Near Miss this morning - An observation of perception and bias

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
This morning I was on the footpath waiting for a set of lights to change.
I was off the bike, waiting for the little green walk man so I could walk across.

“Bing! Tock tock tock’ the little green man goes.
I step out onto the road and get two steps in when this lady in a jeep Cherokee doing about 70 goes flying through the red light and almost takes me and three other people out.
One of the ladies screamed and said “I felt the air go past my face”! in shock.
Had I been pushing a pram, or in an electric wheelchair there would have been no way you could have avoided a collision.

I jumped back on the bike and sprinted my guts out 400 metres down the road where I caught her at a red light.
I pulled up next to her, and politely (although a little red in the face from the big sprint) I said through her wound down window “Hello, I’m not sure if you’re aware, but you just drove through that red light back there, through a crossing and almost took out myself and several other pedestrians”.
I was polite, and maybe even a little sickly sweet I was being so sugary nice about it, and you know what she says? She gives me a venomous glare and spits out an angry “That’s Bullshit”!

I replied “Well, no. But anyway, I just wanted to let you know in case you weren’t aware. That’s all”

To which she replies (and this is the bit that leaves me agog because I wasn't even on the bike at the time she nearly ran me over) “You shouldn’t even be on the f&cken road on that bike, you don’t pay rego”! and then as she gave me the finger and went to drive off in a huff she stalled her car trying to do the big getaway haha.
The driver behind her smiled at me and gave me the thumbs up as he had obviously seen her run the red light and caught up to her as well and heard the conversation.

Now this is the bit I am still scratching my head at, the funny thing is that the near accident had nothing to do with me being on a bike, I wasn’t even on the bike at the time!
I was walking it across the crossing, on foot after having a tinker with my front derailleur as I waiting for the lights to change! There was no bike in the equation.

I just couldn’t believe it.
This leaves me to assume that she was completely blinded to the actual gravity and reality of the situation by 'the bike'.
She sees bike, she hates.
Even though I was foot traffic at the time of the near collision!
She was a great sweaty pig of a woman. Looked just like Gina Reinhardt with short skunk haircut, deep hard sneer lines going down from the sides of her mouth from years of practice at being horrible, and cheap Asian knock-off black and gold Gucci style sunnies.

It just goes to show how deep some peoples bias' will actually sway or drive an opinion or be used to justify a behaviour.
At the time I wasn't a cyclist. I was a guy on gfoot pushing a bike. How is that different to pushing a pram, or pushing a wheelchair, or a shopping cart?

Now, I am not trying to start a drivers VS cyclist thread. Or a 'war on our roads' thread, because this had nothing to do with cyclist vs drivers and battling for space on the road, or any of those things, it just goes to show that some people will simply be blinded by their hate of something so much that they actually don't see the real thing, and unfortunately cyclists are hated by a few, which makes them invisible, or justifiably injured.

Ride safe.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
You are overthinking it.

She is a moron.

Should have got her rego, with your word and other witnesses she could have been charged.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
You are overthinking it.

She is a moron.

Should have got her rego, with your word and other witnesses she could have been charged.
Yeah, I got rego. Never thought of stopping and conversing with the other pedestrians to get her charged. I just went into 'Chase that bitch down and let her know how close she came to killing us" mode.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
I'll do that next time.

In fact, I will go to the same intersection at the same time tomorrow and see if the same poeple are at the lights and see how they feel about lodging it with me.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Tangent - lately I have noticed that women seem to be driving in a more aggressive/risky/reckless manner more often attributed to young men.

I see some one caning through a roundabout, tail-gating really aggressively, ripping through traffic changing lanes highly ambitiously, flooring it at the lights and speeding in general - I usually think to myself "that's going to be a young, 20 something bloke with a dumb haircut".

I'm surprised at how recently it's turned out to be a woman of varying age and visual character.

This is not a complaint, more an observation. I do not have a stellar driving record and am not in a position to judge anyone else.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Yeah, I got rego. Never thought of stopping and conversing with the other pedestrians to get her charged. I just went into 'Chase that bitch down and let her know how close she came to killing us" mode.
Hindsight is always 20/20.
I'll do that next time.

In fact, I will go to the same intersection at the same time tomorrow and see if the same poeple are at the lights and see how they feel about lodging it with me.
Great idea. The cops are often very happy to pursue these things if it is handed to them on a plate. 2 or 3 corroborating statements and she is toast.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No no, she was speeding and did a burnout at the next set of lights......and the car had an aftermarket exhaust.

Oh and phone A Current Affair.
And when I attempted to mediate with her she road raged me. With a coward punch. She'll have the SWAT team kicking down her door in no time.

moorey

call me Mia
Another tangent. Witnessed a moron 'cyclist':

I was in the cop shop Tuesday, reporting dumped rubbish in the bush on out bike trail (addressed mail dumped also). Guy in front to me was black (sorta relevant, work with me), had a few bandages on his arm.
Was complaining that a car came into a roundabout while he was in there, and went do close to him it pushed him into the gutter and he went over the bars. Driver had stopped, helped him, took him to the outpatients and then drove him and bike home.

So, he comes down to the station wanting them charged. Officer listens to story patiently:
What time did this occur? 6.10am (pitch dark)
Lights or flasher on bike? Nope
Helmet on? Nope
Bright clothing/hi-vis? Nope, very dark clothing and as mentioned, dude was black.

Cop mentions all this to him, doesn't defend the driver, but tries to advocate and explains the things that the rider could/should do.
His defence is that there is some street lighting. Its a road I ride every day, lights are widely spaced in some areas, non existent in others.

No idea what did/will happen, its rarely I defend drivers, but muppets like this give us all a bad name.

Glad you're OK Harmonix. Next time, kick in her mirror for us all.:thumb:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Given he didn't have a light he doesn't have a leg to stand on, does he?
Nope. Not a leg.

I did some research on this after a cop in NSW pulled me over for having slick tyres on my bike and said that they were illegal.

My research revealed the the madatory requirements that a bicycle meet mechanically are

a) A working light front and rear 'when riding in the dark / night or morning, or in fog'
b) A minimum or one functional braking mechanisim
c) a Bell, horn, or sound emitting device

Funnily, nothing about reflectors. Apparently shops have to sell bikes with reflectors, but there is no law that says you need to use them. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, this dude had no lights and was riding in the dark with no helmet. That's two wrongs. If it was a brakeless fixie with no bell that's all of the compulsories left out.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
No idea on the bell or brakes. Dude didn't have a beard, tats or a Barista qual, so I'm guessing it wasn't a brakeless fixie :noidea:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah Harmonix, your list is pretty much it.
Plus:
The front light has to be white and visible at least 200m away during darkness or hard to see weather.
The rear light has to be red and visible at least 200m away during darkness or hard to see weather.
You also need a rear red reflector in darkness/hard to see weather, and it has to be visible up to 50m away when shone by a car's headlights.

That's from the QLD road rules though.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Yeah Harmonix, your list is pretty much it.
Plus:
The front light has to be white and visible at least 200m away during darkness or hard to see weather.
The rear light has to be red and visible at least 200m away during darkness or hard to see weather.
You also need a rear red reflector in darkness/hard to see weather, and it has to be visible up to 50m away when shone by a car's headlights.

That's from the QLD road rules though.
Right, cool. Thanks for that.
So I don't have a reflector on my bike, but I do ride with a backpack that has a massive (5 inch wide 12 inch long) strip of silver super reflective material I nabbed of a safety vest. Cut off the strip and safety pinned it to the bag onlong the whole back of it.
I wonder if that counts?

Nope. Not a leg.

I did some research on this after a cop in NSW pulled me over for having slick tyres on my bike and said that they were illegal.

My research revealed the the madatory requirements that a bicycle meet mechanically are

a) A working light front and rear 'when riding in the dark / night or morning, or in fog'
b) A minimum or one functional braking mechanisim
c) a Bell, horn, or sound emitting device

Funnily, nothing about reflectors. Apparently shops have to sell bikes with reflectors, but there is no law that says you need to use them. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, this dude had no lights and was riding in the dark with no helmet. That's two wrongs. If it was a brakeless fixie with no bell that's all of the compulsories left out.

so I DON'T have to have this friggen basket on my bike !!!

scblack

Leucocholic
Right, cool. Thanks for that.
So I don't have a reflector on my bike, but I do ride with a backpack that has a massive (5 inch wide 12 inch long) strip of silver super reflective material I nabbed of a safety vest. Cut off the strip and safety pinned it to the bag onlong the whole back of it.
I wonder if that counts?
That reminds me, so often I see guys riding with dayglo yellow/orange shirts etc, but on the back a Large Black backpack so from behind they are simply black. They're just begging to be hit.