Next Giant Reign model

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
Hey all,
as this year they didn't really update the frame on the reign, guessing they will next year?? any thoughts? boost, short chain stays??? watch reckon?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude in a giant shop was telling me the new ladies hail/heil whatever is the basis for next reign. Who knows though.

linkl8r

Likes Dirt
Giant generally have a three year product cycle, last model coming out in 2015. So I reckon we will see one later this year as 2018 bikes start to be released. It will definitely be boost, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved to 170mm up front across the range.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
Hey all,
as this year they didn't really update the frame on the reign, guessing they will next year?? any thoughts? boost, short chain stays??? watch reckon?
Due to the Maestro design if they went shorter chainstays they would have to make it 1x only, otherwise it would foul the front derailleur. It wouldn't be a bad thing to finally remove it though.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Look at the 2017 Trance (140 rear 150 front travel) and add 20mm of travel to it. The 2017 Trance is a better pedaller and turner than previous incarnations and I don't see why Giant wouldn't make similar improvements to a Reign, which it needs. It's still a trail slug and it doesn't shine as a bomber, so it's caught in the twilight zone of big and little or somewhere in between.

will2

Likes Dirt
gee, I hope they increase the stroke of the shock, I had a horrid time trying to sort mine out.

Ended up going to a Cane Creek Coil, a whole world of difference.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bumpity-bump.

Just popping into the media the last day or so has been news of the new Reign.

It's NOT 29", staying instead with 27.5", tweaked Maestro geometry similar to the Anthem and Trance released last year with longer shock stroke for the same wheel travel, so answering the criticism from the previous post about tuneability. Boosted axle spacing and -the shame of it - no provision for a front derailleur.....

teK--

Eats Squid
The specs look ok but hardly compels owners of the earlier ones to upgrade especially since you can't carry a lot of parts across. Especially the colours.. unless you can afford to buy the top shelf advanced 0.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Biggest thing by the look of it is the straightened seat tube, 1 pc rocker and and trunion mount any the rear triangle looks to have more meat on it incl diff profile tubes, pretty much the same as all the other 2017 revised frames. Anybody know if that rocker can be retrofitted to older models?

teK--

Eats Squid
Biggest thing by the look of it is the straightened seat tube, 1 pc rocker and and trunion mount any the rear triangle looks to have more meat on it incl diff profile tubes, pretty much the same as all the other 2017 revised frames. Anybody know if that rocker can be retrofitted to older models?
I was thinking of stealing the rocker link for my 2016 but then read that the seatpost pivot is in a lower position than previous. Would probably do all sorts of weird shit to clearances and leverage curves. That plus I'd have to get a new shock too.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Anybody know if that rocker can be retrofitted to older models?
I was thinking of stealing the rocker link for my 2016 but then read that the seatpost pivot is in a lower position than previous. Would probably do all sorts of weird shit to clearances and leverage curves. That plus I'd have to get a new shock too.
I highly doubt the rocker is compatible with the older frame. Different pivot location, different leverage ratio, plus trunnion mount means new shock as well 'cos the old one won't fit.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giant frames always seem to have cheap looking paint jobs, the example above does not look like an expensive bike