Need a new SS 29er frame to repalce broken Unit

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
Found some cracks in my Kona Unit 29er frame so need to repalce it (2006 frame and I am the 2nd owner). Mostly use it for XC and the odd endurance race, around sydney which is rocky and sandy and fairly steep. The current build is good (hope hubs - Stans arch rims, Reba fork, LX cranks) so just need the frame.

Options I am considering

* On-one Scandal (Pros - Cheap, light, good reviews. Cons - my mate has one and I feel like a dork riding matching bikes)
* Yeti Big Top (Pros - Its a Yeti, I already have a 575, bling. Cons - Not so light, Tapered HT (need reducer headset), expensive, carbon)
* Salsa Selma (Pros - light, looks good, its a Sals. Cons - EBB (would prefer sliding drops llike unit)
* Niner one 9 (Pros - light, good reviews, looks good. Cons - EBB)

What does everyone think? I am looking for something light so am not inderested in steel (Kona Unit was too heavy anyway). So thinking scandium or Alloy (Titanium and carbon are most likely out of my price range) but would like something a little boutique (shallow I know). The on-one looks good and the price is hard to beat (under $500) but my mate has one and I feel like an idiot riding matching bikes.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it was me, out of your choices I would go with the Selma or the One9, in that order.

I rode the Scandal and it just felt dead to me.
I had the Mamasita which is the geared version of the Selma and loved that bike.
The Air9 was OK (geared version of the One9) but again I felt it was a little dead.

Also, check your PM's.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
There is a Carbon Scandal coming out very soon - check the website.

Last edited:

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
selmas are not made anymore. A few around online in really big and really small sizes is all there is.

Big tops are $1850. What's the budget.

Scandals are cool. I have an inbred, good bikes. Horizondal dropouts are a bit pooh.

Niner ebb works goodly, well, it better since I just paid for one.

For my money, I would get a niner emd9 and a forward components ebb, or a WI eno hub. I think the retail on them is like $700 since the importer has adjusted the price to the exchange rate.

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
What's the budget.
Well I would like to keep it under $1000. Thing is a Scandal is on-one AU$445 plus delivery from the AU importer and that is cheap whichever way you look at it.

Niner one 9 is $1170 from AU distributor so that is getting close but is it 3 times the bike that a Scandal is?

Carbon Scandal is coming but not due till April I think and I can't wait that long.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
AU$445 ... cheap whichever way you look at it
yep

Niner one 9 is $1170 from AU distributor so that is getting close but is it 3 times the bike that a Scandal is?
yep

both are great frames. the niner is in a different league. by '3 times the bike' they are still both alloy hardtails, but the niner is stiffer, has better geo, more cumfy, and 250g lighter including the ebb, which is a better tensioning system than track ends, which are a PITA. That said, $1170 is a shedload for an alloy hardtail frame, albeit the best (in my opinion and experiene) 29in alloy hardtail there is.

I still reckon the emd9 with a forward components ebb would be where the sweet spot is (for me, and perhaps for you, but I get spend-happy in bike shops).

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
I am not sure about the weight or geometry difference....

Head angle seat angle top tube chain stay head tube standover weight
Niner one 9 - Medium 72 73 603 440 100 728 1540
On-one Scandal - Medium 72 73 602 444 105 784 1588

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am not sure about the weight or geometry difference....

Head angle seat angle top tube chain stay head tube standover weight
Niner one 9 - Medium 72 73 603 440 100 728 1540
On-one Scandal - Medium 72 73 602 444 105 784 1588
This is where you need to be careful with niner's sizing IMO.
You are looking at the medium it seems.

Niner
Standover - 728mm
ST length - 16.5"
ETT - 23.75"

On One
Standover - 784mm
ST length - 18"
ETT - 23.7"

As you can see with niner, for the same length ETT you end up with a far shorter ST and far more standover. As a result you see far more seatpost extension needed for the same size ETT. If it was me (and I was happy with the ETT) I would be looking for the bike that had the longer ST or else go up a size in the Niner and use a shorter stem.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Singular Swift

The boat docks shortly.

Perhaps a little heavier than the Air or Selma but beautifull built and lovely to ride - good looking too - for a bike - or look at the EMD - great value for money. Big Top costs too much.

JD

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
I am starting to think that maybe steel is the way to go The range of aluminium SS 29er frames is pretty limited. I don't want to go eccentric hub as I already have a good wheelset.

Thoughts on Steel SS 29er frames that aren't to heavy? Salsa El Mariachi?

The boat docks shortly.

Perhaps a little heavier than the Air or Selma but beautifull built and lovely to ride - good looking too - for a bike - or look at the EMD - great value for money. Big Top costs too much.

JD
Thanks John,

Singulars should be here in a month...once they arrive there will be ads on here & a bit in the news section. They should have been here by now, but I think they might be on a row boat!

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
steel is certainly "real" as they say. I like a steel frame, unfortunately, i haven't found a steel grade that lasts longer than 6 months under my fatarse.

If you are looking for burly, then make sure that the steel is high grade (although I did bust my 853 niner) If you want steel, and want strength, maybe a titanium frame is up your alley