How to New Bike Setup Advice

Flow-Rider

Burner
He might have a short torso compared to his overall height, that's most likely why he prefers the mediums. If your knees aren't fouling on the bars on short turns the frame is generally the right size.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Looking at the numbers between the 2 bikes and their respective setups, this area is the integral factor; 60mm difference is pretty significant.
Yep. A mate just went through sizing a new bike from a similar situation running a long stem to make a reasonable fit. In the end new frame ran 465 reach with 50mm stem for almost the exact overall effective reach. He is riding so much better now in all conditions. Much more confident. His old bike was a 2016 sight so quite a capable trail bike but just a bit too small.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@mtb1611 when you decide on your new large frame, shoot me your bank deets. I've got $175 hot and ready for your unwanted medium spesh.

Alternatively, I may be cheaper and a lot more fun to change riding styles. Funnily enough my phone Auto corrected riding to risking...as though it knew what I was about to suggest! Get your gravity hustle on.

mtb1611

Seymour
@mtb1611 when you decide on your new large frame, shoot me your bank deets. I've got $175 hot and ready for your unwanted medium spesh.

Alternatively, I may be cheaper and a lot more fun to change riding styles. Funnily enough my phone Auto corrected riding to risking...as though it knew what I was about to suggest! Get your gravity hustle on.
Haha, way too old to begin the gravity hustle!!!!!!!

Given the amount of comparisons I've now made between the old and new I'm quite sure that it's just a matter of taking the time to get used to the new ride and position, and possibly a slightly longer stem.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Too late, it's in the garage! Definitely the right size, I've been on mediums forever.
Me too, 175cm (regular proportion) been mediums straight outta the box since 2007 without even thinking about it.

Now on a Large Santa Cruz Hightower LT o_O

Cockpits are getting smaller.