New bike time!

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Issue I find with completes are that you'll end up changing a whole lot of things... especially when you know what you want. Most completes that are good value come with pretty ordinary wheelset... ones that come with a wheelset light enough cost big bucks.

If you have most of a bike, I'd say get a frame on closeout/special... then build the rest up. Actually, personally I enjoy wrenching so I'd say build one regardless - question for yourself I guess. Specialized dealers have some great prices on frames due to demo frame sellouts. Maybe pickup an 650b Enduro/Stumpy?

Maybe look at a Norco Sight (140mm) or Range (160mm)? they're hard to find since Norco Australia don't bring many in, but if you're patient they can be found in great condition near new/second hand.
Or look at Transition Patrol/Scout... their bikes always feel very playful, and have bottomless travel.

Maybe I just suck at climbing, but a 150/160mm travel bike aren't climbers... regardless of suspension design. For the trails that you mention I reckon a 130/140mm bike (& geo) would be plenty.
But I knew that and still went and overbiked myself with a 150mm bike and put it in it's slackest setting LOL
yeah, that's the thing. I definitely have a preference as to how I like a bike set up, and it's fairly easy to throw a solid build together cheaply using rotorburn, mtbdirect and the LBS. Will definitely turn out nicer if I build up a frame, can concentrate money on wheels/suspension/contact points that way. I did some maths after yesterdays chat, even if I drop 4.5k on a frame then build it up, it only comes in at $800 more than buying a complete reign. Which to me is definitely worthwhile. Which makes almost any frame option bar yeti available.

Good call on looking at a spesh, I'll see if there's any frames kicking around the melbourne dealers. The proprietary shock mount/size has me a bit twitchy though, not sure I wanna lock myself into that. Ohlins to me is a bit shit, cause they're not user serviceable/shimmable, whereas literally anything else on the market is.

As for 150mm bikes not climbing well, I dunno. HA and weight are the only two disadvantages I can think of, given how good suspension designs are these days.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Dilstub, Spec are having a show day at Youies mid Feb, 13/14th i think, from what i hear they are bringing the entire range for folks to try on the trails, you could probably hash out a deal on the day if they had frames available, i'm saving up to see what they come with as well, not set on a spec but its an option.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
yeah, that's the thing. I definitely have a preference as to how I like a bike set up, and it's fairly easy to throw a solid build together cheaply using rotorburn, mtbdirect and the LBS. Will definitely turn out nicer if I build up a frame, can concentrate money on wheels/suspension/contact points that way. I did some maths after yesterdays chat, even if I drop 4.5k on a frame then build it up, it only comes in at $800 more than buying a complete reign. Which to me is definitely worthwhile. Which makes almost any frame option bar yeti available.

Good call on looking at a spesh, I'll see if there's any frames kicking around the melbourne dealers. The proprietary shock mount/size has me a bit twitchy though, not sure I wanna lock myself into that. Ohlins to me is a bit shit, cause they're not user serviceable/shimmable, whereas literally anything else on the market is.

As for 150mm bikes not climbing well, I dunno. HA and weight are the only two disadvantages I can think of, given how good suspension designs are these days.
For $800 yeah! no doubt that's assuming the Reign is at RRP? $4.5k will surely get you even a yeti. This time last year, the SB6c was $4.2 at My Mountain. If you're in Melbourne, check out The Ride Cycles, Aaron has Spesh, Yeti, Niner, Lapierre etc... frames to go too.
Otherwise for Norco and Rocky Mountain, Ross at iRide will surely fix you up with something nice.

hmm, haven't considered the shock mount issue. I've seen so many retrofitted shocks, I never thought it was any harder than normal. But you've got a point if you have to purchase another shock.
It can't be that hard to get some shock mounts to suit right? there are quick a few suspension workshops around, someone's gotta have done it on whichever frame you're looking for. The beauty of social media.

Can't wait to see where this leads to!

Z

Zaf

For $800 yeah! no doubt that's assuming the Reign is at RRP? $4.5k will surely get you even a yeti. This time last year, the SB6c was $4.2 at My Mountain. If you're in Melbourne, check out The Ride Cycles, Aaron has Spesh, Yeti, Niner, Lapierre etc... frames to go too.
Otherwise for Norco and Rocky Mountain, Ross at iRide will surely fix you up with something nice.

hmm, haven't considered the shock mount issue. I've seen so many retrofitted shocks, I never thought it was any harder than normal. But you've got a point if you have to purchase another shock.
It can't be that hard to get some shock mounts to suit right? there are quick a few suspension workshops around, someone's gotta have done it on whichever frame you're looking for. The beauty of social media.

Just for reference, the Specialized mount isn't just proprietary in how it attaches (pic related), but also stroke length and eye to eye. It's costly for custom jobs.

But options do exist. And you can potentially get other aftermarket yokes that don't need that mount type and look more like the ones Ibis use on their bikes and such.

But it's the trade off with anything, but if the option you want exists for it... Makes like easier.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt

yeah, that's for the mid-level 5400 RRP reign. it's not gonna be a flash build, I'm sticking to 10speed shimano and concentrating on solid wheels and suspension, but yeah. i have a tuned RC4 that'll fit the nomad, so if i go down that route I'll have that option.
I'll have to go visit some shops then (and would love a recommendation on a good SC dealer). i know greensborough cycles do yeti at reasonable prices, I'm just a little put off the sb6c by what I've heard of warranty/claim issues.

i did have a glance at the new pink bronson this week. seems like a mini-nomad really.

Going to go frame only. Parts are pretty much sorted, going for a Monarch/Pike combo, some e13 rims that weigh in the same as carbon, then stealing my shifting and brakes from the rune. Have heard terrible things about 11 speed shimano, plus 32/11-36 is easily enough gears as the rune got by fine on 34/11-34. New wheels/cranks/fork will be the only real changes.

I definitely think 140/150mm is the sweet spot, but the SB/Scout at 125 might be a tad too short-travel for what I want.
Selling a Norco Sight Carbon frame on eBay. Awesome rig, very clean just needed abit more travel for Europe trip coming up mid-year. Let me know if keen. I also have the 140mm Pike RCT3 to go with it. Send me a message if still looking for a frame

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Reigns dont come with any volume reducers in the shock stock, very easy to fit amd they are very effective at ramping up the spring rate. I went from bottoming out once or twice on my local loop too always getting through 3/4 only. On an xc loop, which means i dont have to change my pressures before i hit the gnarlier trails.

Just something to keep in mind. I added 4 bands, the max you can fit is 10 i think

Z

Zaf

Canyon Strive in the Fox kit is amazing value for money!
Fox Factory 36 and Float X evol, X01 with SixC carbon cranks spinning DT Swiss 1501 wheels, Guide RSC brakes to stop them and Rental cockpit and reverb to round it all out.

$6799 + postage is a hard price to find fault with for that kind of kit.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just for reference, the Specialized mount isn't just proprietary in how it attaches (pic related), but also stroke length and eye to eye. It's costly for custom jobs.

But options do exist. And you can potentially get other aftermarket yokes that don't need that mount type and look more like the ones Ibis use on their bikes and such.

But it's the trade off with anything, but if the option you want exists for it... Makes like easier.

I've seen diy custom yokes/clevis but never after market.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452740361.502330.jpg

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Reigns dont come with any volume reducers in the shock stock, very easy to fit amd they are very effective at ramping up the spring rate. I went from bottoming out once or twice on my local loop too always getting through 3/4 only. On an xc loop, which means i dont have to change my pressures before i hit the gnarlier trails.

Just something to keep in mind. I added 4 bands, the max you can fit is 10 i think
the only thing with that is, it doesn't change the fact that the suspension design sort of sits in a pocket at 30% sag, and i'm not a fan of the feeling. I reckon I could sort out the bottoming issue and the high required pressures with volume reducers, but buying a bike and jumping into bandaid fixes straight away isn't too appealing.

the more I read about them, the more the new bronson is looking appealing. re-read mywifeisirrational's thread about the nomad being too much bike for an all-rounder, and have had a few other people agree with it. the bronson on paper seems just as capable but a very different leverage ratio means it'll have more pop in the midstroke and should pedal better. faaarrk, I overthink things far too much, don't I?

Z

Zaf

the only thing with that is, it doesn't change the fact that the suspension design sort of sits in a pocket at 30% sag, and i'm not a fan of the feeling. I reckon I could sort out the bottoming issue and the high required pressures with volume reducers, but buying a bike and jumping into bandaid fixes straight away isn't too appealing.

the more I read about them, the more the new bronson is looking appealing. re-read mywifeisirrational's thread about the nomad being too much bike for an all-rounder, and have had a few other people agree with it. the bronson on paper seems just as capable but a very different leverage ratio means it'll have more pop in the midstroke and should pedal better. faaarrk, I overthink things far too much, don't I?
It's the best way to think things through! Ideas morph and change, and you revisit them as you go.
The older Bronson Geo was more of a longer trail bike after the new Enduro geometry started coming out, the v2's look like a mini Nomad with a boost rear looking at the current numbers, which seems to be how a lot of companies are positioning their steeds now.

The new Stumpjumper is pretty much an Enduro light, same angles and numbers everywhere just with shorter travel and a more playful leverage rate.

What's on the short list, pros and cons list. Seriously, write them up comparing geo numbers, travel, weight cost, ride impressions that appeal to you...and most of all lust factor. By a bike that makes you want to ride!

teK--

Eats Squid
Although I believe it is Giant's oversight to sell these bikes without spacers (due to the leverage curve of this frame), it is hardly a bandaid solution. Spacers are commonly fitted to tune forks and shocks to rider weight and riding style. Fitting them totally transformed the way my reign rode.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
^^this.

Very easy, effective tuning.

Couple this with how sensitive the ride characteristic is to sag and there isn't much you can't sort.

This bandaid solution is a bonus I think. Very adatable bike.

If you don't want one, fair enough. But its not a flawed design.

betadine

Likes Bikes
Hi there,

Just wanted to give my two cents as an owner of the SB5c. Had it for just over a year and 6000ks later still as happy as day one. No maintenance issues and still going strong. It's got heap of capability when it gets rough, super lively and pops off anything. And for all that, the climbing capability is exceptional - it's very light and chews up those fire trail ascents to get the start of the fund stuff.

I recently rode a Bronson and it felt too much bike for me. Feels like it's grown a bit through 2016. Also had a chance to ride 2016 models of the 5010 and the stumpy (both 27.5 and 29). All sweet bikes but the stumpy 29 was my pick. Super stable and agile inspiring heaps of confidence to tackle anything I'm capable of. I wouldn't trade it for my SB5 though.

For context, I live on the central coast and ride a lot at Ourimbah and Kincumber. Love it when it gets fast and steep but not always looking for the biggest gap or drop. Love railing a good fast turn just as much.

Hope that's helpful.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
^^this.

Very easy, effective tuning.

Couple this with how sensitive the ride characteristic is to sag and there isn't much you can't sort.

This bandaid solution is a bonus I think. Very adatable bike.

If you don't want one, fair enough. But its not a flawed design.
it's definitely effective tuning, modded my lyrik to accept spacers and it definitely helped the air spring curve.
the flaw with the reign isn't the fact it needs more ramp-up, it's that the leverage ratio is too high, resulting in excessive shock pressures. look at the giant EWS bikes, they're running coil shocks and stiff springs for a reason.
I'm sure they do ride well if that sag pocket feel is what you're after, but i personally wasn't a big fan.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Hi there,

Just wanted to give my two cents as an owner of the SB5c. Had it for just over a year and 6000ks later still as happy as day one. No maintenance issues and still going strong. It's got heap of capability when it gets rough, super lively and pops off anything. And for all that, the climbing capability is exceptional - it's very light and chews up those fire trail ascents to get the start of the fund stuff.

I recently rode a Bronson and it felt too much bike for me. Feels like it's grown a bit through 2016. Also had a chance to ride 2016 models of the 5010 and the stumpy (both 27.5 and 29). All sweet bikes but the stumpy 29 was my pick. Super stable and agile inspiring heaps of confidence to tackle anything I'm capable of. I wouldn't trade it for my SB5 though.

For context, I live on the central coast and ride a lot at Ourimbah and Kincumber. Love it when it gets fast and steep but not always looking for the biggest gap or drop. Love railing a good fast turn just as much.

Hope that's helpful.
that's very helpful actually, thanks. if i can get a sb6 frame at the right price it's still on the cards. the sb5c just seems like it'll be too little bike, but if the sb6 is anything like it, i expect good things. curious though, what did you prefer on the stumpy over the 5010?

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Update time. Went down to the LBS, had a rip on a Nomad in the parking lot. Feels like such a mint bike, so much better feeling than the reign. It felt a fair bit more playful and easier to maneuver than the rune and seemed to hop nicely too. The shop guy was trying to push me into a bronson pretty hard, they're apparently getting one in a couple weeks so I'll be able to have a sit on it. I honestly don't think I need a smaller bike than the nomad given how easy it is to throw around on the flat.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Dunno if anyone cares enough to read this anymore, but oh well.
Picked up a stealth black nomad frame, getting some 36's for it next week.
Currently not sure what wheels to run on it though, was thinking of going for some pro4's from CRC, but their rim options are pretty limited for custom wheel builds.
Besides, pro4's/Dt Revs/Flow EX's come in at around 1.9kg, which is heavier than I'd like. Any other options for wheels that are worth looking at? Budget of about 900, looking for ~1700g and would love to stick to Pro4's if I could (cause they're standard spokes and easy to work on) but it's not essential.

Z

Zaf

Fucking called it!
Also +1 for pics and a link to a post my ride thread!