Narby

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Sounds like the new works haven't been carried out yet.

If u back track through this thread u will read that narby is closed till further notice due to some safety concerns. Ie.road crossings.

There are some good people doing hard work in there spare time assuring that places like narby and warby remain open.

Until an official statement has been made by someone involved with the track please don't ride there.

I'm itching to ride there aswel but if it means doing my part in not riding there that helps.

Plenty of shuttles and other places to ride every weekend.
If they don't want people to ride there, the signage shouldn't have been removed... or at least replaced with more appropriate signage.
But as it stands, there's nothing... and I've not seen anywhere openly stating the track is currently closed since the signs have been removed.

Surely a bright red SRAM branded bus with trailer and handful of riders wouldn't be there if the track was openly known to be closed, either.

As it stands, with such a lengthy shuttle road, and only the two vehicles shuttling yesterday, there was never any risk or threat at the two road crossings.
They could be marked and signed though, so drivers can be actively cautious when approaching them.

I'm sure we all respect our fellow riders enough to not be reckless dickheads when shuttling, and clear markings at the road crossings will only make things better for all involved.

And for the record... from the FTF Facebook page on Oct 3rd.

Fat Tyre Flyers DH MTB Club
October 3 · Edited ·

As many of you may be aware FTFDH had a meeting with DELWP last week. Things are looking very positive for the tracks at Narby and Granton. We still have a little more work to do with DELWP, but overall they are very supportive.
During this time, we would ask that no one does any work on the tracks or adds any additional sections/obstacles, this includes the use of chainsaws to remove fallen trees. If you come across fallen trees, please inform FTFDH and we will organise their removal as soon as we can. This is to ensure that we comply with DELWP wishes and don't compromise the future of these tracks. We also ask that if you are riding the tracks, you slow down and take care at the road crossings until these can be modified. This will help to strengthen the relationship between DELWP, FTFDH and the downhill community as a whole.

Last edited:

jarrod839

Banned
Keyword being 'proposed' closure so technically is still rideable. Just be very cautious at road crossings.
technically you can still ride warby if u want too just as many halfwits are. It is and will only make things harder for the people which are doing the right thing and working hard on acceptable and long term solutions.

jarrod839

Banned
There were no signs about closures etc (not like Warby - they're all over the place). The only sign I saw was "Caution - this is a DH track"... so it felt open to me despite the apparent proposed closure and information from page 1 of this thread.
please read the statement issued from ftf on Facebook at the top of page 4.

Ideate

Link? How are people without Facebook suppose to read these statements by the way? Are they posted somewhere else?

jarrod839

Banned
If they don't want people to ride there, the signage shouldn't have been removed... or at least replaced with more appropriate signage.
But as it stands, there's nothing... and I've not seen anywhere openly stating the track is currently closed since the signs have been removed.

Surely a bright red SRAM branded bus with trailer and handful of riders wouldn't be there if the track was openly known to be closed, either.

As it stands, with such a lengthy shuttle road, and only the two vehicles shuttling yesterday, there was never any risk or threat at the two road crossings.
They could be marked and signed though, so drivers can be actively cautious when approaching them.

I'm sure we all respect our fellow riders enough to not be reckless dickheads when shuttling, and clear markings at the road crossings will only make things better for all involved.

And for the record... from the FTF Facebook page on Oct 3rd.

Fat Tyre Flyers DH MTB Club
October 3 · Edited ·

As many of you may be aware FTFDH had a meeting with DELWP last week. Things are looking very positive for the tracks at Narby and Granton. We still have a little more work to do with DELWP, but overall they are very supportive.
During this time, we would ask that no one does any work on the tracks or adds any additional sections/obstacles, this includes the use of chainsaws to remove fallen trees. If you come across fallen trees, please inform FTFDH and we will organise their removal as soon as we can. This is to ensure that we comply with DELWP wishes and don't compromise the future of these tracks. We also ask that if you are riding the tracks, you slow down and take care at the road crossings until these can be modified. This will help to strengthen the relationship between DELWP, FTFDH and the downhill community as a whole.
There probably has been the appropriate signage erected there but halfwits will pull down or remove any evidence of track closure so they can continue to ride there legally.

You can clearly read in this thread that narby is not in a good position at the moment so do the right thing and please not ride there till FTFDH release a statement that it is safe to do so and stop finding or making excuses to ride there.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
There probably has been the appropriate signage erected there but halfwits will pull down or remove any evidence of track closure so they can continue to ride there legally.

You can clearly read in this thread that narby is not in a good position at the moment so do the right thing and please not ride there till FTFDH release a statement that it is safe to do so and stop finding or making excuses to ride there.
I just posted a statement from FTF from Oct 3 - newer than anything in this thread before my post this morning... clearly implying that it's fine to ride just be careful at the road crossings until they're modified...

Ideate

You said it!

So much blahhh.. Warby is clearly a hazard at the moment and is the focus of all this drama so yes, don't ride there.. but no one's making excuses to ride at Narby. If it's closed, it's closed.. and it's not so we'll continue to heed word from your official FTFDH and.. take care at the road crossings.

jarrod839

Banned
I just posted a statement from FTF from Oct 3 - newer than anything in this thread before my post this morning... clearly implying that it's fine to ride just be careful at the road crossings until they're modified...
If you want to continue riding there then thats your decision but it just shows how inconsiderate you and others are towards respecting our local trails and mtb community.
If narby for some reason does get closed permanently i will at least know that i was at least one of the many riders who love narby did the right thing and helped out in one way to keep the track open and not one of the many halfwits that tend to fuck things for the rest of us.

Ideate

If you want to continue riding there then thats your decision but it just shows how inconsiderate you and others are towards respecting our local trails and mtb community.
If narby for some reason does get closed permanently i will at least know that i was at least one of the many riders who love narby did the right thing and helped out in one way to keep the track open and not one of the many halfwits that tend to fuck things for the rest of us.
We're far from inconsiderate... and WOW.. you're so helpful for not riding there. You're doing so much for the cause.

You're painting the wrong picture here. The wrong thing is to put your bike down and wait for someone to fix it while it becomes overgrown and forgotten (we did a bit of cleaning and clearing while we were there). The right thing is to...

...slow down and take care at the road crossings until these can be modified[/I][/U]. This will help to strengthen the relationship between DELWP, FTFDH and the downhill community as a whole.
Show some respect, be extra vigilant and talk to the locals and show them how great it is.. and how wonderful and respectful we as the MTB community are. That'd spark some action into me if I worked for DELWP to get those road crossings formally fixed. Not sitting at home on my computer having a whinge because I'm stuck at home on my computer having a whinge... and if you continue to be soooOOOooo worried about the possible permanent closure, then consider doing something other than absolutely nothing.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Are you even reading anything?!
Like how have you not got it yet?
You seem so in a hurry to huff and puff, without taking the time to understand and think logically.

It is fine to ride as long as no track modifications are made, and riders are careful at the road crossings.

The FTF statement from Oct 3rd [note: NEWER THAN ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD BEFORE TODAY] CLEARLY SAYS THIS.

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

after hearing about all of the riding happening at Narby, I decided to email Karen from Parks who has been looking after the Narby project since it was flagged for potential closure. In her latest email which I have unfortunately deleted, she explicitly explains that the track is still CLOSED and anyone should refrain from riding there. She also said that the FTF are the ones that will announce the reopening of the track when the appropriate work is completed.
This is really frustrating as I love riding there, but do not want to add to the confusion. Anyway, I have been travelling 10minutes further down the road and have been hitting up Granton. Sensational track with heaps of speed and tech.

Cheers,

Rich

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

after hearing about all of the riding happening at Narby, I decided to email Karen from Parks who has been looking after the Narby project since it was flagged for potential closure. In her latest email which I have unfortunately deleted, she explicitly explains that the track is still CLOSED and anyone should refrain from riding there. She also said that the FTF are the ones that will announce the reopening of the track when the appropriate work is completed.
This is really frustrating as I love riding there, but do not want to add to the confusion. Anyway, I have been travelling 10minutes further down the road and have been hitting up Granton. Sensational track with heaps of speed and tech.

Cheers,

Rich
Thanks Rich