New bike time!

moorey

call me Mia
Haha! Why do you think I'm ragging on Mondraker!?
I've heard nothing but good ride reports from Mondy, I just personally come at the top tubes. Out of interest, how does their comparable frame sit price wise against sworks evo? (I know you're was scammed warranty), or a sb6. Couldn't be dearer?

Z

Zaf

I can't find them frame only, just pre built, and they come in around the S-Works RRP but not seemingly as good a build kit on them.
Theyre sexy bikes, I want one. But I'd like to build it from frame up. I can't justify it though, need bigger terrain to make a dune worth while, and I've got a Stumpy for where the Foxy would fit the quiver.

Last edited by a moderator:

moorey

call me Mia
I can't find them frame only, just pre built, and they come in around the S-Works RRP but not seemingly as good a build kit on them.
Theyre sexy bikes, I want one. But I'd like to build it from frame up. I can't justify it though, need bigger terrain to make a dune worth while, and I've got a Stumpy for where the Foxy would fit the quiver.
I call bs on your pricing. But I'm talking about what I reckon, not what I know, so I'm signing off.

Z

Zaf

I call bs on your pricing. But I'm talking about what I reckon, not what I know, so I'm signing off.
http://mondraker.com.au/bikes.html

$11,000 RRP on a Dune carbon top spec.
It does come with Fox X2 and 36's, but then it's all XO and Mavic Crossmax wheels. Not that it's in any way bad kit, but for the same money you're getting XX1 and carbon wheels on Specialized builds.

antonfourie

Likes Dirt

It does come with Fox X2 and 36's, but then it's all XO and Mavic Crossmax wheels. Not that it's in any way bad kit, but for the same money you're getting XX1 and carbon wheels on Specialized builds.
That is RRP, can do a better price than that, who actually pays RRP anyway ...

Seriously though, don't be scared to ask for a deal

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Sure but just because he's the importer, don't assume he has a clue.
Google Anton Fourie and Paul Walton and then say these guys don`t have a clue . You don`t get to work with Fab Barel without having a clue . These guys are on the pulse .

On a side note I don`t think there has ever been a time when there has just been such an overwhelming choice of AM bikes to choose from ! And its just going to keep going from the looks of things . What do you do ? Buy a different brand each year so you can sample them all ?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Google Anton Fourie and Paul Walton and then say these guys don`t have a clue . You don`t get to work with Fab Barel without having a clue . These guys are on the pulse .

On a side note I don`t think there has ever been a time when there has just been such an overwhelming choice of AM bikes to choose from ! And its just going to keep going from the looks of things . What do you do ? Buy a different brand each year so you can sample them all ?
Just taking this piss Mario....

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Just taking this piss Mario....
All good , know you and Moorey are taking the piss out of each other , always makes me laugh . But seriously , how good is the choice thats out there now and will we ever see it so good ? Looking at all these bikes makes my mouth water . I don`t think anyone has mentioned the Scott Genius LT series , damn sexy .

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately I'm spending my own money this time around. If someone wants to sponsor me as a bike destruction tester I'm up for that!

Went down to the LBS intending to ride a nomad, ended up talking to the owner for a while. He was of the opinion that i could get a complete carbon reign for the same price, which might be a better-value proposition.
Ended up doing a parking lot lap on that, taking it up to 320ish psi in the shock, and still bottoming it out. It's a cool bike, but felt a bit uninspired compared to the banshee. Had to get going and didn't sit on the nomad at all, but it looks the part.
Did make me wonder if there's some completes I should check out too....

Z

Zaf

Unfortunately I'm spending my own money this time around. If someone wants to sponsor me as a bike destruction tester I'm up for that!

Went down to the LBS intending to ride a nomad, ended up talking to the owner for a while. He was of the opinion that i could get a complete carbon reign for the same price, which might be a better-value proposition.
Ended up doing a parking lot lap on that, taking it up to 320ish psi in the shock, and still bottoming it out. It's a cool bike, but felt a bit uninspired compared to the banshee. Had to get going and didn't sit on the nomad at all, but it looks the part.
http://mondraker.com.au/2016Bikes/DuneRCarbon.html

That'd be on the money with a good deal on complete! Maybe you should hit up Anton for a deal.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt

Issue I find with completes are that you'll end up changing a whole lot of things... especially when you know what you want. Most completes that are good value come with pretty ordinary wheelset... ones that come with a wheelset light enough cost big bucks.

If you have most of a bike, I'd say get a frame on closeout/special... then build the rest up. Actually, personally I enjoy wrenching so I'd say build one regardless - question for yourself I guess. Specialized dealers have some great prices on frames due to demo frame sellouts. Maybe pickup an 650b Enduro/Stumpy?

Maybe look at a Norco Sight (140mm) or Range (160mm)? they're hard to find since Norco Australia don't bring many in, but if you're patient they can be found in great condition near new/second hand.
Or look at Transition Patrol/Scout... their bikes always feel very playful, and have bottomless travel.

Maybe I just suck at climbing, but a 150/160mm travel bike aren't climbers... regardless of suspension design. For the trails that you mention I reckon a 130/140mm bike (& geo) would be plenty.
But I knew that and still went and overbiked myself with a 150mm bike and put it in it's slackest setting LOL

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Liteville 301 has been mentioned already. What about the 601? Or a Nicolai Ion or Helius? Canyon Strive?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Paying for the suspension I reckon. The X2 is meant to be insane and 36s are ridiculously good. What Mountain Bike did a solid review of this model a couple of months ago. Worth a look: http://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/gea...uct/review-mondraker-dune-carbon-xr-16-49763/

Personally, if I could in any way justify a 160mm trail bike for the pansy riding style I practice, and was good at insider trading, one of these would be near the top of my list...

I've got XTR 11spd with an 11-42 XT cassette on the Stumpy and it's some of the smoothest shifting kit I've ever used, so smooth I thought I'd screwed the indexing when I first took it out because I couldn't feel it through my feet when it shifted.

That setup only costs $400 as well, shifter, derailleur and cassette wise, I wouldn't write it off.

Sounds like a solid bike, I'm subscribed! Keep us posted on progress.
I agree, perfect set up.. soooo much has changed for us old timers... the smoothness of the running great is amazing..