New full face time!

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Hey guys recently had a pretty big stack, off a blind rd gap with punters at the base of down ramp. Otb on my face destroying a proframe and airbrake goggles in the process.

Anywho, now I'm after a new lid. Thinking more heavy duty this time and neck brace(better late than never)

Was thinking discounted
Fox rpc but fitment is tight medium, loose large.
Tld d4 fits great but a bit more than I wanted to spend.
100% aircraft felt OK.
Bell full 9 haven't tried but should be able to try a mates one soon.
Any other suggestions or amine know where to get a cheaper Troy lee designs d4?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Shit, hope the healing is going well.

No recommendations but did the breaking of the chin guard on the Proframe cause any injuries ?

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Shit, hope the healing is going well.

No recommendations but did the breaking of the chin guard on the Proframe cause any injuries ?
Thanks mate.
I think after it broke it pierced through the inside of my bottom lip leaving a fair hole.
I think it was that anyway. Jaw is fine, no damaged teeth just some cuts and grazes around mouth and chin. Got pretty lucky considering

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Damn! That helmet looks like it got caught off guard. How do you rate the protection I gave you in the crash? Good luck with the recovery

Have you considered any of the POC range?

How's the bike after all this?

ozzybmx

Thanks Flip, interesting as we have 3 of them. 1 warranty replaced by Fox as it developed a chin guard crack with no crash.

I read a post a while back (MTBR) where the bloke squarely directed all his facial injuries at the broken plastic from his Proframe.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Making me reconsider one now.. was about to pick one up. Don't have any recommendations, but tagging along as also looking to pick up a DH helm.

Hope the recovery goes well & quick!

Jpez

Down on the left!
I saw a guy cartwheel off into the bush into trees in front of me at at least 40km on a fast straightaway downhill.

His proframe was a mess. Even though he had a concussion and bruises he borrowed another helmet and kept riding. I have no doubt that proframe saved that guy from major trauma.
Im a believer In the proframe. It’s no heavy duty DH lid but it did it’s job very well.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Damn! That helmet looks like it got caught off guard. How do you rate the protection I gave you in the crash? Good luck with the recovery

Have you considered any of the POC range?

How's the bike after all this?
I think it did pretty well, it's a 43ft gap, upramp 3 metres high off rd and I landed on my front wheel then face about halfway at around 25kmh.
Its just the chin guard that scares me a bit, it breaking and stabbing your face.
I'd love to keep running the proframe for ventilation and ease of one handed on/off.
But I mainly ride dh type stuff on an enduro bike, and think I need to step up protection a little.
Bike did well, front wheel misaligned with bars and front disc was creaking after, I tightened bolts ⅛th of a turn and seems fine.

ozzybmx

I think it did pretty well, it's a 43ft gap, upramp 3 metres high off rd and I landed on my front wheel then face about halfway at around 25kmh.
Its just the chin guard that scares me a bit, it breaking and stabbing your face.
Decent crash then ! Don't know what other injuries you had but you don't seem too put off with it :)

I only wear mine on shuttle days so could have got away with a proper full face, will probably go Fox Rampage or similar next for my boys.

Don't get me wrong, the Proframes are a good helmet, definitely better protection than any half lid and if all you got was a hole in your lip instead of a smashed up mouth, jaw or face, its done what it was meant to do.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Decent crash then ! Don't know what other injuries you had but you don't seem too put off with it :)

I only wear mine on shuttle days so could have got away with a proper full face, will probably go Fox Rampage or similar next for my boys.

Don't get me wrong, the Proframes are a good helmet, definitely better protection than any half lid and if all you got was a hole in your lip instead of a smashed up mouth, jaw or face, its done what it was meant to do.
Just some cuts and grazes, and every muscle in my arms, back, neck, chest are super sore when the pain killers wear off.
But yes it did well for what it is for sure.
And for usual trail riding etc I'd be happy to run it, but I think anything high speed, big gaps etc I'd feel safer in something a bit more solid, especially in the chin guard area.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I can’t help recommending a fullface but god damn that’s a full on crash! Glad it wasn’t worse.

Spend up on the TLD if it’s whats most comfy, your noggin’s worth it bud. Glad the proframe did it’s job!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, that's a big stack! like you couldn't have landed any squarer right on your face!
Glad you're ok, mostly anyway.

I guess sometimes it's the luck of the draw how you fall. Lucky you were at least wearing a full-face, might have been pretty crazy without it.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
I can’t help recommending a fullface but god damn that’s a full on crash! Glad it wasn’t worse.

Spend up on the TLD if it’s whats most comfy, your noggin’s worth it bud. Glad the proframe did it’s job!
Thanks mate, good advice!

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Wow, that's a big stack! like you couldn't have landed any squarer right on your face!
Glad you're ok, mostly anyway.

I guess sometimes it's the luck of the draw how you fall. Lucky you were at least wearing a full-face, might have been pretty crazy without it.
Thanks. Yeah it's a big straight jump, and after seeing the guys in the way last second, I grabbed a handful of brakes and rode straight off squarely into the middle of the road.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Go the TLD D4. Sure, it's pricey, but they're worth it.

I've got a ProFrame (4th), and have broken 3 of them so far, really when I should have been wearing the TLD (Greenvalleys and other Freeride tracks), I'd just forgotten to bring my TLD. 1 was a proper stack and no doubt without it I'd be drooling, but the other two failed in pretty low impact falls. The only reason I kept buying them was that there was nothing else at the time comparable.

My TLDs on the other hand, I had a D2 back in the day, it took a number of hits at Oxy and was always in good shape. Then after that I had a D3 for many many years until I replaced it due dropping the bike in the lift line with the helmet on the handlebar :(. It was about 6 years old and had taken a fair few little stacks, so I figured replacement was the best bet, given the bar cracked the chin guard.

Got a another D3 right at the end of their production runs and if I was to buy now, it would be a D4.

I still wear my ProFrame occasionally on trail rides where I'm feeling the desire for a touch more protection, but when that breaks (which will be the next time I have a dirt nap in it), I'll be going a TLD Stage for that lighter duty FF. The Stage is just so much more well built and doesn't break if you look at it. Proven by my other half, who also had 2 ProFrames crack in little stacks, now runs the Stage which has held up to more of those stacks.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Giro Disciple user here ... for my melon head it sits well, hugs my face (excellent padding), not too heavy (1100g?), doesn't move around and ventilates well (Not as good as a proframe but its not a sauna).

I stack a lot and I still know what year it is.

Solely use it for park and shuttle days. Personally wouldn't use anything less than a DH lid for those.
Got a Bell Super DH for other times. Chin bar comes off for cruisy rides.

Speedy recovery!