nitelight's - how do they rate

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Chuck, how did you go with reviveing that battery, still working?

I bought 2 spare packs and both died on the first ride and wont charge now :(
I got the dead battery working okay, but it would only run for 1.5 hours on high for the couple of times I tested it. It's fine for shorter rides I guess.

Are you sure it's not your charger?

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
I got the dead battery working okay, but it would only run for 1.5 hours on high for the couple of times I tested it. It's fine for shorter rides I guess.

Are you sure it's not your charger?
Thanks for that chuck, you saved me a heap of stuffing around. :cool:

Tried my other charger as i bought 2 lights originally and the other charger is working, showing a red light now. Whereas the other charger was showing a green light even with discharged battery's.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that chuck, you saved me a heap of stuffing around. :cool:

Tried my other charger as i bought 2 lights originally and the other charger is working, showing a red light now. Whereas the other charger was showing a green light even with discharged battery's.
My charger died too. Boo hoo. At least the other stuff is still ok.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Mostly they are great. There are a few battery issues and I guess you get what you pay for. At A$100-$120 I would just buy a set. The RRP is A$220, for that money I would consider Ay-UPs or something similar.

Just checked my dud battery and it looks like the cells are not charging/discharging evenly. Two cells are at 2.4 volts and the other two are 4.2 volts. This appears to stop the charging of the flat cells, the charger must think they are both charged. I then managed to get a small charge into the flat cells and the battery pack is now working. Will need to top up the two flats cell and then test it.
No way I'd pay twice what I can get them for at DX just to have the same issues.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I find it hard to imagine how there could be a serious safety issue with bike lights. It's not like electrocution is a possibility...

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I find it hard to imagine how there could be a serious safety issue with bike lights. It's not like electrocution is a possibility...
Ensure you handle Li-Po batteries with care & respect and all will be fine.

My cheapy deal extreme lights are still going strong after 2-3 months use.

Last edited:

Lard

Likes Dirt
Ensure you handle Li-Po batteries with care & respect and all will be fine.

My cheapy deal extreme lights are still going strong after 2-3 months use.
I've got 2 that are still going strong after 6 months. But it does slightly concern me that I strap a Li-Po battery to a piece of metal and shake it around violently for hours at a time.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well similar Li-Pol batteries in laptops have been known to spontaneously combust.

Are they the same batteries that toyota shove under all their "electric" cars ? :eek:

On topic, regular charge/discharge will wear the batteries out. The light unit should last a long time. Its easy to get a battery built up. Make it smaller for the 1.5 hr nigt ride, or larger for the longer night races....

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Not sure they would recall due to a quality issue. Most likely it's due to the charger or batteries catching fire.

Edit. Read this, seems they took my question in this post seriously. http://www.nitelights.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=41

I've had several issues with the Li-Ion battery packs not charging(including a Nitelights original) while others I know have had no issues at all.

Just apply these basic tips if you are concerned.

1. Charge the battery in the garage or similar area.
2. Keep and eye on the battery while charging and remove from the charger when it is charged.
3. Store the battery in the garage or similar area and somewhere cool.
4. Don't put the battery in your pocket, backpack or helmet in case it does catch fire while riding. (I made a Ni-MH battery pack using six AA rechargeable batteries, last 2hrs on med/low.)
5. Always ride with two lights. Nothing worse than the light cutting out on you in a techy section or the middle of nowhere. :eek:

Post em up if I missed anything.

Last edited:

frensham

Likes Dirt
Well similar Li-Pol batteries in laptops have been known to spontaneously combust.

The batteries supplied with Nitelights/Magicshine are Li-ion not LiPo. Li-ion are much safer.
Had my magicshines (charger with US plug and no C-tick) for twelve months now, charged dozens and dozens of times, still working beautifully.

matt_dog

Likes Bikes
The batteries supplied with Nitelights/Magicshine are Li-ion not LiPo. Li-ion are much safer.
Had my magicshines (charger with US plug and no C-tick) for twelve months now, charged dozens and dozens of times, still working beautifully.

Geoman in the states has started recalling Magicshine lights, after numerous cases of their batteries catching alight; some even not on charge or in use...

"Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November 2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine light set from us between June 2009 and November 2010, please discontinue using your light set until we are able to provide you with an upgraded replacement battery pack or another recall remedy. Despite our best efforts, this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take, appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this unprecedented situation our company is facing.

Geoman"

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
If Dave at Nitelights has done what he states here, then you should have a lot less to worry about if you purchased from Nitelights. The Nitelights charger pictured is different from the Magicshine and A$15,000 is similar to what I was quoted to do a C-Tick test locally, so Dave appears to have done the right thing by his customers here in Australia. Although my Nitelights branded battery pack does look like a normal standard Magicshine battery pack, and it slowly died just like a Magicshine battery pack.

The Magicshine chargers are fairly cheap, mine broke the earth pin off while plugging it in one day.

panthro

Squid
Im confused.....are magiclights the same as nightlites, except with nitelights having a better quality battery & charger?
A friend of mine got a 900 lumens nitelight from our LBS for $180 and doesnt have any use for it, is this a good deal?

frensham

Likes Dirt
Im confused.....are magiclights the same as nightlites, except with nitelights having a better quality battery & charger?
A friend of mine got a 900 lumens nitelight from our LBS for $180 and doesnt have any use for it, is this a good deal?
magicshine? yes, there are lots of different 'brands' but all are the same product from China. The only difference being the charger. You pay more if you buy in Aus because of the charger issues. $180 for a 'nitelight' is overpriced. Cell bikes had them for $99. Shop around.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
The Cell Bikes one is not a Nitelight as such, but it does have the AU plug. It's called a NiteStar, for what that's worth. The head unit is slightly different to the Nitelight/Magicshines also. Just fwiw.

liam92

Squid
I have sold several sets of the nitelights without any returns thus far. Im very doubtful they are the advertised 900 lumens, but they sure are a bright light for the money! The best setup I think would be to use the nitelight as a bar-mounted light and get something alittle smaller and sharper in its focus for your helmet.