New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

Skywalker

Likes Dirt
I know a lot people just use social media these days but I find it difficult to believe these guys aren’t watching this or at least been told about this thread.
And if they have seen it why are they not defending themselves?
If they are aware of this discussion they are not doing themselves any favours by remaining silent.
I personally have no confidence in this venture. Hope it gets off the ground and they don’t lose their shirts but can’t see how that’s possible the way it’s been going.
They've been told. I emailed them basically asking them if they could answer some questions that have been asked by people in this thread. The director got back to me and said there was going to be an FAQ put on the website.

Skywalker

Likes Dirt
I'm in no way connected to these guys if that's what you're implying. Can you guys be anymore skeptical? It's laughable. I'm literally just been the person asking the questions and trying to give you the answers - even if they aren't exactly what your after. I'm just trying to keep the community informed. I don' t see anyone else here trying, just a bunch people speculating how it's going to fail and how people are going to lose their money. I live 10 minutes from Glenworth Valley so I'm hyped for it.

Anyway, I'll probably see you at Glenworth next year. Or maybe not.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Dude, we all want it to happen. No one here is negative to the idea. Though we may have seen these dreams come through once or twice before. I remember when 29ers sucked and 27.5 was the devil's work but I digress. Instead of promises of chairlifts and world cups I would rather see, in no particular order:
  • Leases signed (or at least MOU)
  • Planning approval
  • Proper project plan, you know the one that doesn't blow out by 6 months after 3 months
  • Maybe even a business case

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can you guys be anymore skeptical? It's laughable.
I'm not sceptical, I'm experienced. I've seen they way (Some of) these guys operate before - switching from hype speak to silence the moment they aren't receiving other people's money. I also think it looks like amateur hour when your "prospectus" is just bro speak and hype.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
hey poods, lets have a whip around and see if we can raise a squillion dollars to build a bike park at glenrock, its gonna be sick
i already have the plans on the back of a beer coaster, and Im gonna buy out the council so those chunts can't stand in the way of our development.
now all I need is everybody else to pay for it, I have already done enough!

LPG

likes thicc birds
hey poods, lets have a whip around and see if we can raise a squillion dollars to build a bike park at glenrock, its gonna be sick
i already have the plans on the back of a beer coaster, and Im gonna buy out the council so those chunts can't stand in the way of our development.
now all I need is everybody else to pay for it, I have already done enough!
Post a photo of the beer coaster. If you've spilled enough froth on it I'm sure we'll all chip in.

T.3

Likes Dirt
I'm not sceptical, I'm experienced. I've seen they way (Some of) these guys operate before - switching from hype speak to silence the moment they aren't receiving other people's money. I also think it looks like amateur hour when your "prospectus" is just bro speak and hype.
When you say "(some of) these guys" do you mean the actual people in this or do you mean it in more general terms?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in no way connected to these guys if that's what you're implying. Can you guys be anymore skeptical? It's laughable. I'm literally just been the person asking the questions and trying to give you the answers - even if they aren't exactly what your after. I'm just trying to keep the community informed. I don' t see anyone else here trying, just a bunch people speculating how it's going to fail and how people are going to lose their money. I live 10 minutes from Glenworth Valley so I'm hyped for it.

Anyway, I'll probably see you at Glenworth next year. Or maybe not.
Yeah mate like some of the others have said I don't think anyone here is against it at all, that I've seen anyway. I think for me personally you could substitute the word skeptical above for "cynical". I would love this to all come together and I would even lay down some cash but as others have said there is simply nothing to go on for me to make an educated call on whether parting with my not-so-hard earned cash is safe or not. I don't need their whole business plan here. But a defined path of approvals with realistic timetables and most importantly with clear lines of communication to US, the riders (and future main customers) whose money they are asking for is not too much to ask. I get your stoke dude I really do, I share it, but I guess I'm just the glass half empty on this one. I'm hoping that you can say see I told you so in the shuttle line next year!!!!

mark22

Likes Dirt
Had a look at the website to see what all the fuss is about.
IF you want some credibility 1st rule don't make unrealistic claims about it possibly hosting all these UCI events. Chairlift never going to happen ever.
200 m of elevation is really not that much (Queenstown 400m. Maydena 810m).

Concerns me that funding a trail building company to build a bike Park is not ideal, pay us some money to do what we do and then pay us some more to come and ride? much rather her see a Derby type situation it works well, rather than a Maydena one.
Could not see any great MTB projects they have done recently.

MTB's are optimistic about our sport however if it doesn't sound right it usually isn't.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am still optimistic that if they can get some fun trails up and running then they will attract some Government grant funding down the track to get bigger and better. The hardest part must be getting off the ground. MTB needs so much land and nice bushland comes at a price. If I was a local I would chuck some cash at it in the hope of having an awesome local trail to ride.
Synergy have generously given back to the sport over the years and did so in the early days in the push for legal trails in the gong.

Green Valleys had a lot of volunteers helping to get started even though this was establishing a business.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I am still optimistic that if they can get some fun trails up and running then they will attract some Government grant funding down the track to get bigger and better. The hardest part must be getting off the ground. MTB needs so much land and nice bushland comes at a price. If I was a local I would chuck some cash at it in the hope of having an awesome local trail to ride.
Synergy have generously given back to the sport over the years and did so in the early days in the push for legal trails in the gong.

Green Valleys had a lot of volunteers helping to get started even though this was establishing a business.
the problem with relying on governments providing funding is we all know how long they take to do things, we will all be riding bikes in forests with no trees before that happens

T.3

Likes Dirt

I don't know the people behind this but believe they've made many contributions to trail building and advocacy both paid and unpaid.

I don't think this is some elaborate fraud to take mountain bikers money.

I think the launch and subsequent publicity hasn't been handled really well. Talking about a chairlift and uci level events seems to be putting the cart before the horse. Maybe just get some trails up and running and build on that. Most people, myself included love their trails and the "froth" would build from there.

Of course all this is my opinion, a bystander who hasn't and isn't having a crack. They are and for that full respect.