Next Giant Reign model

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
They look alot better than the over the top crap intense has been putting out and charging a premium for.

The green one really tickles my pickle, deffinately think the framesshape is an improvement over the previous gen. Looking similar to the trance isn't exactly a bad thing imo, those bikes are sick.

teK--

Eats Squid
"Cheap" in what regard? The finish durability certainly suggests otherwise.
I be think he was more talking about the graphics. Looks like they hired an ex-Ibis artist.

Can't agree with your statement about finish durability. My 2016 paint chips and flakes off at the sight of a rock or tool. My 2012 paint still looks new bar some scratches.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I be think he was more talking about the graphics. Looks like they hired an ex-Ibis artist.
Precisely this. I can't comment on the paint itself, but the design is not to my taste.
I know the ride trumps all, but that looks mediocre at best.

Regarding the spewy looking Intenses, I agree wholeheartedly. Takes a brave soul to buy one of those

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It's long! Reach and wheelbase is significantly longer than anything else I've seen (apart from that freaky Mondraker). Surprised they've got a 50mm stem with that much reach, you'd think that 35mm would work better.

It seems the trend towards 'slacker' and 'lower' has plateaued off, but where does it end with 'longer'?

teK--

Eats Squid
It's long! Reach and wheelbase is significantly longer than anything else I've seen (apart from that freaky Mondraker). Surprised they've got a 50mm stem with that much reach, you'd think that 35mm would work better.

It seems the trend towards 'slacker' and 'lower' has plateaued off, but where does it end with 'longer'?
So much so that I don't even know if I'd ride a small or medium on the new Reign, if I bought one again. Running 35mm on a medium frame now. Might need a 0mm stem on the new Medium lol.

I've noticed quite a few of the pro riders on the new Reign run their saddle all the way forward to suitable proper reach when seated. Which is really a bandaid solution since that puts your knees in the wrong position relative to pedals.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
So much so that I don't even know if I'd ride a small or medium on the new Reign, if I bought one again. Running 35mm on a medium frame now. Might need a 0mm stem on the new Medium lol.

I've noticed quite a few of the pro riders on the new Reign run their saddle all the way forward to suitable proper reach when seated. Which is really a bandaid solution since that puts your knees in the wrong position relative to pedals.
It's entirely possible that Giant are the pioneers of "too long" and we've finally seen a limit. Maybe the next big thing will be short, high and steep.

By the way, it really annoys me how Giant never publish BB heights - only BB drop.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Drop doesn't change when you put different tyres on....

And given drop is measured from axle height, you can calculate the BB height without that much difficulty.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Drop doesn't change when you put different tyres on....

And given drop is measured from axle height, you can calculate the BB height without that much difficulty.
Unless you work in the marketing department of Giant Industrial Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

What's next, pumping our own juice at the servo...?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Dunno if bad taste can be equated to an appearance of cheapness though. While I agree that some recent colour schemes have been a bit chunder-inducing, "cheap" is not the first word that would come to mind.

I'd say the only thing that makes a paint-job look cheap is the low-gloss or matt trend, which is not by any stretch restricted to Giant.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
you can calculate the BB height without that much difficulty.
Then why don't they do it like every other bike manufacturer, who always list BB height as well as drop? Obviously tyres make a difference, but on spec sheets other brands will always mention the tyre width the BB height is based around, which is what comes stock.

teK--

Eats Squid
Then why don't they do it like every other bike manufacturer, who always list BB height as well as drop? Obviously tyres make a difference, but on spec sheets other brands will always mention the tyre width the BB height is based around, which is what comes stock.
The problem then is different BB height for some regional markets if they are speccing different tyres. It would be very confusing if official BB height figures were out in the wild and they were different regionally.

wavike

Likes Dirt
It would be great if there was a resource/calculator like the gear calculator where you would put in wheel size, BB drop and tire size to get a BB height.