New XT.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep, cassettes can be used on any system - shifter and deraileur have to match though
I've never used, or actually looked at SRAM 11sp, but just assumed the cassette mounted completely differently on the driver hub body. Showing my ignorance? :behindsofa:

Warp

Likes Dirt
I've never used, or actually looked at SRAM 11sp, but just assumed the cassette mounted completely differently on the driver hub body. Showing my ignorance? :behindsofa:
Yeah, good question. I've read people have used 11sp XTR cassettes with SRAM stuff and the other way around... but I have always wondered how do both manufacturers tackle cramming 11sp into the same space. Simply same spacing? I thought shimano moves the 11sp cog further into the wheel. No idea how it is done on SRAM.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Skinnier chain over 10spd. Afaik, sram is XD driver to get down to 10T, shimano remains traditional 11T so no need for weird hubs...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yes, sorry, I didn't mean you could swap the casette to the same freehub. For people who like shimano , but like the 10t idea, they can run it with shimano. Also means you can run 11s shimnao on one bike and SRAM on the other, and if you have a rear wheel fail, you can just swap the other one over.

Lol, I did assume you blokes were bright you know ( ok, except for knuckles)

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yeah, good question. I've read people have used 11sp XTR cassettes with SRAM stuff and the other way around... but I have always wondered how do both manufacturers tackle cramming 11sp into the same space. Simply same spacing? I thought shimano moves the 11sp cog further into the wheel. No idea how it is done on SRAM.
They both get the spacing by having an extra gear closer to the spokes - it might be something like 2/3rds of the space, but they haven't done the same thing as when we went to 10speed, thus 10s chains still work on 11 speed drivetrains

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano 11-sp. fits on normal 8/9/10-sp. hub, firstly due to the top sprocket remaining 11T (it's the 10T of SRAM 11-sp that dictates the XD driver), secondly by dishing the big sprocket back from the cassette spider to gain the extra sprocket width without increasing the width of the cassette core. Sprocket spacing is the same, so -with the appropriate hub treatment - a Shimano cassette will work in a SRAM system.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
This website says that the derailleur ratios are different between Shimano 10s & 11s mountain:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science...ce-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Not a lot different, mind you (1.2 versus 1.1 respectively)...maybe not enough to stop cross-compatibility working?

Cable pull on the new 11s mountain is now different (3.4mm of pull per click on 10s, 3.6mm of pull per click on 11s). Which makes sense. Less pull, more ratio at the other end.
Something intersting to be found in that is that Shimano 11-sp. uses the same leverage ratio as SRAM 7/8/9-sp. anyone looking for clutched 9-sp. chuck in a XT 11-sp rear derailleur!
9 speed SRAM shifter with an 11 speed Xt rear d will work? Anyone else verify this?
If Duck is selling it, I'm buying it.....

In case you missed it, SRAM 9sp shifters play well with shimano 10sp clutched dérailleurs.
Abridged relevant extract from the linked article:
Shimano 7/8/9 + road 10-sp: 1.7
Shimano MTB 10-sp: 1.2
Shimano MTB 11-sp: 1.1
Shimano road 11-sp: 1.4
SRAM 7/8/9-Sp ("1:1"):1.1
SRAM 10-sp/road 11-sp: 1.3
SRAM MTB 11-sp: 1.12

NOTES: The ratio number is the distance the derailleur moves per millimetre of cable pulled by the shifter. Shorter ratio = longer lever stroke for a given shift distance. The highlighted bits show that SRAM 11-sp. drailleurs can also be paired with SRAM 9-sp shifters. Shimano and SRAM use the same sprocket spacing for all ranges of cassettes except road 11-sp (but even then it's pretty close):
7/8-sp: 4.8mm
9-sp: 4.35mm
10-sp: 3.95mm
MTB 11-sp: 3.9mm
SRAM Road 11-sp: 3.72mm
Shimano Rd. 11-sp: 3.69mm

Warp

Likes Dirt
Abridged relevant extract from the linked article:
Shimano 7/8/9 + road 10-sp: 1.7
Shimano MTB 10-sp: 1.2
Shimano MTB 11-sp: 1.1
Shimano road 11-sp: 1.4
SRAM 7/8/9-Sp ("1:1"):1.1
SRAM 10-sp/road 11-sp: 1.3
Duckmeister... Any idea if the new FD is compatible with old 10sp shifters and 785/685 cranksets.

I will make my current XC bike 1x11 30x11-40 or so and my trail bike (that will go to live in Mexico where there are some hills to climb and descend and that I will use one month a year) I want to make it 2X10.
I have read glowing reviews on the new XTR FD (side-pull) and I would like to know if I can install that type FD (XT in this case) on my Trance 2014 by just getting a new FD.

Thanks for any ideas, you seem to be the person to ask to!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Duckmeister... Any idea if the new FD is compatible with old 10sp shifters and 785/685 cranksets.

I will make my current XC bike 1x11 30x11-40 or so and my trail bike (that will go to live in Mexico where there are some hills to climb and descend and that I will use one month a year) I want to make it 2X10.
I have read glowing reviews on the new XTR FD (side-pull) and I would like to know if I can install that type FD (XT in this case) on my Trance 2014 by just getting a new FD.
Front derailleurs as a general rule are not as fussy as rears - just look at how many bikes over the years have had a Shimano FD in an otherwise SRAM system. I haven't heard any mention of altered leverage on the new FDs.

The side swing derailleur requires the cable coming from the front rather than top or bottom, so will only work on some frames, and I don't think the Trance will work too well for it. There is a cable port on the left side of the downtube reserved for internal brake hose routing (factory-spec is external), but I think it's a bit low to allow a smooth crossover of the cable to feed into the derailleur.

Warp

Likes Dirt
The side swing derailleur requires the cable coming from the front rather than top or bottom, so will only work on some frames, and I don't think the Trance will work too well for it. There is a cable port on the left side of the downtube reserved for internal brake hose routing (factory-spec is external), but I think it's a bit low to allow a smooth crossover of the cable to feed into the derailleur.
Thanks, mate. Good point on routing. It could work as the stop for the cable is in the FD itself, but it will look for shizzle. Something could be worked out but it won't be elegant.
I could route the cable by installing guides with the water bottle bolts somehow, but it needs something to be rigged.

I need to make the decision if running it as a 2X or 1X. Thanks!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another option I just thought of could be to move the brake line internal & then use the external guides for the FD cable - admittedly not as pretty as fully internal. That'd give you a better crossover to the FD though.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Another option I just thought of could be to move the brake line internal & then use the external guides for the FD cable - admittedly not as pretty as fully internal. That'd give you a better crossover to the FD though.
Good one.
Internal routing for the brake on the Trance is not that bad. Actually, just goes inside the downtube then runs over the chainstay.

Thanks!

Minlak

custom titis
I actually drilled out the internal housing for the Trek Fuel EX9 and ran the full cable outer for the rear derailleur.