Newly Released Suspension & Components General

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've tried three Push shocks and their fork coil system. The only thing that is left from those purchases is a Push sticker on the inside of my shed door.....
Yeah but if you get the new fork through Cyclinic you'll get a sticker and a tiny bag of jelly beans. Wait - should this be in the Bargain Buys thread?

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not digging the NUT on the end of the axle. Should have gone with a little end bolt like so many other forks over the years.
Also, only 2 (M6?) Bolts holding on the axle castings, and no visible knurling on the bottom of the stanchion to resist the vasting twisting against the stanchion.
And only 2 bolts holding on each leg guard... they have left plenty of room for the updated gen 2 release in the future

angryasian

Likes Bikes
I'm not digging the NUT on the end of the axle. Should have gone with a little end bolt like so many other forks over the years.
Also, only 2 (M6?) Bolts holding on the axle castings, and no visible knurling on the bottom of the stanchion to resist the vasting twisting against the stanchion.
And only 2 bolts holding on each leg guard... they have left plenty of room for the updated gen 2 release in the future
The double clamps on the dropout won't be an issue. There is little force that would cause that to slip in rotation?
I don't think hex lock is required in this design. The axle is securely clamped across both dropouts.

The benefit of Hexlock is that is has flat surfaces (the hex) that are a clearance fit into the dropout. So you can make this clearance relatively tight.
The sideways preload is a separate mechanism. It's a good design for a conventional MTB fork.

Contrast that with a thru axle that has a fairly loose fitting thread on one end and a preloading clamp on the other. That type of axle does almost nothing to help with stiffness.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The double clamps on the dropout won't be an issue. There is little force that would cause that to slip in rotation?
I don't think hex lock is required in this design. The axle is securely clamped across both dropouts.

The benefit of Hexlock is that is has flat surfaces (the hex) that are a clearance fit into the dropout. So you can make this clearance relatively tight.
The sideways preload is a separate mechanism. It's a good design for a conventional MTB fork.

Contrast that with a thru axle that has a fairly loose fitting thread on one end and a preloading clamp on the other. That type of axle does almost nothing to help with stiffness.
Hexlock is a great idea. Long time Manitou fan here. Love my Dorado, and can't beat the Circus for value/performance.

I'm just wondering why go with a nut instead of an end bolt on the axle. I've never had an mtb fork with a thru axle that required a socket to remove the axle...

Preload bolt looks better than preload nut, but it probably comes down to the thread being outside the clamping area in the lowers, so slightly stronger/stiffer axle this way

angryasian

Likes Bikes
Hexlock is a great idea. Long time Manitou fan here. Love my Dorado, and can't beat the Circus for value/performance.

I'm just wondering why go with a nut instead of an end bolt on the axle. I've never had an mtb fork with a thru axle that required a socket to remove the axle...

Preload bolt looks better than preload nut, but it probably comes down to the thread being outside the clamping area in the lowers, so slightly stronger/stiffer axle this way
Yup - I think you're right. Just a better interface for the axle.

Same as a moto fork assembly - You tighten the pinch bolts on the right leg to fix the axle in place before you do the nut up on the left to apply preload. Finish off with pinch bolts. So you won't need a socket to remove the axle, although you will need it for proper preload when you reassemble.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Not new but a limited colour run. If they did this to the Mezzer my credit card is going to have to be hidden.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Might have been mentioned already not sure but this is cool. The pinion gearbox now has the smart shift for non e-bikes now. Gone is the grip shift for normal paddles and gears can be changed stationary, peddling and under load.
so most of the sticking points of the old system have been erased.
Not sure I hate the old rear mech enough to buy in but would love to try the new system.