc).
That rex does have water injection or whatever it is on the intercooler, i don't really know that much about em though. All the work done on it is by a pretty respectable workshop that do several Group A Commodores, they are claiming it was a faulty piston..............but you'd expect em to say that so..........

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hehe, this reminds of the WRX my mechanic had in when I was picking up my car. They're mainly a race workshop, and one of their customers had a hard-tuned WRX race car, which he decided wasn't enough, so he had a Sydney engine shop build up a 2.5 engine for it. 25grand later he has a new engine to put in the car, so it gets shipped out here, and my mech dumps it in and hooks it up. I saw the thing and the engine bay was SO packed it wasn't funny, the air filter was almost a foot long, and was all creased and bent just so it would fit in! Anyway, they chuck it on the dyno and: uh, oh. It's down 30 horses on the old engine :shock: .
When I went in to pick up my car he was sitting there swearing at the thing trying to figure out why it was so down on power...

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wombat said:
Hehe, this reminds of the WRX my mechanic had in when I was picking up my car. They're mainly a race workshop, and one of their customers had a hard-tuned WRX race car, which he decided wasn't enough, so he had a Sydney engine shop build up a 2.5 engine for it. 25grand later he has a new engine to put in the car, so it gets shipped out here, and my mech dumps it in and hooks it up. I saw the thing and the engine bay was SO packed it wasn't funny, the air filter was almost a foot long, and was all creased and bent just so it would fit in! Anyway, they chuck it on the dyno and: uh, oh. It's down 30 horses on the old engine :shock: .
When I went in to pick up my car he was sitting there swearing at the thing trying to figure out why it was so down on power...
hahahahahaha, i bag the shit outta my mate for spending so much on his "hotted up shopping trolley"............ :p