New Descending Trail for Glenrock. Input in Planning and Construction needed.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I've started a new thread here as the other threads are disjointed and have headings that don't really cover the topic. The thread was first posted at the GTA with photos (http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/31542), keep an eye on that thread and consider posting there as well as a lot of GTA stuff is not duplicated over here and we don't want to miss comments of people.

There is also photos on the GTA website of the trail corridor and location.

GTA said:
This is the first of the three descending trails to be looked at. This one will function as a technical trail (black diamond) rather than a descending trail to link the notwork.

Its envisaged that this specific trail will have advanced technical features (with appropriate B and C lines where needed). The corridor is shown in the area photo, essentially it is the existing power easement that runs north off Gun club Road. The corridor itself is a little longer than the existing DH trail corridors and for the most part is a similar grade, if not a little steeper, it just misses the final steep grade on the existing trails (and the trees). It also has the other side of the gully that could be worked with for either a small scale descending trail (its not as long) or a short climb to rejoin the trail loop.

The attached photos are taken in order as you move down the trail corridor. There are some interesting features that could be played with, but a bit more time on the ground planning is needed.

No specific trail plan is in place at the moment for this trail and we want to take on everyone's ideas. Please post a wish list of trail features here, but in the very short term we want to walk the corridor with riders and start to really plan.

Remember we can access large rock stockpiles and dirt if need be to create features as well, so that isn't too much of a problem.

We have spoken to NPWS about the general plans for this corridor, they are supportive of what we are talking about. Its not a DH trail as such (but then I don't regard the existing trails as DH trails either).
We want peoples input into this trail as it will be the first of the trails to replace the closed DH trails (we won't call this a DH trail though, lets say AM). I'll check back here occasionally to see what comments there are, but feel free to drop by the GTA site and add them there so all the GTA can see them.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, Given all those recent complaints from DHer's about feeling as though they have not been consulted on Glenrock issues, i should be surprised that there has been very little activity on this one from DHer's but somehow, I'm not surprised at all. Come on, If your a Hunter (or any other area at all really) DHer, and want to do something about your limited trail access then get of your farkin clacker and get your hands dirty. No more bitching and moaning, get it done.....

sammydog

If anyone is riding DH in Glenrock on saturday while the NPWS open day is on, come up and have a chat about the new stuff proposed.

If I've got a few seconds spare I'll take you down to the trail corridor and have a look. The NPWS will also be on hand to have a chat about the development of DH trails if your that way inclined.

sammydog

You talking the Bus Stop trail that was closed, or you want a Bus Stop in the trail?

I'm assuming the later.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You talking the Bus Stop trail that was closed, or you want a Bus Stop in the trail?

I'm assuming the later.
Bus stop in the trail would be good , if you ever rode the old Lithgo track down the end of the shoot was two bus stops they were so much fun .

sammydog

State Mine Track? Loved that track.

To be honest, just thinking about the trail corridor, it may actually be possible in at least one spot. Possibly 2, but would need a closer look at whats going on under the vegetation. Both going to the left like the Lithgow trail.

We actually had two of those on the old Amazon trail up here.

I've got a few bad pics of the corridor, none really show what I am thinking. It would run off the current XC trail, which would work, but I was thinking the DH trail would be completely seperate. Two lines perhaps?

If you know Glenrock at all, this may give you an idea. This photo is looking up the corridor. To the right of the picture is a management trail that is used in the XC loop to get to the ReLoad trail. Its a fast open section, but there is a large cutting/embankment on the left as you ride that could just work (or not).

That photo is the middle third of where we can play at the moment, the total trail is similar in length (probably a touch longer) than the current trails.

I was picturing the trail going down the three big benches you can see in the middle of the photo. For scale, the cut you can see at the top (with the bare earth) is about 5m high, you can see trees growing in the second one. The third bench will need a bit of exploring to see whats actually happening with the creek at the bottom of it.

More photos in here http://glenrocktrailalliance.com/node/31542

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, Given all those recent complaints from DHer's about feeling as though they have not been consulted on Glenrock issues, i should be surprised that there has been very little activity on this one from DHer's but somehow, I'm not surprised at all. Come on, If your a Hunter (or any other area at all really) DHer, and want to do something about your limited trail access then get of your farkin clacker and get your hands dirty. No more bitching and moaning, get it done.....
I'm not from the area, but if the plan can involve some flow, berms, and hippy/lippy jumps, I'll happily drive up the F3 and lend a shovel or two to the process. Sure I could get a few more bodies to join in.

sammydog

I didn't put all the photos in, you can see them at the link I posted, but I think either the top or bottom third of the trail lend themselves to pretty much what you describe. It's only the middle section where the corridor goes through the big terraces where the trail will need to be steep and tech.

The GTA is trying to fund a power carrier which will make moving dirt and rock easy, but the NPWS will deliver as much dirt and rock as we need to the general area.

I'd like to see this trail under construction be Christmas, it's just a matter now of getting it all planned and underway.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not from the area, but if the plan can involve some flow, berms, and hippy/lippy jumps, I'll happily drive up the F3 and lend a shovel or two to the process. Sure I could get a few more bodies to join in.

Thats the way, get along and get your mates involved. I'll speak for Sammy on this, I'm sure that if we get a commitment from a whole bunch of DHers, we could chuck some snags on the BBQ.

Get involved, I guarantee that the exposure to the NPWS up this way will help you with your trail access issues down your way

sammydog

My motivation with this trail is to make something that riders enjoy (which is why we need the input of the people likely to ride it), but at the same time, is non threatening to NPWS.

Once we achieve that, we can move onto the next level of building.

There are plenty of easements like this in the park that we can use, get it right and they will come into play.

Like the XC crew, there will be people who get the OK to maintain and build on the trails at anytime outside of official build days as well as access to the GTA tool stash in the NPWS depot.

Keep an eye on the thread though bikesarefun,there will be a build day soon.

haltz

Likes Dirt
i wanna start diggin haha im in earthmoving i have a deal with my boss if i use a machine outside of work i just work a saturday with out charging him ill sacrifice a free saturday if a 5 tonne excavator can help?

sammydog

Unfortunately we cant bring in private machinery, plenty of people offer. The NPWS had a $100,000 budget last financial year for mtb trails in Glenrock though, Part of it bought this.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should be great once this is in, Sammy. Definitely got my support + help once I'm back in the country.

sammydog

To the guys that came and had a look today, sorry I had to bail so quick. I had to get back up to the event to do presentations and then pack up.

Let me know your thoughts on what you saw in the trail though.