No news coverage of Brosnan, hill and hannah

driftking

Wheel size expert
I dont expect a lot of coverage in the media, but something would be nice.

Sad that Troy wont even get a paragraph in his local paper.
He probably doesn't care, he has a wc win under his belt and had the respect in the field of riding. Its down in history now. A paper article last as long as someone reads it.

Three

Likes Bikes
He probably doesn't care, he has a wc win under his belt and had the respect in the field of riding. Its down in history now. A paper article last as long as someone reads it.
Probably not, but it's nice to be noticed.

...I do stand corrected however, he did get that paragraph in todays Advertiser.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Sad that Troy wont even get a paragraph in his local paper.
I doubt that. the local rags are good for covering locals doing well. We always get local paper, TV and radio coverage for our bigger events up here, as I said they are happy to publish what they get sent. And a local boy doing well will always get local ariplay. So long as there is someone in the community passing the info along

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I doubt that. the local rags are good for covering locals doing well. We always get local paper, TV and radio coverage for our bigger events up here, as I said they are happy to publish what they get sent. And a local boy doing well will always get local ariplay. So long as they is someone in the community passing the info along
True that - imagine a journalist managing to follow locals when doing well abroad. Bahahaha....

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
True that - imagine a journalist managing to follow locals when doing well abroad. Bahahaha....
You can't expect them to do actual work when they are busy not editting my spelling and answering hate mail and stuff.

Hell if every one wrote a quick email to one of the sports reporters for their states/cities major paper asking if they had any info on the 3 Aussies that made a the world cup podium this weekend we may just spark their interest.
Get on it people.
You never know.

driftking

Wheel size expert
classic example of the shitness that is main stream news.
Today's story was about a cat that had come home after been missing for 13 years.......

news - Giving the people the important information?

new is a media numbers game they want ratings.

tumble

Likes Dirt
It makes me wonder whether Cycling Australia or MTBA have anyone at all doing publicity for this type of result.
Surely someone from one of these bodies has connections or could spend some time on the phone to the media to ensure this news reaches some mainstream media. Just having us plebs email our local TV stations is unlikely to inspire them to do a story but if it comes from a governing body such as MTBA it just may be (if it's a slow news day & they're struggling for Sport news).
True 60+ year olds don't give two hoots about it but getting ANY airtime on ANY prime time media can only be beneficial for the industry as a whole.

On the news this arvo,
local lagoon bursts its banks, Kids ride stationary wave. Some got swept out to see and had to be saved bla bla bla.
they even had a reporter on scene. quote " there is no point coming out here today to find the waves as all is left is this flat sand" or some shit like that....
WOW.......

In my opinion it would be great to get exposure and let people understand it, but I kinda like the underground existence it has..Lets leave it this way

Big congratulations to Troy and Sam, was an excellent race and really kept me on my seat.
I hope Austria will be the same

dunndog

Eats Squid
Cam zinks huge bail over the canyon gap at Rampage 2(?) Years ago made it onto the news here, with the news guy saying "and after the break, some wild bmx action from America". This year Kelly Mac's viral go pro footage was shown in part on the news. It seems they only feed on the (ahem) extreme end of mountain biking, the death defying stuff that makes the general public drop their jaw for 10 seconds because it's visually unbelievable to the masses. Same with surfing, it used to be only a massive pit from teahupu that got a run as play of the day, but over time as money has funnelled into the sport the coverage has picked up a lot. Its really only been the past few years that results from each leg of the surfing tour have been reported on the news. There really is no money in mountain biking, and it has no where near the market share that surfing has. But it is pretty weak not to acknowledge an Aussie victory on the world stage on any given day, they do report some pretty obscure results sometimes..

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Cam zinks huge bail over the canyon gap at Rampage 2(?) Years ago made it onto the news here, with the news guy saying "and after the break, some wild bmx action from America". This year Kelly Mac's viral go pro footage was shown in part on the news. It seems they only feed on the (ahem) extreme end of mountain biking, the death defying stuff that makes the general public drop their jaw for 10 seconds because it's visually unbelievable to the masses. Same with surfing, it used to be only a massive pit from teahupu that got a run as play of the day, but over time as money has funnelled into the sport the coverage has picked up a lot. Its really only been the past few years that results from each leg of the surfing tour have been reported on the news. There really is no money in mountain biking, and it has no where near the market share that surfing has. But it is pretty weak not to acknowledge an Aussie victory on the world stage on any given day, they do report some pretty obscure results sometimes..
No money in it? Is Road cycling the same? Bicycles are a massive money turning industry, I would have thought the bike manufacturers themselves should push for it. Imagine spesh doing an add in the commercial break then a cross to some results.

Sent by courier pigeon

quin66

Likes Dirt
The vast majority don't even know what mountain biking is. There definitely are a lot of riders about but nobody sees us cos we're out in the bush getting away from the vast majority.
Just the other day my 22 year old skater dude nephew said to me with some surprise about mtbing "Wow its a pretty big sport that". I told him to wake up its massive but only to those who get it. People think we are a bit odd riding around the bush on bicycles and the mainstream media are not interested. Their loss.
Well done to all the Aussies and Kiwis racing.

dunndog

Eats Squid
No money in it? Is Road cycling the same? Bicycles are a massive money turning industry, I would have thought the bike manufacturers themselves should push for it. Imagine spesh doing an add in the commercial break then a cross to some results.

Sent by courier pigeon
Well road cycling has plenty of money in it, and that's reflected in the media coverage. We''re not talking about road cycling. And no, there's relatively no money in mtb.

konabiker

Likes Bikes
This is nothing new its been happening forever, the reality is mountain biking is not mainstream at all, you may get a few mentions of the likes of cadel evans and mostly road riders but once you get into the more extreme scene you get nothing out side the circles.
For me the most notable with troy winning jnr worlds and sam winning elite worlds on the same day with no coverage yet a random aussie golfer made the top 70cut and was in the news.

The thing is these riders don't do this for coverage and while it is frustrating to see this happen they are acknowledged where it counts and institutes like cycling Australia do support riders, Hill in the past has won an Australian of the year award.
Ultimately we ride because we love it we shouldn't need to worry about external validation of what we do, we know how hard this sport is, I have been vocal on the forums clearly stating I see it has one of the most involved and difficult sports in the world there is so much involved. That does not mean other athletes put in less work but they are stretched between less factors and I stand by that firmly additional the mental aspect is easily one of the hardest, its facing fear and injury head on with high risk tracks, takes a bit more to ride that fast than run 100meter mentally.

Back on point though, its the situation we are in and that goes the other way too, we are not mainstream and that contributes to the good demographic we have, we are able to maintain this very close nit welcoming community, the more mainstream it goes the more wankers you get coming into the sport. It does shit me that riders are paid peanuts compared to other arguably lesser sports but you know what the riders are there for the love of it and to be the best I don't know many that are driven by money otherwise your in the wrong sport.

My advice is learn to accept the sport is how it is and not worry about what everyone else thinks, go ride enjoy it and be happy in what you accomplished not how much acknowledgment your receive.

+1 Gotta agree with all you've said there driftking!

Mountain biking is a minority sport compared to some other mainstream sports like football. Unfortunately the media will always go with what appeals to the masses..and what brands and products more people will buy!

These guys finishing at the top in the WC races are really doing the same as the Australian team making the final at the WC in Brazil.
Imagine the stir in the news that would be if that happened..

And these mtber's argually have as much if not more skills than the F1 drivers or tennis players that earn gizillions!!

Is what it is..I'm ok with it that way..the trails are busy enough.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'm just saying how many folks run out to buy a football when they see a sports report vs how many might go hey that looks like fun I'll buy a bike?

Sent by courier pigeon

floody

Wheel size expert
I'm just saying how many folks run out to buy a football when they see a sports report vs how many might go hey that looks like fun I'll buy a bike?
Ahh, see you're thinking of football as a sport there, that's the first mistake, as its a TV show designed to sell merchandise.