Need to rebuild hayes 9 DH brakes

Hi, my brakes are seized and i need to either rebuild them or replace them. Anyone got any tips for splitting the callipers ? the bolts are so tight that they are bending the Hex keys...

any ideas for the best method to undo these bolts?

As for replacements. whats a good set for around $200. does not have to include discs

T-Rex

Template denier
Hayes 9s are like T-Rex - getting a bit long in the tooth.

Those bolts will be well and truly corroded in place. Take the pads out and give them a good soaking in WD40 for a few days. They might come out or the heads will snap off the bolts, in which case they go in the bin.

You'll get something as good or better than the Hayes 9s for your $200 budget.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Just retire them if they are so bad, Hayes 9's were never world beating brakes from what I've heard either, so an upgrade will be instantly felt.

Second hand would be your best bet for that budget. Look for a pair of Avid Codes, great, and fairly reliable brakes. Or maybe Shimano Saints if you can find them cheap enough

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 to everyone

get your hex key and the appropriate spanner for the hex key
IMG_2469.jpg
incert your hex key into the bolt head
IMG_2473.jpg
grab you hex key with appropriate spanner right up as close as you can to the bot head like so
IMG_2474.jpg
and then carefully try to undo the bolt(righty tighty, lefty loosey)

if you cant undo the bolt because it is still to tight gain more leverage, i.e. a pipe around the spanner

if this does not work throw it away or soak in wd-40 and then try again in a coulpe days, if still not sucess throw away

Jambo

Likes Dirt
We may be able to help you out abit more with new brakes if you tell us what your going to be ridng :rant:

Hey Mate, im the OP. Had some problems getting my old account re-activated.

I've just pulled out my old 2005 Stinky from storage. So ill be riding FR and novice DH trails. No racing.

Riding probably once a fortnight. The Hayes Stroker Ryde look like a good fit ? Do they come with the rotors?

edit:my current Hayes 9s are stuffed. Ill need to re-seal them during the rebuild if i want to use them. The pads are rusted to the callipers.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, just bolt them to your bike, align the caliper on the rotor and you're set to go. Shouldn't need to shorten the hose but that's more personal preference than anything.