NSW rollercoaster series 2016

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
RC_Stromlo_2016.jpg

Excited anyone? Still need to finetune them as I don't know if we can finish via the parking lot and firetrail on the red track but worst case scenario is we just shorten the track. I'd prefer to have 3 finishes at the same spot.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Excited anyone? Still need to finetune them as I don't know if we can finish via the parking lot and firetrail on the red track but worst case scenario is we just shorten the track. I'd prefer to have 3 finishes at the same spot.
Some fun tracks! Can I suggest running the trails red -> orange -> blue -> green? Doesn't really matter, as long as red isn't last... it's a LOT of hammering on the pedals!

Also, is it possible to break skyline in half, and send racers down northern express to the first fire road, then back up to skyline? I've always thought it would be a fun raceday surprise - but there are probably issues...

Fingers crossed I can actually turn up to race this one!! thanks HEAPS for organising these things :)

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Some fun tracks! Can I suggest running the trails red -> orange -> blue -> green? Doesn't really matter, as long as red isn't last... it's a LOT of hammering on the pedals!

Also, is it possible to break skyline in half, and send racers down northern express to the first fire road, then back up to skyline? I've always thought it would be a fun raceday surprise - but there are probably issues...

Fingers crossed I can actually turn up to race this one!! thanks HEAPS for organising these things :)
The timing system allows you to run which ever order you like

Going to be a lots of climbing between runs

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
The timing system allows you to run which ever order you like

Going to be a lots of climbing between runs

Ah neat, so it's possible to ride to suit your strengths :) An XC whippet will ride red last, others will just get it out of the way!

yes, climb fest whichever way the cake is cut!

goatman

Likes Dirt
Is it mandatory you ride to the top? We did it in 2013 and everyone was shuttling.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
All that climbing in three hours is more like a XC race. I reckon a fair few people won't be able to complete it in the time?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Ben_M

Likes Bikes
All that climbing in three hours is more like a XC race. I reckon a fair few people won't be able to complete it in the time?
The additional climb to the top of the red track is not as bad as all of the others so it shouldn't add too much extra effort. Not going to be easy though.

Shuttling was provided in 2013, has been banned since then.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt

3 hours 4 tracks and 4 climbs will be hard for some for sure..

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Well I'm in. Look out for a tall bloke with a beard in a white bell super on a black 301 :) Happy to help out with routing to stages if you're unfamiliar with Stromlo.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Well I'm in. Look out for a tall bloke with a beard in a white bell super on a black 301 :) Happy to help out with routing to stages if you're unfamiliar with Stromlo.
What options are there apart from the cockatoo switchbacks ascent?

Are there any fire roads that will be more efficient?

Any top tips and handy hints gratefully received.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
My race plan is this:

playground -> logs -> fire road -> blackberry climb -> fireroad -> red. You can add slant six and then blue tongue, but you might need to do a little bush bash at the top of blue tongue to avoid mad descenders -it gets quite close to little seymour (red race track). Could also go wattle happen -> blackberry climb -> fireroad. Homeview junction might be a bit hectic depending on how red finishes!

cockatoo switchbacks -> abc switchbacks -> city view -> yellow.

route to red + heartbreaker -> wedgetail -> blue.

double dissolution fireroad -> hard as nails fireroad (casuarina climb) -> green.

if you don't want to go over the top to get to green/blue, you can take the route to red and keep going along fire road to willo link to the top of double dissolution, then up casuarina climb (push for many people). Which means you do casuarina climb twice (once to get to green/blue, once to get back from up blue)

There's also a fireroad shortcut which removes emu run and ABC switchbacks - take a right uphill at the start of emu run, end up at the rest stop just before city view. But it's a bugger (steep).

Anyway, happy to hear of other ways to get around - Stromlo is pretty much my local, but there's still stuff I don't know about. I bought the GU pack as well - I reckon I'll need a couple :)

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome to enduro racing you must climb to get the time.

Just wish i was able to make it down there to race next weekend

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Stupid question, from someone who has never raced this kind of event - what do people do for hydration? Carry a pack or just grab a drink at the bottom?

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Stupid question, from someone who has never raced this kind of event - what do people do for hydration? Carry a pack or just grab a drink at the bottom?

...as many answers as riders :) I carry a hydration pack. Not sure what rocky trails' official stance on carrying first aid/spares etc is, but it's usually what I carry on most rides anyways.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
oh snap. In case you're planning to drive - there's a road ride/race leaving from Stromlo the same day, so parking will be tight.

Also - (stomp on me if this is not kosher) - if there are no rules about shuttling for practice, there's a pickup point here:

https://goo.gl/maps/9zERkjX2Z5n

..where you can pull off the road. Or just a touch up stromlo rd. (you'll see it if you go look at the map). Just look out for cars and cyclists zooming by (the usual - 80 zone starts, lets floor it!), and horses :). This will hopefully avoid a carpark clusterfuck if you want to just get a lift up the hill in practice.

If you've only got gas for one practice run, do yellow. It's gonna be a blast :)

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
If you've only got gas for one practice run, do yellow. It's gonna be a blast :)
Question on yellow - so they say it's the downhill track but with diversions around the a-lines and b lines added. Are these obvious or taped/marked out so you can see what the race run will be before hand?

Similar question with the red loop, not actually sure where that is?

Plan on practicing Saturday so be good to know where to go.

Cheers

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question on yellow - so they say it's the downhill track but with diversions around the a-lines and b lines added. Are these obvious or taped/marked out so you can see what the race run will be before hand?

Similar question with the red loop, not actually sure where that is?

Plan on practicing Saturday so be good to know where to go.

Cheers
They were very clearly marked last year. The Yellow is essentially Vapour, over the bridge then a diverge left to avoid the rock gardens leading into triple treat then then down the south side of the 4 cross track finishing juts over the bridge. All the bigger jumps were taped off and forcing you into the smaller stuff.

Cheers Scott.