New Australian bicycle shop at CRC and Wiggle prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

indica

Serial flasher
Sounds very ambitious - is there the buying power in Australia to support your model of bulk buy to sell cheaply?
I would not have thought so...

All the best.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds challenging indeed, but if prices are even close to competitive, I can't see why they won't do extremely well for themselves.

Cuthbert

Likes Dirt
Notice from the bikesmoveus thread it states that the product will be sourced from local distibutors. As it's commonly known the prices that distributors sell for is often higher than the CRC/wiggle retail price I'm probably not the only person who is wondering how this will actually work.....

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to seeing it come alive. BTW, if the warehouse is in Mel, will local pickup be available?

I know of one other mel based warehouse bicycle retailer/wholesaler with a shop front and cheap prices. And other than their advertised stuff, much non advertised stuff obtained thru bulk buys.........been there a while, fairly successful but still doesnt advertise in any major way.

So I presume that this model can work, and this new business should succeed with the right products.

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
Like others have stated, don't know how the pricing is going to work without the mass buying power, but I'd be super keen for something so local to open up so I can put more of my money back into the Australian MTB industry instead of overseas.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Notice from the bikesmoveus thread it states that the product will be sourced from local distibutors. As it's commonly known the prices that distributors sell for is often higher than the CRC/wiggle retail price I'm probably not the only person who is wondering how this will actually work.....
ummm yehhhh... that "commonly known" fact ain't totally correct.

example: 2Pure in the UK (Crank Brothers UK distributor) was selling Candy pedals to Wiggle and CRC for around 10% less than DW was selling the same product to local Australian stores for.

CRC/Wiggle were buying single models in box qty's of 50-100 at a time. Local stores buy 1-2 at a time. Based on the buying numbers... the pricing from the distributor isn't the biggest factor.

The real difference in retail price is that CRC/Wiggle put around half to a third of the mark-up on the same item. They have the volume to make it work on lower local mark-ups.

I say good luck to these guys. (and others like them, TBSM for example)

Elvis.

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Its just a front for laundering money :p

Here's hoping this company can do as they claim.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Advertising inquiries can be made to scott@rotorburn.com
Thanks email sent.

And guys the shop will offer a guaranteed price match with Wiggle and CRC. No questions asked.

Range will not be as huge as Wiggle or CRC to begin with but SRAM, Shimano, Mavic, BMC and many more other big brands are already in stock in the warehouse (I flew to Melbourne to check the warehouse, it's choka!).

floody

Wheel size expert
Given TBSM is within dollars of regular wholesale ++ prices on a lot of stuff, and CRC/Wiggle/Alexscycle and others are often cheaper by a significant margin than regular Aussie wholesale on Some High-end Iconic Manufacturers And Numerous Other brands retailing at minimal margins, plus carry a better and cheaper range of low volume small parts than some local distributors...it should be interesting to say the least.

If anything I'd like to see shopfront retailers crack the shits and lobby for more realistic pricing.

I've stirred the pot a little anyway.

http://www.alexscycle.com/component...-set-groupsetst-7970pa-sm-ew79ae-sw-7970.html

Di2 groupset $2,200+shipping, regular retail...

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds good, but the proof will be in the pudding. I'd imagine there won't be much profit to be made until this thing really gets under way. CRC doing up to 24 orders per minute? don't need as much profit on each of those orders.

I'm happy to support a local business, but they'll need to prove themselves.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wouldn't it have been better to setup a wider and more diverse product base before the public launch?

Ivan

Eats Squid
Wouldn't it have been better to setup a wider and more diverse product base before the public launch?
Or would you only choose products on which you can compete with OS pricing? ;)

If I were offering a price-match service, I wouldn't be stocking parts I was going to lose money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.