Noisy rear hub

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I heard it increased the chances of gumming up your pawls, slipping, and munting stuff... @The Duckmeister?
according to this video for my hub... its ok to add more! :)

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey is just a card carrying member of NRA and AHOSH

Never Ride Ashimanohub
Always Hate On Shimano Hubs
:p Was going to come up with some acronyms.....you beat me and did it better. It does sadden me that shimano can be soooo good, and also soooo bad. mayes it very hard knowing whether to get a tattoo or not.

PJO

in me vL comy
:p Was going to come up with some acronyms.....you beat me and did it better. It does sadden me that shimano can be soooo good, and also soooo bad. mayes it very hard knowing whether to get a tattoo or not.
I don't have as big an issue with them as you do. I have a set on my commuter that have been solid for 10 years and serviced maybe three times over that period, mind you only road use so no fine dust to worry them. Wasn't worth building up an expensive hubset on a bike that is more likely to get stolen.

My only real issues are lack of good sealing for mtb use and the poor engagement on the freehubs but recently I've noticed that the latter mid to higher end models all have are 36 points minimum which is not terrible anymore.

I know you hate CL but it is better than fucking around with 6-tiny screws, I think it is pretty a good solution for rotor attachment.

moorey

call me Mia
Poor engagement. Poor sealing. Biggest issue for me is the number of bikes I have to work on for others. Kids bring me a bike that dad either bought new and hasn’t maintained, or they’ve bought a bike that wasn’t maintained. 9/10 times the wheels are munted, and parents have no interest in buying new wheels....not that decent 26” wheels are around anyway.
I pack them with grease, adjust the cones, do what I can to keep the bike rolling...but it’s all downhill once they are munted.

Reactions: PJO

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I don't have as big an issue with them as you do. I have a set on my commuter that have been solid for 10 years and serviced maybe three times over that period, mind you only road use so no fine dust to worry them. Wasn't worth building up an expensive hubset on a bike that is more likely to get stolen.

My only real issues are lack of good sealing for mtb use and the poor engagement on the freehubs but recently I've noticed that the latter mid to higher end models all have are 36 points minimum which is not terrible anymore.

I know you hate CL but it is better than fucking around with 6-tiny screws, I think it is pretty a good solution for rotor attachment.
Poor engagement. Poor sealing. Biggest issue for me is the number of bikes I have to work on for others. Kids bring me a bike that dad either bought new and hasn’t maintained, or they’ve bought a bike that wasn’t maintained. 9/10 times the wheels are munted, and parents have no interest in buying new wheels....not that decent 26” wheels are around anyway.
I pack them with grease, adjust the cones, do what I can to keep the bike rolling...but it’s all downhill once they are munted.
Time will tell, but the new XT hubs have great engagement at least!!! All things fall part without maintenance though. I keep being given bikes to "have a look at" for friends and IF PEOPLE COULD LEARN TO OIL THEIR FUCKING CHAINS TO START WITH, the world would be a better place. Free love you'll.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Maybe overtightened from when the wheels were built. I ran my rear XT hub with the Shimano factory green grease for a long time and it looked fine. That grease does look a bit lightweight compared to Pedros but didn't seem to be a concern.

It is a difficult world tearing you apart inside if you like Shimano cranksets but diss their hubs.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe overtightened from when the wheels were built. I ran my rear XT hub with the Shimano factory green grease for a long time and it looked fine. That grease does look a bit lightweight compared to Pedros but didn't seem to be a concern.

It is a difficult world tearing you apart inside if you like Shimano cranksets but diss their hubs.
Cranks, drivetrain, brakes........basically everything except their hubs.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You people are fools! Give up your outdated superstition and leave Shimano hubs where they belong! In the bin...only then will hey get the message - sealed bearings or nothing!