Neck braces

S.

ex offender
omg stop the arguing obviously some people myself included dont like the idea of it (is that so wrong) yet others think its a miracle so why try argue your point, i think its a waste of money but does that mean it is a waste of money..no sure it may help reduce neck injuries but its up to the rider if he wants it so stop arguing over nothing jeez
We're discussing the merits of a bike-related product, in case you hadn't noticed that's kind of the whole reason these forums exist. Don't read it if you don't care.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I just can't quite take to them. I wear full armour most of the time, but the neck brace, to me, seems like overkill. Granted I'm no lightning quick racer, but no slouch either. It's a pretty expensive (overpriced) singular piece of equipment, and yes obviously you'd rather pay whatever than be a quadraplegic, but i don't see what they would do seriously except for maybe help reduce a little whiplash here or there. If you had a serious crash I don't think a neck brace would be the difference between say a broken neck, spinal compression etc or not. So 600 odd dollars to possibly lessen a bit of whiplash here or there? i don't think so. I've had a couple of slams on the chest/chin where the front wheel washes out over the top of a berm and i've gone down hard, and the chest plate (and obviously full face helmet) was what i was glad to be wearing. and actually, if i was wearing a neck brace at those times, i may well have ended up with a fractured sternum as you hear a bit about. Also, if the rearward movement of my head was restricted, would that increase the severity of the impact on the chin? To me they're something you might wear if you're going hell for leather and wanting to wear every piece of protection you can get your hands on, but to be honest i don't understand why people wear them as their sole piece of armour. There's a far greater chance of taking some sreious bark off your arms or other incidents where body armour would save some nasty abrasions or more, just seems like far more of a priority to cover your arms/legs than wear a neck brace. To me.

Stax

Squid
Experience based opinion

Merc-blue

Wow what a debate. Great points from everybody.

A few years ago I had a very small as crash on a mini moto and ended up chin first into the ground wearing a full face helmet forcing my head backwards. I have been seeing a chiropractor since pretty much monthly, $45 per visit per month over the past 3 to 4 years. Kinda wish I had one on. Having said that I still don't own one, perhaps thats just because I'm a dumb ass.

At the end of the day if you think you might feel safer wearing one, chances are you might enjoy your ride a little more, so it can't hurt having one.

Thats my piece.

Hope everyones having fun shredding this summer. Thats what it's all about after all

woody 14

Eats Squid
i have a leatt moto GPX and the other day i went over the bars in a rock garden and i actully felt the front of my helmet hit and be stopped by the brace. so i always were mine now coz i hate to think about what if i wasnt wereing one.

RMS116

Likes Dirt
I've been looking at the omega just because its cheaper, has heaps of adjustability and disperses shock and pressure down through large chest and back muscles rather than the spine. Theres heaps to pick from theres a TLD nb, a 661 nb, omega, leatt, alpinestars and evs.