Nemesis Marathon Challenge

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definately, but you'd want the lightest possible bike for those hills, most people will be off walking!

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

I’ve just signed up for the 2011 45k Nemesis, me and my buddy. It’s both our first times in any sort of event so no idea what to expect.

Got to get some serious training in. I’ve ridden for many years, but only been back on the bike (on and off) over the last 12 months after a break of about 3 years, so got a bit of training to cram in, and never done anything like this before.

I’m under no illusions that we’ll be competitive in any way, but hoping at least to be able to stay the distance and complete the 45k. Just looking forward to seeing what the whole race/event vibe is all about really, and a great excuse to go ride somewhere different other than the normal weekly loop round Lysterfield.

We’ve even managed to rope the girls in. My mate Gordy and me (Tony) are set for the 45k and Marion & Emma (our better halves) have entered the 15k.

I have to say, I was a bit surprised that according to the live entry list last night there are only 3 of us currently signed up for the 45?, (2 in the 15k (Emma & Maz), and none in the 90k. Is this normal at this stage, will the places fill up nearer to the time or was last years so bad that no one wants to race it this year?

Cheers.

Megahead

Likes Bikes
I did the 45km last year with 2 other mates. We all came away saying that we would not be doing it again. It was a nice long dirt road climb on the way up the range followed by a few firetrails. It then just turned to shite in my books. The most ridiculous powdery descents into valleys and then walk up the other side. Repeat that a few times. By this stage your thinking "where's all the great singletrack that they advertised?". You get to about 40kms from memory, fly down the steepest brake destroying hill with water bars galore and then its all over.

On a positive note it was very well organised and the event hub was great. It was just a shame that the trails were shite. Hopefully they've improved them for this years race.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I'd read last years wasn't the best, but the Nemesis fell just right for us time-wise and location, so hoping they'll sort out the route better for this year.

Could be a baptism of fire for a first event.

Megahead

Likes Bikes
If you are doing a lap and a bit more at Lysty (30kms) plus on a weekly basis you'll probably be OK fitness wise to get through the 45km. I only had time to ride once a week before the last Nemisis and finished OK. I certainly walked my share of those hills though.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Cheers for that, although our Lysty laps are more in the 15-20k region of late, just haven't had the time up to now to ride as much as I should have (just moved house).

We're planning a 50k training ride this weekend, Lysterfield to Olinda and back. We did it last year but when we were riding regularly. Climbing up to One Tree Hill was a fair old slog, actually as was most of the trail once over the Mountain Highway. Took about 2.75 hours going, but came back via the Mountain Highway to Upwey so blasted back in no time.

It was a hard going at the time, but not too bad. I reckon if we can make Olinda this weekend without dropping dead from heart failure, then I reckon we'd be good by April for the 45k Nemesis.

Might have to work on the calves though if there's going to be that much hike-a-bike.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think hill repeats up Mt. Dandenong will suffice!

In other news, that stage race at the Avoca being run by Big Hill Events (same crowd as Nemesis Marathon) seems to be cancelled.

Can anyone confirm?

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I think hill repeats up Mt. Dandenong will suffice!

In other news, that stage race at the Avoca being run by Big Hill Events (same crowd as Nemesis Marathon) seems to be cancelled.

Can anyone confirm?
I got an e-mail last night from Big Hill to ay the Tour Avoca was cancelled.

It also said that instead of the race (29th Jan) they would have a trail build day for the Nemesis. Anyone volunteering will get free entry to the Nemesis.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I got an e-mail last night from Big Hill to ay the Tour Avoca was cancelled.

It also said that instead of the race (29th Jan) they would have a trail build day for the Nemesis. Anyone volunteering will get free entry to the Nemesis.
How do you volunteer?

Propagate

Likes Dirt
How do you volunteer?
Here's the relevant bit form the Entryzone e-mail I got. Contact e-mail for volunteer track work is at the bottom:-

Big Hill Events Trackwork Day

Due to the cancellation of the Mount Avoca Tour De Pyrenees, Big Hill Events has decided to run a track work day on Saturday the 29th of January. The team from Big Hill Events and friends will be going for a ride on the Sunday as well on the accessible tracks and all our welcome to join.

All volunteers for track work will receive free entry to the 2011 Nemisis Marathon Challenge, so if you are interested in riding in that event there is no better way to get entry! If you are interested please contact nicky@bighillevents.com.au.

Smacko

Squid
They'd have to improve it an awful lot to get me back. The new trail section they had last year hadn't had a chance to pack down and was chopped to the shite after the first 50 riders went through.
Top it off with the steep fire road decent at the end, which just went on and on............... OK going down was fun but after all the endless climbing where's the reward in a straight road down again? (certainly not enough to cover the $100 bill to get my brakes working again afterwards...... brake fluid was so badly burnt that it had black carbon floaties in it when they were bled!)......And I only did the 45km race. Only half my colleagues who did the full distance finished, and I'd consider the non finishes pretty fit given the training we'd all done.
Hope the trail builders prove me wrong this year, and I can have a crack the year after. Love Avoca and the people so need a reason to get back.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
It might be worth noting that the Tour de Pyrenees was first postponed, and then a cancelled - each time due to claims of trail damage etc, but the reality being the event had around 10 entrants. This despite it being a stage-race format, which are under great demand and usually hugely popular.

The current numbers in the marathon aren't looking a great deal better.

It might be worth noting that the Tour de Pyrenees was first postponed, and then a cancelled - each time due to claims of trail damage etc, but the reality being the event had around 10 entrants. This despite it being a stage-race format, which are under great demand and usually hugely popular.

The current numbers in the marathon aren't looking a great deal better.
A bit negative here perhaps?
The event is tough - get over it and get into it.
I spoke with a multi world champ and he loved it - walking is part of every MTB ride.
OO is a challenge so is this.
This is the type of event and passion that established Forrest as a MTB destination.
The organizers know what an event is: these guys are at the pointy end of marathons and have as much overseas marathon experience as any one in Australia.
Rohin knows a track ot two!!!!!!!
Reality is that this type of event is exactly the challenge that we should be giving ourselves, only one guy wins, the rest (me included) ride for the challenge against ourselves.
Avoca and surrounds need the support, this is the grass roots MTB experience and place and area that needs support for MTB to grow. What's next - the Avoca MTB club?

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I liked it too - but that opinion is shared by very few. The overwhelming opinion after the event was mostly negative.

The point I'm making is that the numbers would suggest the reputation given by the 2010 MTBA Marathon Championship is certainly having a negative effect on events proposed to be held there.

It makes no difference if you and I like it as a track if 300 others attended it and say "never again".