New trails at Buxton

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Rode there today. Dunno if there was some rain last night or what, but no dust, and hard but incredibly slippery in some of the sheltered bits; I binned it in the twisty "Boobook" loop in the middle, lightest of dabs on the rear brake into a corner and *BAM!* locked up, slid out & dumped me on my arse! I like to set my bike up with a slightly playful back end, but that's fucking ridiculous!

The drier bits are typical of trails that haven't been ridden for a while; lots of loose gravelly stuff, which will get swept off with a bit of traffic.

The New Bit splits off as you come around the spur after Spider Gully, a little before the Old New Bit (which is still open & marked as an easier option to end the loop) and launches into a bit of a cow of a climb, complete with a few switchbacks. The decent opens with a few tight berms, one with a pretty brutal log drop & barely accessible B-line on the inside of the corner (the loose stuff will cannon you away from it & toward the log!), before opening into a straighter descent with tabletops, gap jumps & berms, often all side by side for plenty of line selection, finally dropping back in at the top of the Old New Bit to finish the lap.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Saw posted on Farcebook yesterday that Buxton will be closed for the season from June 11th (the Thursday after Queens Birthday) until September 19th. Be nice to the place & stay off it while it's closed.
The way the signs on the gate and the noticeboard in the carpark are worded, stating that it's subject to seasonal closure between the Thursday after Queen's Birthday & the Saturday at the start of Term 3 (September) school holidays, suggests that it's going to be an annual thing & was not just a once off for this year.

dunndog

Eats Squid
The way the signs on the gate and the noticeboard in the carpark are worded, stating that it's subject to seasonal closure between the Thursday after Queen's Birthday & the Saturday at the start of Term 3 (September) school holidays, suggests that it's going to be an annual thing & was not just a once off for this year.
Pretty sure it had similar closures last winter unless I'm mistaken?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep, last year storms blew trees over, which ripped big chunks out of some trails. This year they just said fuck it, close it for the winter & let nature do its thing (or words to that effect), and it appears to be an ongoing procedure in future years.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was out there today and it was PACKED. So good to see so many people out getting rad on their bikes!
Trails were fast!

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was out there today and it was PACKED. So good to see so many people out getting rad on their bikes!
Trails were fast!
Was out there, too. Top conditions for it.

We got stopped on the final descent, a poor fella had found himself some mischief and was getting carried out on a spine board. Healing vibes to him.

VW, what were you riding?

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was out there, too. Top conditions for it.

We got stopped on the final descent, a poor fella had found himself some mischief and was getting carried out on a spine board. Healing vibes to him.

VW, what were you riding?
Giant Anthem 27.5