Nicolas Vouilloz returns to BOS engineering!

nicho

Sacré bleu!
  • Nicolas Vouilloz returns to BOS
  • A family reunited once more ...

Their association is still in our memory and the quality of their work together helped define downhill racing, not to mention their five World Championship and three World Cup titles. Today, Nicolas Vouilloz and Olivier Bossard face a new challenge together: to develop the new range of BOS forks and rear shocks.

Nicolas Vouilloz and Olivier Bossard started working together
in 1997 at the heart of Team Sunn. Back then, Nicolas
was already the fastest rider on the planet, but from his French team he saw the potential of going still further in the search for perfection. Of course, over the last three years, Sunn themselves have revolutionised the discipline with ultra-sophisticated factory bikes designed by Olivier Bossard.
Then, Nicolas set up on his own and called upon Olivier’s new company to design and bring to market his own downhill
bike.
V Process became one of BOS Engineering’s first customers. It was only when the most titled mountain bike racer in history retired that a different opportunity came along. After winning one last title in 2002, Vouilloz moved to cars. Although BOS is also very involved in rally, the two men’s paths stayed parallel, each working with a different team.

In 2005, BOS dipped its toes back into mountain biking with the launch of its first fork upgrade kits, then with a new rear shock in 2007. Nico also appeared in a couple of downhill marathons, then there was talk of returning to top level short course downhill, which led to him taking part in the World Cup. But, although many were already dreaming about a new collaboration, their paths still didn’t cross ...

Then, at last, the inevitable finally happened!

A few weeks ago, Nico got his old 2002 BOS factory forks and shocks out from the back of his garage and tinkered about with them to see if they would go on his Lapierre just as an experiment. Even with five-year old oil and their old-school geometry, they both worked ...better than the 2007 mass-produced stuff!

A couple of phone calls later and the answer was clear: BOS decided to commit strongly to mountain biking, to produce a downhill fork which will be followed by other models.
Nicolas is still passionate about mountain biking and R&D, and wants to get involved ... so the team’s back together again, not for a re-run but to take on a new challenge:
to give the public a range of suspension to match the best that the BOS/Vouilloz team have produced in the past.

Nicolas will be the official BOS test rider for at least three years to come. His involvement won’t just be to promote the image, he knows that his task is to eliminate fractions of a second at the helm of a real two-wheeled F1 machine. To produce high-performance suspension at this level but still accessible to amateur riders is a massive challenge. Nicolas will be closely involved with BOS in the development of the whole range of BOS products, working with Olivier Bossard and Arnaud Jacob, the head of R&D at BOS and long-time friend of Olivier and Nico from the Sunn days.

There’s one guy at least who’s thrilled about the news: Fabien
Pedemanaud, who is also, of course, an official BOS test rider for 2008, and who is hoping to benefit from his new teammate’s work and advice!

http://www.bos-engineering.com / tel : 05 34 25 33 66
Contact : Jean-Christophe Charrier - jc.charrier@bos-engineering.com

NEWS submitted By Rouler IMports.

Attachments

nicho

Sacré bleu!
NOt sure if you all understand that Bos is looking at becomig one of the big players in shock and fork market.
I found that very exciting. Maybe even oem on some bikes...

Who knows.....

nicho

Pixsoul

Regulating n00bs
NOt sure if you all understand that Bos is looking at becomig one of the big players in shock and fork market.
I found that very exciting. Maybe even oem on some bikes...

Who knows.....

nicho
You're such a tease!

Can't wait to give the BOS on your bike the car park bonce test and form a thorough opinion of its performance, heh.

Looking forward to forks and a bigger range!

Cheers,

Ken

Bomb446

Likes Dirt
I like the idea of one of the worlds best suspension engineers producing a fork that may cost less than the current top level ones :D

Chuteboxe

Likes Bikes
Sweet!

thats excellent news! More serious suspension company's making quality product means the price has to drop and the standard has to go up!!!:):):)

bikeculture

bicycle boutique
bc is excited!!! we expect them to be as good or better than the boxxer kit in your forks nicho!!!! Ti spring for the rear shocks too mayb???

Yer so the pricepoint on the BOS suspension be on the porsche end of the scales espically if we get an australian importer that needs to actually make money off selling the product.

Last edited:

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Yer so the pricepoint on the BOS suspension be on the porsche end of the scales espically if we get an australian importer that needs to actually make money off selling the product.

edit:no need!

I don t know any importers who bring brands in Australia to loose money.
Just fill me in please.
if you want to rag on importers for making money why don't you chat to the big guys!!! But thanks for your support anyway!

nicho

p.s.: please unless you have serious arguments don t take this any further as i'm not keen to discuss an importer s money making business online.:cool:

Last edited:
What Im trying to say is if an importer was going to take it upon him/herself to make the BOS suspension have a competitive price in the australian market place at this current time it would be hard to make the wholesale price the same as other more competively price forks on the market at the moment.
They are a "boutique" brand name and dont have a massive factory that they can pump out 10000's of forks of a high qualitiy for a reasonable price yet. New brands never have much buying power and I dont know the history of the company or weather or not they are into moto suspension or anything but if they were that would make it easyer.
I doubt they will have a good fork ready for 2009 with an AUD rrp price of $2500 or less to be as competive as rock shox with price pointing at this time.

I have nothing agianst importers and will not discuss how much they make however I actually feel sorry for them because they are forever fighting with online stores, shops that wont pay the bills and squids on the internet thinking they know more then the people who are importers. :eek:

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
What Im trying to say is if an importer was going to take it upon him/herself to make the BOS suspension have a competitive price in the australian market place at this current time it would be hard to make the wholesale price the same as other more competively price forks on the market at the moment.
they are a "boutique" brand name and dont have a massive factory that they can pump out 10000's of forks of a high qualitiy for a reasonable price yet. New brands never have much buying power and I dont know the history of the company or weather or not they are into moto suspension or anything but if they were that would make it easyer.
I doubt they will have a good fork ready for 2009 with an AUD rrp price of $2500 or less to be as competive as rock shox with price pointing at this time.

You are arguing about prices that don't even exist yet, and you've even admitted that you don't know the manufacturing capabilities of BOS. I suggest you wait and see what the prices and quality are like, before you start whining on the internet about it.

nicho

Sacré bleu!
they are a "boutique" brand name and dont have a massive factory that they can pump out 10000's of forks of a high qualitiy for a reasonable price yet. New brands never have much buying power and I dont know the history of the company or weather or not they are into moto suspension or anything but if they were that would make it easyer.
Well well doesn't that post make more sense.
I prefer that than over generalisation about importers being crooks!
Well i'm glad to proove you wrong and anyone with a bit of background knowledge know that they are capable of the best suspension out there.
Well let me shed the light on what bos does shocks for:

- rallye cars (all subaru and mitsubishi rallye cars ride bos shocks)
bos suspended cars have and can win on bos shocks with no service to their shocks and oil. Aussie chris atkinson drives on bos suspended subaru!
-quad bikes
-motor bikes
and have been in bike suspension as long as rock shox.
Having sponsored the ten time world champ they have quite an extensive amount of info together to do one of the best product out there.

Now in terms of pricing :
The fork will definitely be very similarly price as the world cup. I can't confirm yet as they haven t released the prices yet. The fork is due in March anyway.

Now i'm sorry to upset you but Bos doesn't need to have buying power as they are a shock manufacturer not a complete bike builder.So that surely won't affect their pricing (marginally with the small parts but even then).

Again please read a bit more about them on www.bos-engineering.com .

If only you knew the quality of the suspension you would be blown away.

Nicho

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So from what I can tell they're using the same line of thinking as Avalanche in that they're going to valve the shock for the bike/rider. Is that correct?

Sounds good though!

nicho

Sacré bleu!
So from what I can tell they're using the same line of thinking as Avalanche in that they're going to valve the shock for the bike/rider. Is that correct?

Sounds good though!
shim stacked. yep!

it s been out for 1 year now.

i've been trying to hold back but i can't.

Nicho

p.s.:i already have three riders on the shocks so far and everyone is blown away. And i'll have another two by mid february.
Getting a shipment of bos cartridges for fox 40 s and boxxers and bos oil. developped through rally racing.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Competitive like the price point of nicolai vs giant? :rolleyes:
OMG. :rolleyes:

New brands never have much buying power and I dont know the history of the company or weather or not they are into moto suspension or anything but if they were that would make it easyer.
You're kidding?! Your making an argument on a subject of which you openly admit you know little to nothing about. Well done! Great job on derailing a thread for no good reason. Don't do it again please and if you wish to reply to this post, do it by PM, you've already posted enough negative crap in this thread.

Back O/T, great to see a new player in the market. Can only be a good thing in regards to choice and competition!

BJ-

Rota Imports
Thats exciting news...

I hope it works out for you nicho, id love to be able to run a BOS shock and fork one day. I cant wait to see the fork they come out with.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Don't own a dual-suspension bike, but i'm sure if I did this sh*t would be on the top of my list to buy.

They're just so sexy-lookin!