New XT.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Reading through the European press release, it seems that the shifters are available in I-spec II and I-spec-B configurations, so they'll be compatible with existing brake levers. Curiously, they do not mention stand-alone mountings.

EDIT: The promo pic posted on Shimano Australia's Farcebook page shows a shifter with a stand-alone clamp, so that means there are three mounting options. :)

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
With a 40 or 42T cog there's ample diameter to dish it back towards the spokes, without fouling on the spokes, allowing for the use of a standard 8/9/10s freehub. On a road hub the smaller diameter of the =<28t cog would cause the cog/chain to foul on the spokes.
Ditto, thanks Snock and duck!

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems like an early announcement, thought they'd announce it on May 1st. It'll get launched after Le Tour is done, maybe a week after.

Just wondering if Trek will swap back to Fox/Shimano Think Giant will stay RS/SRAM for a few years.

Edit: Duck, have you checked webshop? Given Flow's article and pics on it I wouldn't be surprised if the XT cassette is already in stock http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/shimano-xt-11-speed-with-new-11-42-cassette/

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I reckon we'll see this on some Giants - they did cop some stick about not having any Shimano-specced model in some ranges this year (Trance Advanced specifically springs to mind).

Although not a volume-seller in the shop I'm in, we do move a few of these, and we did have prospective customers say Giant had lost a sale because of the lack of XT (or Shimano in general) model.

Last edited:

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
I reckon we'll see this on some Giants - they did cop some stick about not having any Shimano-specced model in some ranges this year (Trance Advanced specifically springs to mind).

Although not a volume-seller in the shop I'm in, we do move a few of these, and we did have prospective customers say Giant had lost a sale because of the lack of XT (or Shimano in general) model.
I'm one of them. A Trance Advanced with full XT is what I'm after.....

Last edited:

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
I can see this becoming very popular on the mid range 4-6k carbon bikes and top range 3-5k alloy bikes.
This is a good result for us Shimano fan boys,
The black looks pretty mint to, the stealth black bike lovers will be all over this one.

Is this a quick reaction to the SRAM GX release a few weeks ago or just part of the Shimano groupset down filter?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Standard Shimano trickle-down. The only time they've departed from that was when XTR went 10-sp, they brought in mid-model upgrade 10-sp. kits parallel to the existing 9-sp. for XT & SLX at the same time. That was definitely a SRAM catch-up move, 'cos XX had been out for a year at least & was trickling down to X0 & X9.

We'll see 11-sp. SLX around this time next year. :wink:

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Standard Shimano trickle-down. The only time they've departed from that was when XTR went 10-sp, they brought in mid-model upgrade 10-sp. kits parallel to the existing 9-sp. for XT & SLX at the same time. That was definitely a SRAM catch-up move, 'cos XX had been out for a year at least & was trickling down to X0 & X9.

We'll see 11-sp. SLX around this time next year. :wink:
Or even sooner considering how fast 11spd 105 came out. I reckon just at the end of the year, we'll have SLX 11 speed.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I doubt it'll show that soon. 11-sp 105 & XTR were shown around this time last year but not actually released until mid-year (or later in the case of XTR).

They also showed the new-generation Tiagra (the group down from 105, for the non-roadies) just last week.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Damn.,... I had been waiting and finally caved ( this week!) and bought the XTR shifter. Looks like the XT has more mounting options.

I am surprised people refuse to by a sram equipped bike. Their gear is quality.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not until the year after Saint goes 11-sp. But I have no idea if that's on the cards or not. Given that they're primarily DH groups that don't need a huge gear spread, I doubt they'll go 11 any time soon.
Another thing going against the idea is the 11-sp freehub thing for the smaller diameter cassettes; Saint & Zee cassettes are road models, so they go on the existing hubs fine. XTR & XT 11-sp. get away with fitting on the 8/9/10-sp. hub due to the diameter allowing the inner sprocket to be dished back without fouling on the spokes, and that's not possible with a tighter-ranged road-style cassette. The longer freehub for road 11-sp. dictates the R/H flange gets pushed inboard, which then affects wheel stiffness.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Not until the year after Saint goes 11-sp. But I have no idea if that's on the cards or not. Given that they're primarily DH groups that don't need a huge gear spread, I doubt they'll go 11 any time soon.
I wouldn't think Saint would anytime soon but Zee is a great go to group for AM builds.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Did I read steel chainring for the 1X option. That is not a bad thing. The teeth profile don't look particularly narrow wide though.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Did I read steel chainring for the 1X option. That is not a bad thing. The teeth profile don't look particularly narrow wide though.
Or tall........judging by the bcd, they're not wanting after market jobbies being fitted either.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Steel teeth embedded in a carbon base ring (vs XTR's Ti-carbon composite rings). As with XTR, they're not N/W, but taller & squarer than shifting teeth and have a subtle hook to the leading edge of each tooth to hold the chain in.

stirk

Burner
I was thinking the same thing with that chain ring bolt arrangement but the after market manufacturers would easily redesign.

Why does Shimano persist with gear shift indicators on the high end gear?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I was thinking the same thing with that chain ring bolt arrangement but the after market manufacturers would easily redesign.

Why does Shimano persist with gear shift indicators on the high end gear?
Bit of a chunt retooling for a one off design, when every other NW compatible crankset comes in either a 104 or 120 X-Y configuration. Even SRAM, with their licensing of the Xsync, kept a sensible bolt pattern.