Narby

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks Nautonier,

I really feel for what is happening in this sport. There are great things in the pipeline, but we need to be heard.

Rich
It's very disappointing when you compare the situation to what is happening in other countries like NZ, where new MTB tracks (and MTB parks) are being built every year (with a much smaller population). At the moment it seems like we are losing tracks at a faster rate than new ones are being created. Sure, people are building 'secret' trails here and there reasonably frequently (just to have somewhere to ride), but it would be nice to see more 'official' places on offer considering the massive number of people who participate in the sport and the positive benefits to health and the industry.

Massive kudos to those who are lobbying tirelessly to rectify the situation, I wonder if there is anything else the rest of us can do other than calling/emailing and not riding the tracks that are closed.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Good on you for actually calling them Rich, I will be doing the same.
Guys, when we make contact with the relevant authorities, all we're doing is voicing that there is a problem and forcing the relevant authorities to take action. If we don't also provide the authorities with a workable plan that solves the problem then they *will* shut trail. In other words, complain all we like but we need to be part of the solution, not the cause of the problem.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's very disappointing when you compare the situation to what is happening in other countries like NZ, where new MTB tracks (and MTB parks) are being built every year (with a much smaller population).
Might be worth having a read of this for some insight into NZ. Things didn't happen overnight there either, we are just seeing the results of 20 years of work and lobbying from the local MTB community.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/why-every-mountain-biker-should-visit-rotorua-2015.html

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Guys, when we make contact with the relevant authorities, all we're doing is voicing that there is a problem and forcing the relevant authorities to take action. If we don't also provide the authorities with a workable plan that solves the problem then they *will* shut trail. In other words, complain all we like but we need to be part of the solution, not the cause of the problem.
The only voicing I was doing is that of a rider, ride Narby, and I am one of those people who stand and be counted. Not saying anything is worse than saying something. Not everyone is a word smith nor will they be able to communicate verbally what they feel in their heart, but a single voice is louder than no voice alone.

Rich

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Might be worth having a read of this for some insight into NZ. Things didn't happen overnight there either, we are just seeing the results of 20 years of work and lobbying from the local MTB community.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/why-every-mountain-biker-should-visit-rotorua-2015.html
Well yeah, but from what I've heard, this happened pretty quickly with no major opposition:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/65267052/Port-Hills-bike-park-gets-go-ahead

I've ridden in McVicars forrest and it's already amazing with what the locals have built, so one can only imagine how awesome the bike park will be.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The only voicing I was doing is that of a rider, ride Narby, and I am one of those people who stand and be counted. Not saying anything is worse than saying something. Not everyone is a word smith nor will they be able to communicate verbally what they feel in their heart, but a single voice is louder than no voice alone.

Rich
Totally agree with you Rich, if nobody contacts them they might just think the track isn't used that much and closing it due to the slight danger of road crossings is the best option. Surely if they realise that it's a track much ridden and much loved by all kinds of riders (not just downhillers), they will reassess the situation. Every call to them is evidence that the trail is a happening thing, perhaps just not over winter when it's an ice-skating rink.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Agreed Rich, I called today too to add a voice of concern. I also spoke to someone with regards to the road crossings as mentioned earlier by Wisey. If this is indeed the reason for the proposed closures, there is a relatively simple way around this via re routing.. let's see if this exposes another agenda or not. time will tell.

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Please see below an email I received today.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your email. DELWP staff and the president of the Fat Tyre Flyers, Shane Currie, have met up this morning to discuss some of the risks and maintenance to the Narbethong track and we feel working together we can keep the track open for use in the future. Please be patient as works will be undertaken as soon as possible, the signs may then be removed.

Appreciate your input. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Karen L Brown | Forest Stewardship Manager|Murrindindi
Regional Services | Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning
1683 Healesville - Kinglake road, Toolangi, Victoria. 3777
T: 03 59 62 0228 | M: 0459 068 592 | E: karen.l.brown@delwp.vic.gov.au

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Please see below an email I received today.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your email. DELWP staff and the president of the Fat Tyre Flyers, Shane Currie, have met up this morning to discuss some of the risks and maintenance to the Narbethong track and we feel working together we can keep the track open for use in the future. Please be patient as works will be undertaken as soon as possible, the signs may then be removed.

Appreciate your input. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Karen L Brown | Forest Stewardship Manager|Murrindindi
Regional Services | Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning
1683 Healesville - Kinglake road, Toolangi, Victoria. 3777
T: 03 59 62 0228 | M: 0459 068 592 | E: karen.l.brown@delwp.vic.gov.au

Absolutely awesome result!

slowmick

38-39"
thank you very much Shane Currie of the Fat Tyre Flyers and the DELWP for working towards keeping the track open. much happiness.:llama:

By JH over in FB land. All very positive indeed.

"Ok so FTFDH had a meeting with DELWP on Monday. Things are looking very positive for the tracks at Narby and Granton. We still have a little more work to do with DELWP, but overall they are very supportive. We would ask that no one does any work on the tracks or adds any additional sections/obstacles. We also ask that you not ride the tracks until further notice. This will help to strengthen the relationship between DELWP, FTFDH and the downhill community as a whole."

Hopefully we can avoid a repeat of the f#$kwittery that's gone on by a number of riders over at Warby. Likewise any self-serving meddling.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Rode Narby for the first time yesterday.
4 of us shuttling, an SRAM van with a trailer, and a Dad with 2 kids riding up for one run.

At one point there was a group of old people WALKING DOWN THE TRAIL.
They complained at us for not yelling out, even though we didn't see them until we came around a corner and almost went off a drop onto one of those fast, wide sections.
Walking down a known DH MTB track, and still have the nerve to bitch and moan. Farken old people, man. :yell:
One of them freaked out and jumped right, threw her walking poles left, then scattered to pick up her poles, even though we'd already braked and practically stopped, haha.

Great track though and I'm glad it has remained open.
Awesome day, despite getting my front caught in a rut on one run, my bike going left into a tree, and me going right for a penguin slide down the track. :help:
Glad the dirt out there is nice and soft, that's for sure.

It's certainly a fine substitute for Warby while we wait for things to happen over there (which is looking positive for all but Lala).

Could use a little love, but we still had a great time out there.
Felt good being on the big bike again! You really forget how capable those things are when the going gets rough.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats great news the track . Iv been so keen to to come down from NSW and ride it for many years . Can anyone give me a 4/5 day epic "DH " must do in VIC/ Thredbo

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where are you guys getting the news?

Nothing on FTF website, nothing on ftf facebook, nothing in the Vic watering hole or this thread in fact!
Surely more than 4 people would have headed out yesterday to show their support had they known the track would be open again...

jarrod839

Banned
Where are you guys getting the news?

Nothing on FTF website, nothing on ftf facebook, nothing in the Vic watering hole or this thread in fact!
Surely more than 4 people would have headed out yesterday to show their support had they known the track would be open again...
yeah keen to know also where its being listed that its open again. As super keen to ride narby.
By the sounds of things if the track needed some love it looks like the new works haven't been carried out yet.

Did you guys still cross over the road in parts.

Ideate

Did you guys still cross over the road in parts.
Yes, how else are you suppose to get down? There wasn't any evidence of recent works. There were a few tape ribbons on the side of the road, approaching the road crossings in the car.

There were a few people riding there Sunday. 4 of us plus 10ish from SRAM plus a family of 3 (not to mention the group of grannies walking down the track with their ski poles).

jarrod839

Banned
Sounds like the new works haven't been carried out yet.

If u back track through this thread u will read that narby is closed till further notice due to some safety concerns. Ie.road crossings.

There are some good people doing hard work in there spare time assuring that places like narby and warby remain open.

Until an official statement has been made by someone involved with the track please don't ride there.

I'm itching to ride there aswel but if it means doing my part in not riding there that helps.

Plenty of shuttles and other places to ride every weekend.

Ideate

There were no signs about closures etc (not like Warby - they're all over the place). The only sign I saw was "Caution - this is a DH track"... so it felt open to me despite the apparent proposed closure and information from page 1 of this thread.