Norco sight a1 2018... anyone had a ride?

SAM08R

Squid
Bike upgrade on the radar. Looking at the norco sight a1 29

In the background considering the fuel ex and a transition smuggler.

Anyone have any time on the A1.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Don't think you could go wrong with any of those. 130 travel 29ers are right in the sweet spot for versatility.

I owned a 2017 Fuel EX9, it was a great bike and extremely versatile.

Was considering putting a 140mm fork on it or selling it and buying the sight you're looking at. With the Fox 36 fork and piggy back shock it sits a bit more on the descending side than the Fuel if that's what you're after.

I didn't ride the sight but looked at one at the shop, looked really nice. I think bang for buck the Norco has it and you don't have the potential headaches of the proprietary Trek stuff either, knock block, reaktiv shock etc not that any of that gave me any trouble.

I ended up with a Range after having a demo on one and was blown away not only by how it descended but how well it climbed for its travel.

SAM08R

Squid
Thanks for your reply T.3

Have test ridden (admittedly short ride) the 2018 Sight C2, very impressed with geometry rear end kinematics and parts spec, but I am accident prone hence carbon and I will not get along, leading to my interest in the A1. Only hesitation with committing to the A1 is whether the fork and shock combination is a little to burly (if there is such a thing) leading to the bike feeling less fun and snappy than the C2 that i demoed.

My brother has the Trek EX 8 2017 and have spent quite a bit of time on it... great bike, but the Sight just gives you that extra fun factor when you get off the brakes... IMO

I assume if you have the Range it may have the same front and rear suspension components (Fox 36 performance, Fox DPX2)? Are they as impressive as the MTB publications would lead you to believe?

Z

Zaf

Get the carbon! You wont break it, even if you try.

I wouldn't count the Trek out for proprietary reasons. The RE:Aktiv stuff has been fairly well field tested at this point and proven as reliable as any other shock, and their shock spacing's on all the models since MY2016 have been in line with standard Metric shocks, so there are plenty of aftermarket readily available.

That said, there is a lot of competition in that 130mm 29er playground, and a lot of REALLY good options:
Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Evil Following or Following MB
Devinci Marshall or Django
Yeti SB4.5c
Santa Cruz Tallboy or Hightower
Ibis Ripley LS
etc. etc. etc.

This is me being helpful by the way. But go and buy the Tranny Smuggler, it's well cool and sexy and your biggest risk is drowning in women from looking so rad riding it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Thats a very long message zaf.

For those not interested in essays; buy a tranny. ;)

Or guerilla gravity, there also awesome.

Reactions: Zaf

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Or guerilla gravity, there also awesome.
Out of interest, how do you buy a GG frame ? Their site only seems to offer pickup of ground postage. Is there an Australian distrubutor/dealer, or just direct sales ?

I'd also go the smuggler for an all road trail rig.

Z

Zaf

Out of interest, how do you buy a GG frame ? Their site only seems to offer pickup of ground postage. Is there an Australian distrubutor/dealer, or just direct sales ?

I'd also go the smuggler for an all road trail rig.

www.bikebrew.com.au

He's the Aussie retailer for them, and has been great in e-mail inquiries (was looking into grabbing The Smash recently...still thinking about it). There can be a lead time on orders, as GG seem to do an order run and then production run based off the orders they get, but think that's still only a 6-8week turnaround into Aus.

He also sells MRP...so if you wanna do a Team 'Merica build, he's the guy to bundle it with.

Also, this thread is now about every other bike in existence other than a Sight A1.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.3

Likes Dirt
No problem.

I don't think the A1 v C2 suspension will feel burlier as such but the top spec Rock Shox stuff will likely feel better than the lower tiered Fox Stuff. The feel of the bike should remain relatively the same though.

I ended up getting the Range C9.3 part of the attraction was it having DVO Diamond fork and Topaz shock that so far feels ridiculously good.

They do a carbon sight with the DVO fork and a fox shock as well if you can overcome your worries about carbon and could stretch a bit money wise.

Good luck with your decision I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the bikes mentioned it's just a matter of finding the one that's that little more suited to what you're after

SAM08R

Squid
If the sight C3 had a better (read... DVO) shock it may have already been purchased (however brakes immediately upgraded and maybe the dropper). Local shop had great things to say about DVO gear.

Thanks for the advice Zaf. FYI i am more likely to brake the frame in the garage than on the trails :(
Have test rode a few on the list and a few a prohibitively expensive or geometry does not suit. Currently on a Remedy with the DRCV, no real concerns regarding the proprietary parts with Trek (excl. knock block). The fuel just doesn't ride with as much excitement at the Norco and the spec at similar price point alloy bike was not comparable.

My Sight C2 test ride reflected the Bible of Bike guys opinions almost exactly, see video link below. However had hesitations the alloy frame (stiffness) and weightier parts would change the ride feel.

SAM08R

Squid
thanks ducky1988 nice to hear a good report. Do you know the weight of the bike? What were your concerns regarding the wheelset?

bike looks great, what cage and bottle did you buy to fit with the DPx2 shock?

.... so many quesions ! :)

bear the bear

Is a real bear
So picked up a Sight C2 demo bike today... and it's a ripper.
Have it for the next 4 days and then an option to purchase at a great price.
First ride already shaved chunks of time off on the downhills, very neutral with no bad habits yet.

SAM08R

Squid
So I jumped in and purchase the Sight C2 29.... could not be happier.

After 3 weeks of riding pretty regularly I can confirm it is as they say in the video above... it does everything well.

Main thing that I am enjoying is how easy the bike is to get off the ground, wheelie and manual etc. Something that I struggled with on the Fuel. IMO there is a lot more going on with how easy a bike is to manual than the chainstay lengths. Considering the Fuel = 432mm and the Sight = 435mm, I would say the sight is twice as easy to get the front up and therefore very playful, on par or maybe even better than my last bike (remedy 27.5). More to do with overall rear suspension kinematics than chainstay length alone.

It is not as plush as the Fuel EX over small chattery stuff when sitting and pedalling but is hands down a better descender, handles the steeps with so much ease and stability.

Spec is awesome, the usual suspects will be promptly changed out, grips, saddle, maybe bars.

Got the bike for $5700.... could not see even close to that value in the competitors offerings, and besides the value this frame just rips.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That great news. I'm tempted by them due to the size specific shock tune, frame tubing and CS length.

The Horst link is a question for me and I'm uncertain about it relative to Trek's ABP. I tried the OGHT and it just wasn't for me as I'm tall and the STA didn't work for my tastes.

I find it hard to believe it's as good as the press it gets, especially after feeling like I couldn't get off the HT quick enough as that gets a very strong following.

Glad you love the bike!