Obligatory new bike thread

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Intense sniper if more xc based or Intense primer for more of a trail bike. Intense have a bit of a sale on so their prices are a bit closer to where they should have been in the first place. Might be worth a look.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
So, you are going to buy a 29er Banshee bike...

If you are more of an XC/trail guy then Phantom
EDIT - Mine's a V2, the new V3 will take a 140mm fork and has 115mm shock travel

If you want more of an All-rounder and like pointing the bike downhill, then Prime.
EDIT - V3 Prime will take a 160mm fork, with 135mm shock travel.

I find the Phantom zips along nicely on XC and moderate trails and goes uphill well, but I feel a little underbiked @120mm fork travel on techy downs. That's in part, this rider's lack of skill, I suspect.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Thanks for the help guys and opinions- I am at work and read them all just cant always reply - won’t get a smuggler as that’s what I had - and I have decided against the Spur partly the wait and then it is similar to what I had - still looking but basic issues is still wrong time to buy again :)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thanks for the help guys and opinions- I am at work and read them all just cant always reply - won’t get a smuggler as that’s what I had - and I have decided against the Spur partly the wait and then it is similar to what I had - still looking but basic issues is still wrong time to buy again :)
rotes revert 5.0 navy or red rotec revert 5.0

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was looking at similar bikes. Test rode an occam then immediately ordered it. I believe it’s in transit from Spain - did the whole customisation thing with colours etc and couldn’t be happier. It’s a very efficient trail bike which suited me from the get go.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
rotes revert 5.0 navy or red rotec revert 5.0
It's like advice I would give! Follow this advice @Minlak and provided there are no fires I'll sling you a discount on a week of intensive training on how to put it to work...you know - crusing to the shops, mouthing off at people, nearly getting ran over in traffic, riding the median strip, and of course blocking the roll on for the dirt jumps while spining shit about the golden era.

I'd ran one of the bikes with a virtual pivot set up. I dig the way DW link rides, so ibis...but banshee look good and so do intense.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I thought they were using the same front triangle as the SB100 but with a different shock and linkage (therefore same potential issues)?
Yep same front and rear triangle but (from appearances) they've beefed up the SI linkage massively. In theory it should fix the torsional flex that's been causing so much premature wear on SB100s.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Considering this thread is doing the usual glorious Rotorburn derail and it's probably only a matter of time before someone suggests a Banshee Titan, I'm gonna weigh in again.

SB130. Get one. They're f***ing mad. "Oh but it's a Yeti and they're made of wet newspaper and break all the time and you'll look like a wanker." While the last one is probably true, the first two aren't and while I'm too stupid to understand how the SI linkage works I can confirm it's all kinds of magic on the trail, powering up all kinds of weirdburger climbs with total nonchalance then demolishing descents at a pace that feels like an out of body experience more times then I'd care to admit. Best of all, the geometry encourages (actually demands) a very active riding style and body positioning that's actually made me a better rider.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Damn it, I want a Phantom V3 or Prime V3 now...
Me too - well more likely a Prime to go with my Smuggler.

@Minlak what did you dislike about the Smuggler to move on from it? Or just new bike time? The Spur seems like it tightens up on that concept, but makes it lighter/ more playful and a better day-in-the-saddle platform?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Bike brands:

"We've tested this frame for thousands of hours under dozens of riders for the last year"

Yeti:
Alright I'll bite. At least they're trying something new and their warranty response is bang on. It's why I tend to skip over criticism of brands like Cannondale and Lapierre too. I reckon it's better to be innovative rather than "hey guys check out this suspension we totally didn't nick from Specialized when they weren't looking."

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Buy the yeti if you’re happy being the Beta tester.

There’s no doubt the bikes work, but I won’t be surprised when You post another thread in 12 months time looking for a new frame.

Banshee or revel would be my pick.

Alright I'll bite. At least they're trying something new and their warranty response is bang on. It's why I tend to skip over criticism of brands like Cannondale and Lapierre too. I reckon it's better to be innovative rather than "hey guys check out this suspension we totally didn't nick from Specialized when they weren't looking."
I’m all for innovation but the issue is the consumers are the testers. And as for FSR, the patent ran out so why not use it. There’s a reason so many bikes look a session and all decent front forks are telescopic.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The industry is just full of brand snobs or cool-aid drinkers, they'll never understand. :p