New Downhill Bike!?

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Hey guys.
Well to start off, this is my first post so please move this thread if i've posted it in the wrong section.
Alright, so Im 14 and looking it to get into some proper downhill.i have been into bikes for as long as i can remember. I started getting into trail/DH about a year or so back. But last year i had quiet a serious accident. And had get off the bike for a few months due to broken bones and that stuff. I then got into riding but i realised i just wasnt as confident as i used to be. When i hit jumps before i wouldn't have the thought of coming off. But now i always have that feeling of something bads going to happen. I still ride just not as confident. So i have decided im going to try and push the boundaries and get into proper downhill for fun/confidence. I have a Budget of $2500 but i can push up if need be. I am looking for a full suspension bike. Second hand is preferred as i can get a better spec'd bike for cheaper, though i risk the bike being dodgy as its been abused. Im open to all suggestions.i have been looking at a 2012 Giant Glory 0. Hardly used at LBS going for $2500. Or I brand new 2014 giant glory 2. For $2800. The 2012 is what am mostly interested in right now. Im open to all suggestions and if you have questions please ask :) thanks oh and im 5.7"

Oliver2424

Likes Bikes
new or used

Hi mate I'm also 14 looking for a dh bike too. the first thing i would do getting a second hand bike is(if you can) go and have a look at it and have a ride. and if you are going for a brand new one you just wont get a bike with as good as specs as a second hand one for the same price. my mate has a 2011 giant glory (he is also 14) which he got second hand for about 900 but for what its worth its a great bike. the other thing is that (in my opinion) as long as everything is mechanically sound it should be fine, i mean if it has a few scratches and rubbing on it its fine (as long as it doesn't have dents) my other mate got a brand new 2012 commencial supreme v2 for about 2500. but the specs on his are not as good as the one on the giant. however the one on the giant had a lot of scratches. so its just about balancing the two. hope this helps. i reckon the 2012 giant glory 0 would be a great bike if u can get that for 2500. good luck

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the link indica. Right in my budget too. There is one thing im worried about, thats the i dont how to name it but how well you can 'flick' the bike. Eg glory. I mean its quiet a bike and i want to be able to flick about on it. If you know what i mean. But i think that 2013 glory 2 is what is most likely what im going to get. Thanks for the link ! Very helpful.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The glory 0 hardly used. Have they said how much use, have a look at the wear on the cassette or any other places you feel needed. Ask if the store has stripped, cleaned and rebuilt he bike prior to sale.

From here ask about warranty, ask if the store will over it for a period of time. If so that's a massive plus.
If they say all parts are covered for say X months (its ussually 12 for a new bike) make sure you also ask about the frame though and see if that will still be covered.

The 2012 glory 0 will be a much better build, however the newer model that indica linked has a better frame (they changed the geometry). That said the older one isnt bad and can be drastically Improved with an angle set to slacken the headangle a little.

I personally am a fan of new you get warranty (hence why I suggest you ask the store who's selling a used bike)

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Spec wise im not sure which is better, stock 2012 glory 0 or 2013 glory 2 (link was posted)? Help me out lol

driftking

Wheel size expert
If its the stock build the 2012 0 is better spec not even competition.
But the geometry of the 2013 is updated.

The 2012 still had good geometry most people found it much better when they slackened the head angle.

You said you could stretch your budget yeah? How much.
I'd be asking Fortheriders what it will cost to upgrade the forks from the boxxer RC to boxxer R2C2 and the rear to a rc4 or vivid rc2 from the stock kage R

Stores tend to hate doing trade ins like this but they will do it if they want the sale.

I did it with my bike (not purchased at Fortheriders) I think it cost me like 250 extra toget the forks to R2C2 and 250-500 to get the shock done.

Why I am suggesting this is, suspension is the most important part on the bike after the frame and while the stock glory 2 suspension will do you as a beginner you will soon want something better with more adjustment and better performance. Its mainly longevity so you don't need to spend more down the road.

Just just my opinion though.

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
That glory 2 2013 is bloody cheap!

Im with the previous poster though - if you can try and upgrade the suspension as later on thats the stuff you will likely be paying for. If not then it is still a great buy.

Why not look second hand? there has been a few 2012/2013 Glory 00 for around 2500-3000 around with very little use. And most people can be bartered down by a good few hundred if you say you have the cash today.

2012 Glory 00 - $2850

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/atwell/bicycles/2012-giant-glory-0/1025694517

driftking

Wheel size expert
That glory 2 2013 is bloody cheap!

Im with the previous poster though - if you can try and upgrade the suspension as later on thats the stuff you will likely be paying for. If not then it is still a great buy.

Why not look second hand? there has been a few 2012/2013 Glory 00 for around 2500-3000 around with very little use. And most people can be bartered down by a good few hundred if you say you have the cash today.

2012 Glory 00 - $2850

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/atwell/bicycles/2012-giant-glory-0/1025694517
not sure if you missed it but He can get a virtually untouched 2012 glory 00 one from the shop for $2400. :)

But yes im still with my previous suggestion. see what the 2013 with upgraded suspension will cost you. (don't listen to all the sales crap, they will try to tell you, you don't need to upgrade it and its really good, but stick to what you know. I believe I suggest a few shocks and forks in my previous post.

Id think if you can get top to a top rear shock (Rc4, vivid RC2) and at least for forks (boxxer R2C2 or equivalent) for an extra $500-750 Id do that.

Before store owners want to whinge about this idea, we are the consumer you're a service its not up to us to serve you, yes we can be loyal but its still not our job to serve you. If someone is thinking "you will never get upgrades for that price", I personally had these upgrades done for this price from a store which I had never purchased from before (so no loyalty before the sale).

you'll find that unless you're committing to massive drop ins and getting huge air and clearing massive jumps etc a DH specific bike is probably overkill and you'll never use it to its potential, capability. you cant ride these bikes around anywhere else without massive effort due to their weight, geometry and setup, and at about 20kg, i thing a 14yo will find it difficult to push a DH rig around in the air, let alone pedal it without massive effort, nor use any more than 50% of the suspension due to size of rider. i would recommend something more rideable (more versatile) and lighter like a an AM or Enduro style bike with 160 travel or even a 140mm travel bike.

the DH rigs look the business and are awesome bikes if you use it to its potential , but the bike dont maketh the rider, ie you'll have more fun and pick up skills quicker and ride better on a lighter bike than a newby on a massively specced and blinged heavy DH rig.

i am in my late 30's weigh about 85kg and have ridden a Glory for a few years now. i am not using this bike to its pottential due to skill level and also local terrain, ie 8 inch travel bike is just overkill for most of Perth tracks. I am about to change over to something like a Giant Trance, Trek Remedy or a Norco Range/Sight, as i KNOW I will be able to ride one of these bikes faster, better and with less effort, doing the same stuff i'm doing on my Glory.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not sure if you missed it but He can get a virtually untouched 2012 glory 00 one from the shop for $2400. :)

But yes im still with my previous suggestion. see what the 2013 with upgraded suspension will cost you. (don't listen to all the sales crap, they will try to tell you, you don't need to upgrade it and its really good, but stick to what you know. I believe I suggest a few shocks and forks in my previous post.

Id think if you can get top to a top rear shock (Rc4, vivid RC2) and at least for forks (boxxer R2C2 or equivalent) for an extra $500-750 Id do that.

Before store owners want to whinge about this idea, we are the consumer you're a service its not up to us to serve you, yes we can be loyal but its still not our job to serve you. If someone is thinking "you will never get upgrades for that price", I personally had these upgrades done for this price from a store which I had never purchased from before (so no loyalty before the sale).
I disagree, a 14 year old on his first bike, the suspension spec that the bike comes with will be fine. Both the fork and shock come with both LS and Rebound adjustment, does he really need the spend the extra coin on suspension that he wont know how to use? And when have bike store owners ever complained at taking more money??

driftking

Wheel size expert
I disagree, a 14 year old on his first bike, the suspension spec that the bike comes with will be fine. Both the fork and shock come with both LS and Rebound adjustment, does he really need the spend the extra coin on suspension that he wont know how to use? And when have bike store owners ever complained at taking more money??
Its about longevity, this bike will more than likely be a long term purchase, he could ride this bike comfortably for 3-5years. The LSC and rebound will soon get very basic, its fine for a new rider but in a years time if not sooner he will more than likely want more control of what is happening, it will save quite a significant amount of money to do to it now.new riders tend to pick up things quick and soon find they want more from the bike.

Its not that hard to workout the fork really, plenty of explanation online and its very simple really, he can always set and leave the extra ones as RS Reccomendations then just use LSC and rebound till e understands the other.

Its not them complaining about taking more money, I don't think I ever said that, just thy don't like it because Its what it takes, replacing parts means they are left with these lower end parts which are hard to shift, they also take time switching out the parts, they don't make a lot of the parts either, they don't really get massive extra amounts of cash it pretty much comes out minimal. You get trade in price then the small extra but they would much prefer the less work then 1year later sell 2-3k worth of suspension to the returning customer.

It sounds like you own a store? If so its hard to take your advice 100% as you may be a little skewed to your opinion.

When I bought my bike the guy tried to convince me the shock was good and then He figured I wouldn't budge on the upgrade he tried to convince me to buy the upgrade separate so I can have a spare shock. He actually said they dont make a lot from these upgrades so they really don't like doing them.

Last edited:
Wow, a 14yo, 1st serious bike and whining a brand Spanker $2.5k DH rig is not upto spec and wants to spend more mummy's and daddy's $$$ just to puff the chest out in front of other 14 yo kids in the school yard and show off the bling mummy and daddy paid for.

When you get your first $8/hr job, have a crack at actually saving that kind of money, you'd appreciate a $1200 5yo dual susp bike and be grateful for it rather than whining about the spec difference between a new glory 1, 0, 00.

Get your hand off it and go ride a bike.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Wow, a 14yo, 1st serious bike and whining a brand Spanker $2.5k DH rig is not upto spec and wants to spend more mummy's and daddy's $$$ just to puff the chest out in front of other 14 yo kids in the school yard and show off the bling mummy and daddy paid for.

When you get your first $8/hr job, have a crack at actually saving that kind of money, you'd appreciate a $1200 5yo dual susp bike and be grateful for it rather than whining about the spec difference between a new glory 1, 0, 00.

Get your hand off it and go ride a bike.
The OP isn't whinging about spec at all, he purely asked for suggestions about bikes for his budget.
Its a bit wrong for you to make assumptions that its his mum and dads money. He might not have an official job but he could have saved his butt off or even if it is mum and dads money how do you know its not a worthy gift or he didn't earn a gift in some way. If you had money to give your kids nice things you would, wouldn't you?

He came on said he has X cash to spend its not upto us to judge how he got that money but for us to give him advice On what's best. Bottom line For his money its best to upgrade now than later, his 14 this bike will be a long term purchase. If he plans on buying a new bike next year fair enough get entry level and upgrade later.

The ther direction is obviously second hand which you should get a nice spec bike anyway.

OP have you checked out the forsale threads on here?

Last edited:

Puppet Master

Likes Dirt
Where are you based? If you're not local to "for the riders" then you won't be able to buy the Glory from them, unless you take a road trip. Giant can only be bought in store. for $2500 you can get a brand new 2013 Kona Operator, or most of the way to a 2014 Glory 2. Spec wise and weight wise you're better of with the Operator. As has been said before if you buy new then you get the full Warranty. If you buy 2nd hand you don't. If you buy an ex demo or ex team bike then you may get warranty if you are the "1st owner" (as in no-one has previously bought the bike)

Let us all know which city/town/suburb you live in, someone may be able to suggest a good LBS that can help.

For the sake of transparency I work in an LBS. We do upgrades and custom builds on a regular basis, we make less money than on stock bikes, but the customer gets what they want... and we like to play with shiny bike bits :bounce:

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its about longevity, this bike will more than likely be a long term purchase, he could ride this bike comfortably for 3-5years. The LSC and rebound will soon get very basic, its fine for a new rider but in a years time if not sooner he will more than likely want more control of what is happening, it will save quite a significant amount of money to do to it now.new riders tend to pick up things quick and soon find they want more from the bike.

Its not that hard to workout the fork really, plenty of explanation online and its very simple really, he can always set and leave the extra ones as RS Reccomendations then just use LSC and rebound till e understands the other.

Its not them complaining about taking more money, I don't think I ever said that, just thy don't like it because Its what it takes, replacing parts means they are left with these lower end parts which are hard to shift, they also take time switching out the parts, they don't make a lot of the parts either, they don't really get massive extra amounts of cash it pretty much comes out minimal. You get trade in price then the small extra but they would much prefer the less work then 1year later sell 2-3k worth of suspension to the returning customer.

It sounds like you own a store? If so its hard to take your advice 100% as you may be a little skewed to your opinion.

When I bought my bike the guy tried to convince me the shock was good and then He figured I wouldn't budge on the upgrade he tried to convince me to buy the upgrade separate so I can have a spare shock. He actually said they dont make a lot from these upgrades so they really don't like doing them.
For the record I do not own a bike shop or have ever worked in one but I have experienced bike shop people trying to up-sell me on things I didnt need or want. I would consider having a DH bike for 5 years a long time, how long have you had your current bike? What kind of bike is it?