AM Norco Sight A7.1

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Third ride on the PNW dropper, and the best thing I can say about it is that I don't notice it. It just does what I need it to do.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I got the suspension serviced recently, and the bike feels amazing! Probably better than when it was new, because I've really got the hang of riding it now, and a better idea of how to tweak this and that.

When the shop put the fork back on, they put the stem a bit lower, with one 5mm spacer between the stem and the top cap, where it used to sit flush. I didn't know if I'd like it like that. I was worried I'd be too bent over the front. But I gave it a go, and I farkin' love it!

It's better on climbs (of course), and also noticeably better through corners. I don't have to be as conscious about putting my weight over the front wheel; it just happens. If someone had suggested such a small thing would make that much difference, I would have been quite skeptical. But just having it done, and with the placebo effect not being a factor, the difference is noticeable. And no negative effect on descending that I noticed, although I've yet to ride anything really steep.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
It's had a few more upgrades!

Drive train is now GX Eagle 520%. I just can't get the bloody thing to shift cleanly and consistently. Need to play around with the B screw some more, and maybe swap out the derailleur hanger for a new one.

After destroying the stock rear rim through a combination of too low tyre pressure and smashing through the Lactic Acid rock gardens at speed, I had it replaced with a Spank Vibrocore, and replaced the rear tyre with a tougher casing WTB Trail Boss, running at around 30psi. Huge difference! I thought it would be skittery as heck, but I find I'm actually getting a lot more grip and better support in corners. Got the matchy-matchy WTB Vigilante for the front, and I'm very impressed. It's at least as grippy as a Minion, without the dreaded Minion gap.

I'm still having a blast on this bike every time I ride it.