New XT.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I say the 2mm isn't the issue then, given I tried removing one DS spacer after initially setting it up lined up properly. Just an idiosyncrasy, it seems. :noidea:
Road 11-sp. will also drop on backpedalling when on big ring (taking into account the tighter chainline of road cranks, probably somewhere between the two rings of a MTB 2x) and big rear sprocket, but 10-sp. is fine. So I'm guessing it's a combination of the wider inward offset of the cassette against the chainring/s and sprocket tooth shaping which is not optimised for going backwards & tends to shove the chain off.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I say the 2mm isn't the issue then, given I tried removing one DS spacer after initially setting it up lined up properly. Just an idiosyncrasy, it seems. :noidea:
removing a DS spacer will do exactly 3/8ths of fuck all on a sram crank. the NDS bearing is what locates the crank, all the DS does is move the bearing closer to the spider.

moorey

call me Mia
removing a DS spacer will do exactly 3/8ths of fuck all on a sram crank. the NDS bearing is what locates the crank, all the DS does is move the bearing closer to the spider.
It does if you add the spacer to nds side, as I did.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
So I took my 10 speed for it's last lap around Manly Dam at lunch time.
After lunch I checked the delivery status and parts were delivered. Pretty damn quick delivery from Evans. Installed it, and it's now up and running.
Adjusting the chain length took a few goes to get it right. I still have to get a quick link for the 11 speed chain, something I forgot to order.

Feel rather disappointed with the feel of the new XTR shifters, it feels like clunky like my 10 speed XT not buttery smooth like the 10 speed XTR.
Anyhow tested it around the block and it shifts well. It'll be next week before I can take it out on a trail run.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
XT M8000 shifter indicator cover plates

Can anyone tell me where the best place in Aus to buy the XT 1 x 11 shifter cover plates please? Right side required.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Can anyone tell me where the best place in Aus to buy the XT 1 x 11 shifter cover plates please? Right side required.
This almost certainly doesn't help you if you've already got the shifter, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 1x11 shifter that arrived today actually had the cover plate in the box. I was expecting to have to pay silly amounts of postage for a $1 part, but thankfully Shimano have managed to sort themselves out in the end. No idea why they failed at this so badly from the outset.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
This almost certainly doesn't help you if you've already got the shifter, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 1x11 shifter that arrived today actually had the cover plate in the box. I was expecting to have to pay silly amounts of postage for a $1 part, but thankfully Shimano have managed to sort themselves out in the end. No idea why they failed at this so badly from the outset.
Thanks for the heads up. I've bought a new drive train out of Japan. Judging by the price it's old stock. I therefore doubt very much that I will be so lucky. I have just bought a cover plate through UK ebay, if I am lucky enough to have an additional cover once the bits arrive, I sell it on. Plenty of takers I'm sure.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up. I've bought a new drive train out of Japan. Judging by the price it's old stock. I therefore doubt very much that I will be so lucky. I have just bought a cover plate through UK ebay, if I am lucky enough to have an additional cover once the bits arrive, I sell it on. Plenty of takers I'm sure.
What type of price are you talking? I'm just not sure why there'd be anyone trying to shift 'old stock' cheap - the M8000 drivetrain is still the current version, so it's not like it's become out of date and lost value. Aside from the Di2 version, there's no replacement for that drivetrain in sight either, so no need to try to run out old stock.

FWIW, my shifter was ~$60 from Pushy's.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
What type of price are you talking? I'm just not sure why there'd be anyone trying to shift 'old stock' cheap - the M8000 drivetrain is still the current version, so it's not like it's become out of date and lost value. Aside from the Di2 version, there's no replacement for that drivetrain in sight either, so no need to try to run out old stock.

FWIW, my shifter was ~$60 from Pushy's.
Upgrade kit specifically, I got the M8000 Shifter, cassette, mech and chain for $280 del. That's the best price I could find.

Last edited: