my forks

alexMc

Likes Dirt
my forks a making a really weird squeaking noise i duno if its healthy or not and it pisses every 1 off dose any 1 know what it is and how i can stop it. they are marzocchi exr comps

CHEWY

Eats Squid
yea it happens to a lot of marz's.... its the cryro(sp?) fit crown starting to seperate from the stanctions... u could try turning ur bike upside down and putting some loctite red (i think) in the tiny gap between stanction and crown, ive heard that stops the creaking. or if theyre still in warrnety marz should fix em up no worries.
could also be ur headset or brakes

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
on a slightly less alarmist note, check and see if the seals are lubed, because that can cause some squeaking/creaking.
and also just check that the spacers on the steerer aren't causing it.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok, um, i meant greasing the seals, not WD40.
to do it properly you'll need fork oil, some grease,a bucket, a few tools and about 10 mins (20 mins if you keep having to look for things the way i always do).
with the bike suspended, remove the front wheel. remove the top caps from the forks. then slide the spring out. put the bucket under the forks and undo the nut at the bottom of the leg and watch all your oil fall into the bucket. see why it was there?
repeat on other leg.
slowly slide the lower legs off the forks.
check and see that they are clean, and not full of the mud that you really don't want to use as damping fluid.
put a liberal amount of grease around the interior of the seal. this is the perfect time to check that the seals are still good anyway, so check that as well.
being carefull not to trap any of the seal, replace the lowers. replace the nuts on the end of the legs, fully compress the forks and refill with oil to the correct height (check the marzocchi site for the right height), gently cycle the forks thru a few up and downs to make sure the fork oil level is correct. replace springs and caps. wipe everything down, and replace wheel.
you just serviced your forks, and didn't use WD40.
enjoy the new and improved feel of your forks till next time.

wombat

Lives in a hole
alexMc said:
heh thats complicated it was rp7 and it's doing fine if it fuks u pin the long run ohh well
Complicated? Servicing those things is about as simple as it comes!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
alexMc said:
heh thats complicated it was rp7 and it's doing fine if it fuks u pin the long run ohh well
Ah well.... lupine that was a much appreciated answer... by ME and probably many others! Thanks for taking the time to do that FOR US!!!!!!

But it makes me wonder why we bother sometimes. Eh? I think I made my feelings on this topic known in this thread

http://www.farkin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4556&start=25

but it certainly got up some people's noses there... so if anyone's sensitive about they way they do things don't even look.