National Ride to Work Day

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I ride to work every Friday (casual day) but the rest of the week is a bit of a hassle as I work in an industrial area and it's not just a simple walk to the shops at lunch time (ie. getting changed at lunch time is a hassle and I'm lazy).

So you got the T-Shirt Rhys? I want to win that Trek Hybrid so I can get the 7spd Nexus hub and put it in one of our DH frame designs :p

Dug

Likes Dirt
So I gotta register to ride to work now.... I'll take the car for a change.....:rolleyes:

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
Yep, am doing it. Don't ride to work very often, but like to at least go in on RTW day. May use the punt (here in Melbourne) between Newport & Port Melb.

Matt

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Should we have all registered our employer as Farkin? The challenge will be to get Adam Spencer to mention Farkin on 702.

I'll be there, I've registered but didn't get a T'shirt...

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
typically, i'm not working tomorrow
but will be going for a ride
and will be driving to where i'll be riding

what should i do?!?!

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Who was down Miller Point getting the free feed?

I was there (and have an "urgent" stamp on my arm to prove it) and was two tickets away from winning the Trek... The coffee was reasonable and my bag's full of fruit for lunch. The city streets thereafter were full of shit-scared non-commuters...

scblack

Leucocholic
Who was down Miller Point getting the free feed?

I was there (and have an "urgent" stamp on my arm to prove it) and was two tickets away from winning the Trek... The coffee was reasonable and my bag's full of fruit for lunch. The city streets thereafter were full of shit-scared non-commuters...
I got my free breakfast - pretty good one too - I gutsed myself and am over-ful.

As I said in the other thread on this I was the only one there not in roadie lycra, and the only STP.:cool:

I cheated and rode from work to breakfast.

oldbean

NSWMTB
We had a great breakfast at work for all those who rode. Of course being a sponsor for the event was a bit of an incentive!

Even so, out of 20 people here, only 2 people didn't ride in. There were a few people who rode to work for the first time too! And it left them saying, "That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'll definately be doing it more often now." Which is exactly the point of the whole thing.

I hope those of you that also rode to work are able to use this event to encourage workmates to try it too. Yes, traffic can be intimidating, but get out and encourage them and give them some tips and it will benefit everyone. You never know, once they try commuting, they may also want to try MTBing! That's where the real fun starts!

DW-1

Dirt Works
21 out of 23

We had 21 out of 23 employees ride in. (we also had two "significant others" ride in for the BBQ brekky... so I guess that makes 23 from 25)

Of the two actual staff that didn't... one has never ridden a bike. (but is up for it next year) And the other one had an early morning trip to the hospital. (but usually rides in)

Two staff rode from Blackheath to Blacktown (approx' 98klm).

Three others rode from their respective homes past work, and out to Penrith to meet up with the Blue Mountains crew, then back in again. (giving them 70+ klms each)

For the bulk of the staff, the run was:
Great Western Hwy to
M4 motorway to
M7 cycleway to
Sunnyholt road to
Dirt Works.

Total klms ridden: 1,453

We then had a (big) staff BBQ breakfast for all. (followed by a fight for the shower)

Elvis.

Last edited:
I rode to work today, but unplanned.
Went on a 2 hour ride around Daisy Hill forest this morning with the guys, just like I do every Wednesday, and then rode the extra 3km's to work.

Lucky coincidence ride to work day was today. I might ride to work tomorrow too, just for a bit of emphasis, but it's such a short distance I usually run instead of ride.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
For the bulk of the staff, the run was:
Great Western Hwy to
M4 motorway to
M7 cycleway to
Sunnyholt road to
Dirt Works.

Total klms ridden: 1,453
That seems a long way for a morning commute. Does that make the daily commute about 2900 km?

DW-1

Dirt Works
That seems a long way for a morning commute. Does that make the daily commute about 2900 km?
not quite. There were quite a few staff that took the opportunity to have a "big day". (inc' three that are training for the Alpine Classic)

Except Pat... who after finishing 8th in Solo men at the Scott, decided to have an easy day... (63 klms)

Elvis.

ja_har

Likes Dirt
Contrarian

After three months commuting every day, today was the first day I didn't. Had to work from the Melb office instead of the usual Sydney so the commute suddenly turned into approx 2000km return instead of the usual 15, just out of my league for the day...:D

Last edited:

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
We're growing...

Cycle commuters a larger tiny minorityCatharine Munro Urban Affairs Editor
October 26, 2007

MORE and more Sydney workers are using bicycles and motor scooters to get to work.

Census figures released yesterday show that the number of people who cycle to work has risen by 18 per cent. The number of scooter and motorbike riders rose by 27 per cent.

But the figures are still tiny compared with how many drove to work by car, the most popular way of getting around.

While there were 10,886 bike riders and 9062 on motorised two-wheelers, 1.2 million Sydney residents used their car to get to work.

The increase may be due to petrol prices and awareness about climate change, said Professor Stuart White of the Institute for Sustainable Futures.

"It's possibly due to petrol cost, but the size of it is a direct reflection of the lack of appropriate facilities," he said. "It's problematic that there's so little invested in cycleways relative to motor vehicles."

The increase was still sharp enough to affect the breakdown of commuting styles, with the number of cyclists rising as a proportion of all work travellers to 0.6 per cent in 2006 from 0.4 per cent in 2001. Car, train and bus patronage remained relatively stable as a proportion of overall transport methods.

The former Roads and Traffic Authority director, Ken Dobinson, said the figures for bicycle use showed there was potential for more people to switch.

"If you do the right thing, more people will cycle if they can," Mr Dobinson said.

New bicycle tracks should be built away from arterial roads because it was cheaper, he said. Bike lanes that expanded arterial roads had to be strong enough to carry trucks.