new alpinestar neckbrace

bill2

Likes Dirt
ok well i heard that there was a new alpine star neck brace coming out and it is cheaper because it does not have all the carbon fibber. i was just wondering when it is in stores so i can get one?

oh and i did a search but couldn’t find anything :p

mhuth1

Likes Dirt
ok well i heard that there was a new alpine star neck brace coming out and it is cheaper because it does not have all the carbon fibber. i was just wondering when it is in stores so i can get one?

oh and i did a search but couldn’t find anything :p
go to your lbs and see if they are an alpinestars dealer if they are they will have a catalouge. if not just go to the alpinestars site.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
CRC says they'll have them in stock 13/11/2009.

Im hanging out for one to see how they compare against leatt club GPX, theyre quite a bit cheaper.

Krank Bikes

www.krankbikes.com.au
CRC says they'll have them in stock 13/11/2009.

Im hanging out for one to see how they compare against leatt club GPX, theyre quite a bit cheaper.
The Alpine Star Neck Brace is not that much cheaper. Leatt have released a new pricing structure and they are alot more affordable now.

The retail prices on the Leatt braces are now:
ADVenture - $349
GPX Club - $679
GPX Sport - $750

Beej1

All the AlpineStar protective gear for 2010 was on display at the Worlds in Canberra. It was the best lookin armour I've seen in a while, though I couldn't try it on as it was cable tied to the display mounts. One thing they seemed impressed with themselves about was the non-slip silicone rubber parts on the inside, to stop the armour moving on yer joints as you ride.

They had 2 neck braces - one stupid-light carbon version and a cheaper plastic one. Both integrated with their pressure suit.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The alpinestar neckbrace that they brought out was nowhere near as good as leatt brand one. My dad is a sells the Leatt, Alpinestar and EVS ones at our motorcycle dealership and i've tried them all on and use the leatt one myself, the leatt is by far the most comfortable and had more adjustability.

bill2

Likes Dirt
The alpinestar neckbrace that they brought out was nowhere near as good as leatt brand one. My dad is a sells the Leatt, Alpinestar and EVS ones at our motorcycle dealership and i've tried them all on and use the leatt one myself, the leatt is by far the most comfortable and had more adjustability.
i heard the Leat ones can brake you collar bone and stuff your shoulders because they but the weight on you shoulders and collar bone and the Alpinestar ones put the weight onto you shoulder and chest is this right?

Yeti-Brenno

Likes Dirt

i heard the Leat ones can brake you collar bone and stuff your shoulders because they but the weight on you shoulders and collar bone and the Alpinestar ones put the weight onto you shoulder and chest is this right?
i dont think they break your collar bone

bill2

Likes Dirt
YVC said in a really big crash it can because it puts the pressure all in the one place witch makes sense.

Steepy

Likes Dirt
I chatted to the guys at the Monza stand at the World Champs who had all the Alpinestars stuff on display and they said that some other brands of neckbrace can have a tendency to break your collarbone but the Alpinestars braces redirect the force in a different way which is meant to avoid this, I can't remember the exact reasons why.

The other thing they said is that these new braces are specifically designed for mtb so they allow for more vertical movement of your head so that you can tilt your head back further than on a moto designed brace. I think this was a problem with the Leatt Adventure brace where it was hard to tilt your head back enough to see down the trail in certain situations because there was not any adjustment available on Leatts budget brace.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont think they break your collar bone
If anything you'd be more likely to break bones with the alpinestar one as the surface area its pushing done on is smaller than the leatt which means it exerts whatever force upon it on a smaller area. From all the brochures on the leatt it seems it has been much more researched from a medically beneficial perspective while still remaining un-bulky and comfortable. I've seen some pretty massive crashes on peoples heads at mx, one of which was my brother when a tyre rolled off the rim after a big drop off, another rider thought he would have demolished his neck for sure when he saw it while following him, but he was able to get back on and finish.

Moisty

Guru
While it is true, a broken collar bone is better than a broken neck, it is possible to reduce the chance of damage to the shoulders at all while still maintaining as much support for the neck as possible. Straight from the Alpinestars site about the BNS:

# Rear Stabilizer Failure system - In the event of large loads being channeled onto the rear stabilizer (the part that sits on the back) there are several deliberate bending and fracture points designed to relieve extreme loads that may be transmitted down the back.
# These include:
# Deflection of foam tail
# Grooves to allow deflection of support structure tip
# Fracture area of support structure tip
# Fracture of supporting members (also fracture if subjected to side loads that could cause the head to rotate).
# Collar Bone preservation 1 - All parts in contact with the body use an expanded foam compound to distribute the impact force over the widest area, yet remain light in weight.
# Collar Bone preservation 2 - A continuous frame member runs over the shoulders. This means there are no weak points in a critical part of the frame and that there are no metal pins or screws sitting directly above the shoulders which could be dislodged into the shoulders or collarbone during an accident.