New trails at Buxton

hulsty

Likes Bikes
Stop rubbing it in, went on Tuesday, unload my bike, rolled 10m and the freehub jammed, game over. Still yet to ride Buxton.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Rode Buxton today, awesome trails built by awesome peeps. Haven't ridden there for a while and massive improvement from last time. Awesomeness +++

toofar22

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Thinking of hitting buxton tomorrow for the first time.

Problem is the emergency.gov website lists a couple of small fires that were active today. Am hoping that the rain and our good CFA volunteers managed to sought these out....

Are there any locals or people who have intimate knowledge of the area able to shed some light on whether I not I should ride elsewhere? These fires may have been small in scale or massive or miles away so I was kind of hoping someone might be able to elaborate.

Cheers

Trav

http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#!/incident/1552382/warning/21600016

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Relax, the cool change has been through. Very few of any emergencies now.

All the fires were small. you were good.

Tomorrow should be good. Enough rain to settle the dust and give traction.

Enjoy it.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Thinking of hitting buxton tomorrow for the first time.

Problem is the emergency.gov website lists a couple of small fires that were active today. Am hoping that the rain and our good CFA volunteers managed to sought these out....

Are there any locals or people who have intimate knowledge of the area able to shed some light on whether I not I should ride elsewhere? These fires may have been small in scale or massive or miles away so I was kind of hoping someone might be able to elaborate.
Scale and distance can change rapidly so irrespective of "local" perceptions re risk, official warnings/advice must prevail.

Suggest everyone get the FireReady phone app for on the go official advice from fire services.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Should be heading out to Buxton for the first time tomorrow around 9am.
Heat is supposed to peak around 4pm, so hoping to be done and dusted around 1-2pm.

Anyone else gonna be out there?

beardi

Likes Dirt
For those wanting to beat the heat, lake mountain is nearby and the trails are also well worth a look. Buxton in the am then LM in the pm - great combo!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Went by myself to Buxton today 'cause others bailed due to having other shit going on... holy CLIMBING.
Nobody warned me about that, haha.

The descent through the ferns toward the end of Acheron Ridge, and the final jumps descent were definitely highlights.
Off Camber wasn't too bad either.
BooBonk was fun for about 5 seconds, then it was all climbing to get back out.

Didn't run down Midget, Friendly Fox or Skinny.

Something to look at next time I guess. Looks to cut out a lot of the Acheron climbing?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Buxton had 40mm of rain last Saturday morning and by the time I rode it on Monday morning it was bone dry. Still fun though, in a fast, chase your mate and switch the skills off kind of way... :behindsofa:

patto12

Squid
Anyone know how the trails are looking for this weekend? A bit of rain last weekend, how do the trails hold up?

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know how the trails are looking for this weekend? A bit of rain last weekend, how do the trails hold up?
I was there last saturday, after a fair bit of heavy rain on friday. A few puddles on the trails, other than that dirt was primo. I would expect a few trees down after all the wind this week though...

When does buxton usually close?
Signs up say the trails will close after queens birthday weekend.