My Ipod (nano) Experience

cE

Likes Dirt
Bought an ipod nano 2 gb (in sexy black!) a couple of weeks ago - $289. I decided on the nano 1) because of its color screen....I wanted to be able to show pictures on it, and 2) I wanted a flash based player. Also bought a pack of those clear plastic stick-on protectors...heard the screens get scratched up pretty easily so thought i'd play it safe.

Took it riding, jogging, to the gym, on the train, and all is good. I'm rapt with my purchase. No problems at all.

Yesterday, Im working out in the gym, ipod in my shorts pocket. Halfway through, I feel the urge to skip the current song, so I reach into my pocket and realise the ipod is feeling a little bit warm. Look down and see that the screen has cracked into two pieces! I don't remember any particular incident, but I must have bashed the ipod against something. Music is playing fine, it's only the screen thats affected.

Later, I give Apple a call....turns out that any damage to the screen voids the warranty. So i'm out of luck there - no free replacement, the guy suggests I try a computer repair shop in Melbourne who are offering good prices on screen replacements. I call that shop, to replace the screen will cost $200 including parts and labor. F**k that, i'd rather buy something else.

I just tried connecting it to my PC, my PC doesnt even recognise it anymore.

I think it recharges though, because the screen lights up. Only have a couple of hours worth of songs on it. See how long they keep me interested for.
So now i'm pretty much stuck with a $289 paperweight. Maybe i can sell it on ebay for $20, and buy a Shuffle instead.

Now just to clarify...i'm not knocking anyone here. The customer relations guy at Apple was pretty sympathetic but there was nothing he could do (or so he said). Im just re-telling my experience. Think of it what you will.

mustard

Likes Dirt
yeah same with my mate, he sat on his screen and cracked it cough cough.
and apple won't repair it. So now thats 400 bucks down the drain. I'm still to purchase an mp3 player...

wiggy69

Likes Dirt
i dont think it broke because you hit or something like that I heard that ipod nanos screens break really easily
anyway way bad luck

my mate mate has an ipod shuffle works great

fieldy

Likes Dirt
yerr my ipods shit too. the battery runs out in about 5 mins after charging it all night and the battery display says its full. wtf? so i go to the apple shop and they say i have to download all the new software. so i do. and it still does the same f#$%ing thing. im soooo pissed. i have to leave it plugged into the friggin power point if i want to listen to the dam thing......

Anthonaut

Likes Dirt
fieldy said:
yerr my ipods shit too. the battery runs out in about 5 mins after charging it all night and the battery display says its full. wtf? so i go to the apple shop and they say i have to download all the new software. so i do. and it still does the same f#$%ing thing. im soooo pissed. i have to leave it plugged into the friggin power point if i want to listen to the dam thing......
After a while batteries die. Sounds like you need yours replaced.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Another brilliant reason to avoid ipods. Mine is a paperweight too now.....after it had been warrantied 3 times. ipod= POS.

Go the iriver, never skipped a beat even after I landed on it in a fairly heavy stack.

Caine

Likes Dirt
my freinds sister's nano screen broke aswell after only one which (she got it for her birthday)

i say go the Irivers OR the Sony W800i(mobile phone with upto 4 gig memory cards) i got one and its fantastic :D

Note: please look at these pictures for a following explanation of the Ipod

Also a picture of the Sony W800i

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you got fed a line cE. Apple have aknowlaged there are some nanos with defective screens, and are replacing those units.

mtbmaniac

Likes Bikes
lol i made the decision to buy a Creative thing then just get my mate to add sum memory to it it started off as 5 gigs now is like 25... i think.

p.s. Dont buy Apple they look stylish but they just a fad either wait till that movie one comes or buy a better quality one with more memory.

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
Caine said:
my freinds sister's nano screen broke aswell after only one which (she got it for her birthday)

i say go the Irivers OR the Sony W800i(mobile phone with upto 4 gig memory cards) i got one and its fantastic :D
haha Awesome, I love a bit of iPod bashing :)

One thing I have to say: FUCK DRM, buy anything but an iPod

Caine

Likes Dirt
Rofl that Ipod thing actully made me LOL

i thought u said F*** DMR i was about to kill you. lucky i read it agian :eek:

Speshul K

Likes Dirt
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27143
Apple sued over iPod Nano scratching

And Equal Opportunities Commission pursues separate case

By INQUIRER staff: Sunday 23 October 2005, 08:00
A CLASS ACTION started against Apple on the 19th October in a San Jose district court, alleging that the firm released iPod Nanos which easily scratch.

An article in Betanews noticed the action started a few days ago and we have tracked down the filing.

Jason Tomczak kicked off the class action and alleges that because the iPod Nano was defectively designed, the screen on the machines was unreadable and breached state consumer protection statutes.

The plaintiff alleges that although Apple knew there were problems with the design of the Nano, it did not recall the machines but allowed members to buy them and "passed the expense, hassle and frustration of replacing the defectively designed Nanos along to class members".

The filing alleges that Steve Jobs appeared in a TV ad shown removing an iPod nano from his pocket and the plaintiff alleges that means Apple led consumers to believe the machine was durable. But, claims the filing, the Nano screen scratches even when used in its normal manner.

The filing alleges that when Apple designed the Nano, the resin used was not as thick and strong as in previous iPods. The plaintiff alleges that even though Apple knew this before release, "fierce competition on the digital music industry" caused it to release the product anyway.

The filing quotes a number of articles in both The Wall Street Journal and Macworld to substantiate its allegations.

The filing concludes by demanding damages from Apple. µ

* APPLE is also being sued by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The case was filed 30 September 2005. But the judge in the case, John F. Walker, signed an order last week demanding that Apple had to reply to a subpoena served no later than 24th of October after it failed to respond to the original subpoena.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
hmm well this thread pretty much sums it up for me.
I've decided not to get a nano anymore lol. :eek:
i was always doubtful of thin screens.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
AHAHAHAHA, serves you right for buying an Ipod in the first place. They have been plagued since they were first released and allways will be. Why? cause apple has never had prior knowledge in these type's of devices. And they have been designed to fail, anyone selling them will know that.

Caine

Likes Dirt
Wattsy said:
AHAHAHAHA, serves you right for buying an Ipod in the first place. They have been plagued since they were first released and allways will be. Why? cause apple has never had prior knowledge in these type's of devices. And they have been designed to fail, anyone selling them will know that.
Where on the same page wattsy!!

i don't get why people like ipods they brake, they DONT look good and there shocking to use irivers are the best and always will be!

Tailus

Likes Bikes
I've owned my ipod for two years now and dropped it on concrete from a decent height several times and it's fine. Unbelieveably well built little player. Maybe I got lucky.